Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 09-05-2019, 08:20 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by platypus20 View Post
Iā€™m in the process of changing from 1/4ā€ Milton type A to 3/8ā€ Amflo/TruFlate type G, quick connect air fittings. I looked at the Milton V series, high flow but they are notorious for leaking, so I went with the G style.
All my quick connects are Truflate style, just have a few adapters to go to other style connectors when needed, also do not buy from HF, or big box stores.
Old 09-06-2019, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonL View Post
Nail guns, 1/2 inch impacts, basically anything with a 1/4 or 3/8 NPT inlet. Being up on staging or a roof and whipping around a half inch hose and coupling all day long would become tiresome.

Ok, understand

Pep
Old 09-08-2019, 11:42 AM

As an aside to this I started inventory on all my air tools. I may need more plugs. Impact wrenches, drills, needle scalers, air hammers, grinders, die grinders, nailers, staplers, blow guns, etc, etc. I even have jigs with air pistons. And, of course, the foot pedal.
Surprising sometimes what you collect over the years.

Big Blue 500 CC/CV
CST 280
Hypertherm 1650
Suitcase 12RC
24A Feeder
Thermal Arc 160S
Old 09-24-2019, 11:31 AM

I ordered 2 boxes of ten 1/4 MNPT plugs and one box of 1/4 FNPT plugs. I also ordered boxes of the V style couplers. I quickly went through the first box of ten 1/4 MNPT plugs replacing the plugs on my tools. I'm well into the the second box. I went through half a box of the 1/4 FMPT plugs on hose ends. All the 1/4 couplers on the air tanks and compressors were replaced with Milton V style couplers. All the 3/8 bore size couplers and plugs remain the same.

Big Blue 500 CC/CV
CST 280
Hypertherm 1650
Suitcase 12RC
24A Feeder
Thermal Arc 160S
Old 09-24-2019, 11:48 AM

I have several framing nailers and heavy staple guns that have 3/8 NPT inlets. The manufacturers recommend using 3/8 hose on them. I originally installed 3/8 bore size industrial plugs on them.
The 1/4 bore size European high flow fittings are reported to flow 74 SCFM while the 3/8 bore size industrial fittings are reported to flow 67 SCFM.
If I were starting out again right now I would standardize all my 1/4 and 3/8 tools with 1/4 bore high flow fittings, and more importantly, use 3/8 hose.
The key point now is how well will these fittings stand up to use.

Big Blue 500 CC/CV
CST 280
Hypertherm 1650
Suitcase 12RC
24A Feeder
Thermal Arc 160S
Old 09-24-2019, 12:11 PM

The Milton V style couplers will accept the 1/4 bore industrial style plugs. They insert a short distance and latch. As others have reported, they can be pushed in further and will flow more air. They will not, however, latch further in. I suspect this is done so that they are easier to insert. The larger the flow rate, the harder it is to insert. When under pressure the 1/2 inch bore fittings can be a PIA to insert. The 1/4 industrial plug does not seem as secure and seems to have more play when inserted into the V coupler. This is probably the source of complaints about leaking. The V plugs insert further in and seem much more secure.
As I said earlier, time will tell how these couplers stand up.

Big Blue 500 CC/CV
CST 280
Hypertherm 1650
Suitcase 12RC
24A Feeder
Thermal Arc 160S

Last edited by RonL; 09-24-2019 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-26-2019, 08:34 AM

I'm updating some of my other air related equipment. I went to the local hardware store for some fittings. I picked up some 1/2 inch close nipples in black pipe. They were in plastic wrappers with the bar code on them. I installed one of them and was unwrapping another and noticed it was made in china. I also noticed it seemed very light. I compared it with an older 3/8 nipple I had and it weighed less. I looked closely at the fitting. It had a prominent weld seam and looked like it was made from schedule 10 pipe at best. I removed the fitting that I had installed and threw it in the trash. I ordered real fittings. It seems everything is junk today.

Big Blue 500 CC/CV
CST 280
Hypertherm 1650
Suitcase 12RC
24A Feeder
Thermal Arc 160S
Old 10-07-2019, 06:08 PM

Something to consider if you are looking for maximum air flow: 3/8 combo filter and regulator flows 50-60 cfm. 1/2 inch combo filter/regulator flows 90-100 cfm.
I never gave much thought to air flow and pressure in my air tools. I watched a video where someone had a gauge right at the impact wrench. When the air was flowing the pressure dropped dramatically with smaller diameter hose and smaller fittings. With high flow fittings and larger hose, the pressure dropped minimally. That was an eye opener for me.

Big Blue 500 CC/CV
CST 280
Hypertherm 1650
Suitcase 12RC
24A Feeder
Thermal Arc 160S
Old 10-10-2019, 09:41 PM

Exactly that is why the larger holed quick disconnects are sought after.

G-Style 1/2in. Plug ā€” 1/2in. MNPT,
Old 10-12-2019, 05:57 PM

That works well with the die grinder when you're porting an intake. And for my Dentist. He can fill a tooth in no time!
I use 1/2 inch and 3/4 inch fittings and hose on earth tampers and concrete vibrators. I use 1/2 inch line to run higher pressure out to a remote air tank ( air pig).
The 3/8 inch hose and high flow fittings seem to be working out very well.

Big Blue 500 CC/CV
CST 280
Hypertherm 1650
Suitcase 12RC
24A Feeder
Thermal Arc 160S