Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 03-23-2022, 10:17 AM
Auction Addict

Default 2004 Dodge 3500 tranny

Pulled the son's new 26' RV back to his place last week, and noticed a couple times when pulling a hill I had some vibration/chattering in the tranny. Went away on the flats. Stopped in at my local mechanic and asked if it was my tranny clutch disk. He said I was right. So now no more towing till I decide what to do about it. A new rebuilt from Jasper and it runs $6200. Not including torque converter.

Truck is a 2004 Dodge 3500 Cummins with a 48RE tranny and has 280K. Engine replaced in 2017.

Also considering getting a newer model. Likely a 2500 4WD this time.

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. Plato

LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
Old 03-23-2022, 11:34 AM
Administrator

Tough choice.

Not sure I’d go Jasper though. At old job, when we ( I was driving at the time unfortunately), the work van lost the oil cooler that was zip tied to the radiator and dragged on the ground, putting a hole in it and thus losing all engine oil. About 15 miles from the shop, van stranded me on side of road.

Boss researched and decided to put in a rebuilt Jasper ( Chevy 350) in it. Coworker and I did the change out.

About 9 months later, it was acting up. We then took it to another mechanic shop, and he put in another rebuilt warranty engine.

About a year after I left, motor went out again, and has been at the mechanic shop for about 3 years now. Not sure what exactly happened, but have not heard good things about Jasper motors from several other people too.

Maybe their transmission are better. But, with the problems we have locally with finding/ keeping quality help, I hear those problems are all over the country, so research who will give the best warranty, and hopefully they will stand behind their word.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 03-23-2022, 11:53 AM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by toprecycler View Post
Tough choice.

Not sure I’d go Jasper though. At old job, when we ( I was driving at the time unfortunately), the work van lost the oil cooler that was zip tied to the radiator and dragged on the ground, putting a hole in it and thus losing all engine oil. About 15 miles from the shop, van stranded me on side of road.

Boss researched and decided to put in a rebuilt Jasper ( Chevy 350) in it. Coworker and I did the change out.

About 9 months later, it was acting up. We then took it to another mechanic shop, and he put in another rebuilt warranty engine.

About a year after I left, motor went out again, and has been at the mechanic shop for about 3 years now. Not sure what exactly happened, but have not heard good things about Jasper motors from several other people too.

Maybe their transmission are better. But, with the problems we have locally with finding/ keeping quality help, I hear those problems are all over the country, so research who will give the best warranty, and hopefully they will stand behind their word.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jasper has a 5 year tranny warranty. My mechanic is a Jasper listed installer.

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. Plato

LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
Old 03-23-2022, 12:23 PM

That seems a bit high to me. I rebuilt the 48RE in my 98 back before the Covid mess. I seem to recall rebuilds being in the $1800 to $2500 range then. That’s just the trans. No install but I can R&R mine in 3 hours so shop time shouldn’t be too much.
I would shop around some. Those trans have been around a long time lots of places rebuilding them.
Old 03-23-2022, 04:51 PM
Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip knot View Post
That seems a bit high to me. I rebuilt the 48RE in my 98 back before the Covid mess. I seem to recall rebuilds being in the $1800 to $2500 range then. That’s just the trans. No install but I can R&R mine in 3 hours so shop time shouldn’t be too much.
I would shop around some. Those trans have been around a long time lots of places rebuilding them.
I had a 46RE my local shop quoted $1900 for a rebuilt trans including R&R.

Me and the kids did it for under $700.

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 03-23-2022, 07:34 PM
Auction Addict

I did find a upgrade for the 48RE tranny from this place. 2K cheaper than Jasper and free shipping with new torque converter.. A bit heavier duty than the stock 48RE.

LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
Old 03-23-2022, 08:43 PM

I had about $900-$1000 in mine by the time I was done. Had to pull it twice. Evidently proper endplay is important .

Monster trans and ATS were both real competitive price wise back when I was looking.
Old 03-23-2022, 10:32 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip knot View Post
I had about $900-$1000 in mine by the time I was done. Had to pull it twice. Evidently proper endplay is important .

Monster trans and ATS were both real competitive price wise back when I was looking.
I will check those out. Thanks.

I did check them out. Fairly competitive with each other. Still prefer the one I linked in post 6. They gave much more detail in what the upgrade consisted of.

LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!

Last edited by milomilo; 03-23-2022 at 10:45 PM.
Old 03-23-2022, 10:45 PM
Elite Member

I had good luck with Jasper engines in the past, never had one of their trannys. Although that price seems pretty rich. Another place I've heard good things about is BTS, Brian's Truck Shop out of Arkansas.

Sent from my mobile device using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
Old 03-24-2022, 09:21 AM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBFab View Post
I had good luck with Jasper engines in the past, never had one of their trannys. Although that price seems pretty rich. Another place I've heard good things about is BTS, Brian's Truck Shop out of Arkansas.

Sent from my mobile device using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
Asked for a quote. Thanks.

LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!