Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 10-30-2020, 12:04 AM
Elite Member

Cutting the key way. I cobbled together a bracket and a U bolt to secure the shaft.

I installed the motor on my compressor. The next sandblasting job will be coming soon. I get to try out my new to me Lindsay 200 sandblaster then as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9137E871-59CE-4289-A11C-D6284B8F0125.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	196.9 KB
ID:	158217  

It started hitting the fan in the 1950's https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nRnNDkHb0MU

A technologically advanced society would teach their children how to start a fire by rubbing two sticks together before teaching them how to use a lighter.

If you are not having fun then you are doing it wrong.
Old 10-30-2020, 11:34 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagiant View Post
Hi,
Looks good, I would not of done it that way, but...

I would of machined a step on the shaft stub and then a peice of steel to fit that, with just enough room to pre solder (tin?) those together...

Then would of drilled a 1/8" inch hole through the middle and peened a peice of drill rod to mechanically lock it.

That would of kept the heat down, protecting the bearings and the new shaft would be auto aligned, so to speak!
I would have seriously considered this if I gave you chance to respond before I started.

However, I question my ability to solder this fast enough so as not to allow too much heat into the shaft. I can see myself spending a minute or more getting the solder to flow.

In contrast the MIG welding is very fast. I feel I have much more control over the heat input. If it is getting too hot I can stop, cant do that with soldering.

It started hitting the fan in the 1950's https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nRnNDkHb0MU

A technologically advanced society would teach their children how to start a fire by rubbing two sticks together before teaching them how to use a lighter.

If you are not having fun then you are doing it wrong.