Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 10-27-2020, 05:47 AM
Below Wholesale

Default Why woud someone not use onboard gas valve on a TIG machine?

My new to me 250DX came with two torches, both with manual flow valves on the torch. The original gas port on the machine still has the factory shipping plug so I don't think it was a matter of the valve not working and they didn't want to fix it.
This makes no sense to me, why would someone want to go manual while there is a perfectly good postflow setup on the machine?

Along with that logic why would someone have two identical torch setups complete with regulators on one machine? Its not like it takes any amount of time to swap cups, tungsten etc.
Old 10-27-2020, 11:23 AM
Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry View Post
My new to me 250DX came with two torches, both with manual flow valves on the torch. The original gas port on the machine still has the factory shipping plug so I don't think it was a matter of the valve not working and they didn't want to fix it.
This makes no sense to me, why would someone want to go manual while there is a perfectly good postflow setup on the machine?

Along with that logic why would someone have two identical torch setups complete with regulators on one machine? Its not like it takes any amount of time to swap cups, tungsten etc.
Who knows...

Albert Einstein — 'Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.'

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 10-27-2020, 02:21 PM
Administrator

Was both torches hooked up and ready to operate?

If they worked in a production environment, and always had to switch from alum to stainless on same job several times, it would be handy to only have to switch machine settings, and grab the right torch and go. Especially if they like pure tungsten which runs better balled up on aluminum.

You just need to make sure the torch not being used is touching any metal. Been there, done that. Had left the tig torch and stick rod holder powered up at old job. And one of the ends shorted out one time because it was left on a bench instead of hung up in proper storage place.

5 minutes to switch leads can be a big time eater in some shops.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 10-27-2020, 02:55 PM
The Real Deal

Back when I could see when working for the fitters welding stainless pipe all we had was a tank of gas and a tig torch hooked up to a upright torpedo welder. Maybe they didn't need or want the post flow option.
Old 10-28-2020, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digr View Post
Back when I could see when working for the fitters welding stainless pipe all we had was a tank of gas and a tig torch hooked up to a upright torpedo welder. Maybe they didn't need or want the post flow option.
Still the way it is for the most part. I notice a lot of stainless welders don't touch the tungsten long enough to do the preflow and they think the equipment is the problem rather than their technique. It is a lot easier to just give them something they can understand rather than police their bad habits and build discipline. Also, I have seen the solenoids fail on automatic. A valve torch can also fail but it is easy for anyone to fix in a hurry.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
Old 10-28-2020, 10:23 AM
The Real Deal

Maybe in a production environment one torch for a core bead and one for a fill. Just change the heat setting and go and with the gas valves on both torches the gas would only come from one torch.
Old 10-28-2020, 01:24 PM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

Ask this guy....and he's from your state ….
https://buffalo.craigslist.org/tls/d...214960185.html