Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 04-19-2022, 02:31 PM
Twice the size--half the man

If you get too deep into the 3D printed gun culture, it will bite you. There has always been a limit to the number of non-serialized parts you can make for yourself, though it would be really tough to prove more were made. The guys currently involved in the dissemination of ideas, prints, and instructions on how to make your own guns using 3D printers are under constant scrutiny by the algorithm. I'm just close enough to catch a whiff (good word, had to re-use) of it, and as such have started limiting my social exposure with the holster business.

The home user, toy machines are definitely capable. But the brainpower and attention to detail required are far beyond most people's ability. It would be no different than sitting a 7-11 cashier down in front of a HAAS milling machine that had the program loaded but nothing else--and telling them to make a jet turbine blade. There are some mighty big steps in between that have to be taken into consideration before a usable part is done.

The gov't/media claims are well blown out of proportion on the issue. The reality, that's being used to justify the attack on liberty, is that most 'ghost guns' are simply stolen firearms that have had the serial number removed. Even the recent NYC Subway deal has been called a ghost gun--because someone lightly defaced the numbers. Those that realize the farce but are still anti-2A claim that this is the exact reason that all guns must be numbered and registered.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-04-19 142544.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	164405  

Wade's Custom Kydex
Old 05-17-2022, 10:34 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toprecycler View Post
I’m not saying it is better than 100 years ago, but honestly how many of us are willing to go back to the days when you had a horse to get around, and you had to plant and grow all your own food, cut trees down by hand to make your house, and go outside to use the outhouse.

Progress comes with a price.

Attachment 164400

Attachment 164401
Attachment 164402
This is often the response I get when I “spew my nonsensical jibberish”. This is about perspective and how so many seem to have lost it. Modern society is loaded with what someone from just 60 years ago would call miracles. Was the standard of living not high enough back then? Knowing about all the control and monitoring systems found in nearly everything these days and the impact it is having on our freedom, I would rather just be satisfied with the way it was.

I see things like 3D printers as a baited trap. We peruse things that we think are making our lives better by increasing comfort or allowing us to do more faster but in the end we loose by empowering others.

It started hitting the fan in the 1950's https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nRnNDkHb0MU

A technologically advanced society would teach their children how to start a fire by rubbing two sticks together before teaching them how to use a lighter.

If you are not having fun then you are doing it wrong.

Last edited by threepiece; 05-17-2022 at 10:44 AM.