Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 06-28-2005, 07:02 AM
Big Shovel

Default storage loft project

Well, I'm finally getting started on the loft. Hopefully this will free up enought space to clean out some junk and get the other half of the shop cemented.

heading out there right now to get started, but thought I'd throw up some pics real quick first.

the big beem will sit on the 3 posts.

more later.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	storageloft(sm).jpg
Views:	872
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	4723  
Old 06-28-2005, 07:04 AM
Big Shovel

Default beem and "crane"

one half of the main beem (32 ft + 32ft = 64 ft of length) (wow I can add!)

gonna try to set it with the excavator
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	storageloft (1).JPG
Views:	740
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	4724  
Old 06-28-2005, 07:05 AM
Big Shovel

Default welded post

the posts are welded to a plate I cemented in the floor.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	storageloft (2).JPG
Views:	679
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	4725  
Old 06-28-2005, 07:25 AM
Dodge City Marshal

Looks like fun Digger. Not much head room under the ceiling to work the boom.

FWIW, a stop arm welded to the back sides of the posts could help with the spotting process.

Quote:
Knock, knock. Anyone home? Anyone there? Barack Obama exists only as the sock puppet of his handlers, of the people who have maneuvered and manufactured this pathetic individual’s life.
http://factsnotfantasy.blogspot.com/...ieve-life.html
Old 06-28-2005, 07:57 AM
North West Redneck

WOW dirtdigger, that is a nice shop, wanna trade? Are you sure the excavator can pick that big ol beam? LOL I worked on the Metro Tunnel in down town Seattle. In the Pioneer Square Station, we set a million tons of false work iron just using excavators. In this picture you can see this weldor setting on top of a 14-inch X 311 lb H-beam. One night I went to set one of these beams in place. Walked the excavator into position, asked the operator if he was in range, ”yep good to go” Picked the beam, swung around, and reached out to set it. The excavator started to tip over. The operator dropped the beam, then decided to catch it. The beam went out of control, came around and hit me right in the chest, knock me backwards over a pile of beams, then the operator dropped the beam again. The beam slide all the way down my side, but did not get my leg. On the other end of the beam was an older guy holding onto the beam to help steady it. When the beam went $hit house it threw him into a pile and broke his neck. Not one of my better days
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tunnel.jpg
Views:	717
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	4728  
Old 06-28-2005, 08:08 AM
Wyoming

Pile Buck,
Did you call for another operator out of the hall?
Old 06-28-2005, 09:08 AM
North West Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyoming
Pile Buck,
Did you call for another operator out of the hall?
NO! You know Wyoming, I was just a foremen on this project, but I did have the authority to tramp anyone at anytime. This operator had just started with us, so I let that one go, so did the company! He turned out to be a really good operator. Then his minuses started out weighing his plusses. The last straw, he swung the cab of the excavator into a pile, and broke the window in the door. Well the superintendent made the decision to let him go. I kicked and screamed, even went as far as telling the sup to get my check too. Even back then I was a big believer in backing my people, well the sup talked me out of quiting over it. To this day it bothers me that I did not try harder to protect this operator. I always tried to be loyal to the people who were loyal to me
Old 06-28-2005, 11:15 AM
Big Shovel

Default good idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Zachman
Looks like fun Digger. Not much head room under the ceiling to work the boom.

FWIW, a stop arm welded to the back sides of the posts could help with the spotting process.

Thanks Tom. I never thought of that. the will make it easier, and safer too I bet.

I will have 7 feet of clearance from the top of the beem to the ceiling. I hope that will work. we will have to hook it pretty short, but I lifted the boom up there with out the beem and it looks like it will work. If not I have a buddy with a huge Taylor forklift I can get. that was my first idea, because it has wide heavy forks, but I'd have to move it and everything. the hoe was sitting here, so I'll try that first.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:20 AM
Big Shovel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pile Buck
WOW dirtdigger, that is a nice shop, wanna trade? Are you sure the excavator can pick that big ol beam? LOL I worked on the Metro Tunnel in down town Seattle. In the Pioneer Square Station, we set a million tons of false work iron just using excavators. In this picture you can see this weldor setting on top of a 14-inch X 311 lb H-beam. One night I went to set one of these beams in place. Walked the excavator into position, asked the operator if he was in range, ”yep good to go” Picked the beam, swung around, and reached out to set it. The excavator started to tip over. The operator dropped the beam, then decided to catch it. The beam went out of control, came around and hit me right in the chest, knock me backwards over a pile of beams, then the operator dropped the beam again. The beam slide all the way down my side, but did not get my leg. On the other end of the beam was an older guy holding onto the beam to help steady it. When the beam went $hit house it threw him into a pile and broke his neck. Not one of my better days

Damn Carl, how many times have you been clobbered by cranes and flying I-beems!!?? I still can't get over the last war story where you were knocked into the water. Your one tough old cookie. and got scars to prove it I'll bet! haha
Old 06-28-2005, 12:07 PM
North West Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdigger
Damn Carl, how many times have you been clobbered by cranes and flying I-beems!!?? I still can't get over the last war story where you were knocked into the water. Your one tough old cookie. and got scars to prove it I'll bet! haha
Dangerous business there buddy. Way to many things to go wrong at any given time. Oh and by the way, I’m not that old, just been rode hard, and put away wet