Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-28-2005, 07:02 AM
dirtdigger's Avatar
dirtdigger dirtdigger is offline
Big Shovel
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hillsdale, Michigan
Posts: 1,289
Default storage loft project

Well, I'm finally getting started on the loft. Hopefully this will free up enought space to clean out some junk and get the other half of the shop cemented.

heading out there right now to get started, but thought I'd throw up some pics real quick first.

the big beem will sit on the 3 posts.

more later.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	storageloft(sm).jpg
Views:	872
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	4723  
__________________
I used to get in trouble for playing in the mud...........now I get paid for it!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-28-2005, 07:04 AM
dirtdigger's Avatar
dirtdigger dirtdigger is offline
Big Shovel
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hillsdale, Michigan
Posts: 1,289
Default beem and "crane"

one half of the main beem (32 ft + 32ft = 64 ft of length) (wow I can add!)

gonna try to set it with the excavator
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	storageloft (1).JPG
Views:	740
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	4724  
__________________
I used to get in trouble for playing in the mud...........now I get paid for it!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-28-2005, 07:05 AM
dirtdigger's Avatar
dirtdigger dirtdigger is offline
Big Shovel
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hillsdale, Michigan
Posts: 1,289
Default welded post

the posts are welded to a plate I cemented in the floor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	storageloft (2).JPG
Views:	679
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	4725  
__________________
I used to get in trouble for playing in the mud...........now I get paid for it!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-28-2005, 07:25 AM
Tom Zachman's Avatar
Tom Zachman Tom Zachman is offline
Dodge City Marshal
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Dodge City Kansas
Posts: 7,921
Default

Looks like fun Digger. Not much head room under the ceiling to work the boom.

FWIW, a stop arm welded to the back sides of the posts could help with the spotting process.
__________________
New sig line:

Quote:
Knock, knock. Anyone home? Anyone there? Barack Obama exists only as the sock puppet of his handlers, of the people who have maneuvered and manufactured this pathetic individual’s life.
http://factsnotfantasy.blogspot.com/...ieve-life.html
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-28-2005, 07:57 AM
Pile Buck's Avatar
Pile Buck Pile Buck is offline
North West Redneck
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: West of Seattle
Posts: 2,441
Default

WOW dirtdigger, that is a nice shop, wanna trade? Are you sure the excavator can pick that big ol beam? LOL I worked on the Metro Tunnel in down town Seattle. In the Pioneer Square Station, we set a million tons of false work iron just using excavators. In this picture you can see this weldor setting on top of a 14-inch X 311 lb H-beam. One night I went to set one of these beams in place. Walked the excavator into position, asked the operator if he was in range, ”yep good to go” Picked the beam, swung around, and reached out to set it. The excavator started to tip over. The operator dropped the beam, then decided to catch it. The beam went out of control, came around and hit me right in the chest, knock me backwards over a pile of beams, then the operator dropped the beam again. The beam slide all the way down my side, but did not get my leg. On the other end of the beam was an older guy holding onto the beam to help steady it. When the beam went $hit house it threw him into a pile and broke his neck. Not one of my better days
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tunnel.jpg
Views:	717
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	4728  
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-28-2005, 08:08 AM
Wyoming
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Pile Buck,
Did you call for another operator out of the hall?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-28-2005, 09:08 AM
Pile Buck's Avatar
Pile Buck Pile Buck is offline
North West Redneck
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: West of Seattle
Posts: 2,441
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyoming
Pile Buck,
Did you call for another operator out of the hall?
NO! You know Wyoming, I was just a foremen on this project, but I did have the authority to tramp anyone at anytime. This operator had just started with us, so I let that one go, so did the company! He turned out to be a really good operator. Then his minuses started out weighing his plusses. The last straw, he swung the cab of the excavator into a pile, and broke the window in the door. Well the superintendent made the decision to let him go. I kicked and screamed, even went as far as telling the sup to get my check too. Even back then I was a big believer in backing my people, well the sup talked me out of quiting over it. To this day it bothers me that I did not try harder to protect this operator. I always tried to be loyal to the people who were loyal to me
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-28-2005, 11:15 AM
dirtdigger's Avatar
dirtdigger dirtdigger is offline
Big Shovel
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hillsdale, Michigan
Posts: 1,289
Default good idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Zachman
Looks like fun Digger. Not much head room under the ceiling to work the boom.

FWIW, a stop arm welded to the back sides of the posts could help with the spotting process.

Thanks Tom. I never thought of that. the will make it easier, and safer too I bet.

I will have 7 feet of clearance from the top of the beem to the ceiling. I hope that will work. we will have to hook it pretty short, but I lifted the boom up there with out the beem and it looks like it will work. If not I have a buddy with a huge Taylor forklift I can get. that was my first idea, because it has wide heavy forks, but I'd have to move it and everything. the hoe was sitting here, so I'll try that first.
__________________
I used to get in trouble for playing in the mud...........now I get paid for it!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-28-2005, 11:20 AM
dirtdigger's Avatar
dirtdigger dirtdigger is offline
Big Shovel
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hillsdale, Michigan
Posts: 1,289
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pile Buck
WOW dirtdigger, that is a nice shop, wanna trade? Are you sure the excavator can pick that big ol beam? LOL I worked on the Metro Tunnel in down town Seattle. In the Pioneer Square Station, we set a million tons of false work iron just using excavators. In this picture you can see this weldor setting on top of a 14-inch X 311 lb H-beam. One night I went to set one of these beams in place. Walked the excavator into position, asked the operator if he was in range, ”yep good to go” Picked the beam, swung around, and reached out to set it. The excavator started to tip over. The operator dropped the beam, then decided to catch it. The beam went out of control, came around and hit me right in the chest, knock me backwards over a pile of beams, then the operator dropped the beam again. The beam slide all the way down my side, but did not get my leg. On the other end of the beam was an older guy holding onto the beam to help steady it. When the beam went $hit house it threw him into a pile and broke his neck. Not one of my better days

Damn Carl, how many times have you been clobbered by cranes and flying I-beems!!?? I still can't get over the last war story where you were knocked into the water. Your one tough old cookie. and got scars to prove it I'll bet! haha
__________________
I used to get in trouble for playing in the mud...........now I get paid for it!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-28-2005, 12:07 PM
Pile Buck's Avatar
Pile Buck Pile Buck is offline
North West Redneck
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: West of Seattle
Posts: 2,441
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdigger
Damn Carl, how many times have you been clobbered by cranes and flying I-beems!!?? I still can't get over the last war story where you were knocked into the water. Your one tough old cookie. and got scars to prove it I'll bet! haha
Dangerous business there buddy. Way to many things to go wrong at any given time. Oh and by the way, I’m not that old, just been rode hard, and put away wet
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Web Search:

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.