Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 10-07-2019, 10:35 AM
Shade Tree Welder's Avatar
Shade Tree Welder Shade Tree Welder is offline
Grumpy Bastard
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Kankakee County, IL
Posts: 19,612
Default

Gotta agree with Wolfie on this one, the crack is still going to grow, you can see
the end is headed to the chamber. That crack is very wide for a head crack
silicate is not gonna fix it. Buy a reman and get it running. Send this one back
as a core and walk away from it.
__________________
Shade

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-09-2019, 05:43 PM
Shade guy Shade guy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: arizona
Posts: 204
Default

Well I called the machine shop I have dealt with in the past he said bring it over.
Took it to him and he said he can fix it. He is going to drill the crack that is heading to the combustion chamber tig weld it and mill it down.
He did not give a price so I will post the damages and warranty.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-09-2019, 08:30 PM
arizonian's Avatar
arizonian arizonian is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 1,283
Default

Tucson Cylinder Head used to have a guy that would torch weld cast iron heads with some type of CI rod. Don't know if they still do that, or what that would cost. Times have changed, probably cheapest to get a remanned head.
__________________
Bill in sunny Tucson

I believe in gun control.

Gun Control: The ability to consistently hit what you are aiming at.

Weldor by choice, engineer by necessity.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-09-2019, 09:56 PM
MetalWolf's Avatar
MetalWolf MetalWolf is offline
Lubrication Consultant
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: La Vernia,Tx.
Posts: 3,496
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade guy View Post
Well I called the machine shop I have dealt with in the past he said bring it over.
Took it to him and he said he can fix it. He is going to drill the crack that is heading to the combustion chamber tig weld it and mill it down.
He did not give a price so I will post the damages and warranty.
Not trying to be mean here but bro! you're spinning your wheels with the repair on that Head, and just setting your self up for disaster in the near future if you use it.

I know lots of machine shops that will say hell yeah I can fix that knowing it is a disaster waiting to happen because they have no intentions in warranting that repair... you're throwing good money after bad. I've been there way too many times with customers bringin me this sort of problem with a welded repaired head... plus the cost is not going to be a saving of enough to make it worth your future headaches...
__________________
MetalWolf, AKA---- Metallic Shapeshifter-----

I Have Only One Wish, To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-09-2019, 10:02 PM
astronut's Avatar
astronut astronut is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Down South
Posts: 477
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalWolf View Post
Not trying to be mean here but bro! you're spinning your wheels with the repair on that Head, and just setting your self up for disaster in the near future if you use it.

I know lots of machine shops that will say hell yeah I can fix that knowing it is a disaster waiting to happen because they have no intentions in warranting that repair... you're throwing good money after bad. I've been there way too many times with customers bringin me this sort of problem with a welded repaired head... plus the cost is not going to be a saving of enough to make it worth your future headaches...
I tend to agree with this after having been there and done that on the recieving end of the so called repaired part!
__________________
I love the smell of napalm in the morning. It smells like, victory!

Victor Torch Set With Meco Regs
Lincoln Weld Pak 100
Giant Tech Arc 200
Miller Roughneck2E
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-10-2019, 12:02 AM
Camaro Zach's Avatar
Camaro Zach Camaro Zach is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alvin Texas
Posts: 714
Default

A used head at the junkyard here is $45. No way I would mess with a repair on that bad and that common of a head. $.02
__________________
Buggy
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-11-2019, 07:01 PM
Shade guy Shade guy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: arizona
Posts: 204
Default

80.00 for the weld and milling
This machine shop has been around for 45 years and the owner is a friend of my dad
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3032.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	199.8 KB
ID:	152506   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3030.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	197.0 KB
ID:	152507  
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-11-2019, 07:41 PM
astronut's Avatar
astronut astronut is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Down South
Posts: 477
Default

I still think you are inviting more issues with that motor no matter how good you think the machine shop is!
__________________
I love the smell of napalm in the morning. It smells like, victory!

Victor Torch Set With Meco Regs
Lincoln Weld Pak 100
Giant Tech Arc 200
Miller Roughneck2E
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-11-2019, 08:41 PM
MetalWolf's Avatar
MetalWolf MetalWolf is offline
Lubrication Consultant
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: La Vernia,Tx.
Posts: 3,496
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronut View Post
I still think you are inviting more issues with that motor no matter how good you think the machine shop is!
+1
Live an learn, Live an learn...
__________________
MetalWolf, AKA---- Metallic Shapeshifter-----

I Have Only One Wish, To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Web Search:

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.