Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 12-17-2009, 08:45 AM

2-3-1940 to 3-8-2011
Nobody was faster

Default Variable Speed

This is not the right place for this suggestion but I thought it would get the most attention till Cutter found it.

I suggest we create a new Sticky or even a new forum file and all posts for a electric variable speed or 1 phase to three phase or motors from exercise equipment be in that.

Every time someone gets a new bandsaw or mill the whole thing is gone over with the new owner.

If it was all together, maybe the mill thread would be a mill thread and the saw thread would be a saw thread.

The index manager might have an idea for handling this.

The same could be said for oils and greases and their uses. We have an oil expert here but he usually doesn't post and lets others churn it out. Sometimes the good information gets lost in information.

Also, oil is in the category where they have what you really need based on your use and they also have the high dollar stuff that is just wonderful.

RANT OVER, HAVE A GOOD DAY. JERRY
Old 12-17-2009, 09:11 AM
Press One for Trash

Not a rant Jerry but I think a good suggestion dependent upon resources and time availability. I do believe it would be a quick resource without cluttering other threads as you suggest.
Sen. Max Baucus Montana

Do you want it right or right now?
Ya can't polish a turd.
The Techie Geek Podcast
Old 12-17-2009, 11:45 AM

12-29-1943 to 1-17-2020
Curmudgeon emeritus

Now I remember why we don't have a Suggestion Box.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"I am not a body, I am free.
For I am still as God created me."
Old 12-17-2009, 11:48 AM
Gadget Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutter View Post
Maybe now you can understand why we don't have a Suggestion Box.

LOL

Well, I can't imagine whom Jerry is talking about???

If I defend myself I am attacked.

My meaningless thoughts are showing me a meaningless world.

My attack thoughts are attacking my invulnerability.

I'd like to think of something smart, but I don't want to hurt myself.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Another Johnson model J Project
Lathe? Maybe..... 1958 SBL 13"
Yeti Esseti Aka running welder on 3phase.

https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums...860#post766860
Old 12-17-2009, 11:51 AM

12-29-1943 to 1-17-2020
Curmudgeon emeritus

Ooops, you caught me before I edited it, Jenn.

Just Keep Walking

Old 12-17-2009, 12:07 PM
Gadget Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutter View Post
Ooops, you caught me before I edited it, Jenn.
Cutter, well if it ain't going fishing then packer up and go for a picnic!!!!! ( have no idea what this means. It just had to be put in writing.....) Sounds nice!!!

I was little quick this morning HUH????? Late night with the College girls again

My partner always tells me, I'm to sarcastic. That I needn't be that way.

But sometimes I just can't help myself. Kind of like when you are supposed to keep a secret and yet it seems to escape you. You just say" My breath made me tell.

Okay, I will behave. Thank you very much.

If I defend myself I am attacked.

My meaningless thoughts are showing me a meaningless world.

My attack thoughts are attacking my invulnerability.

I'd like to think of something smart, but I don't want to hurt myself.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Another Johnson model J Project
Lathe? Maybe..... 1958 SBL 13"
Yeti Esseti Aka running welder on 3phase.

https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums...860#post766860
Old 12-17-2009, 12:50 PM

2-3-1940 to 3-8-2011
Nobody was faster

I am not picking on one person, it has happened several times and it really should be in another thread.

I would like to be able to go to one place for the combined answers to several things mostly electric or electronic.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD MAN View Post
This is not the right place for this suggestion but I thought it would get the most attention till Cutter found it.

I suggest we create a new Sticky or even a new forum file and all posts for a electric variable speed or 1 phase to three phase or motors from exercise equipment be in that.

Every time someone gets a new bandsaw or mill the whole thing is gone over with the new owner.

If it was all together, maybe the mill thread would be a mill thread and the saw thread would be a saw thread.

The index manager might have an idea for handling this.

The same could be said for oils and greases and their uses. We have an oil expert here but he usually doesn't post and lets others churn it out. Sometimes the good information gets lost in information.

Also, oil is in the category where they have what you really need based on your use and they also have the high dollar stuff that is just wonderful.

RANT OVER, HAVE A GOOD DAY. JERRY
If you check out Tricks and Tips currently under construction, I have been doing just that. and may start a sub section of " Answers to Frequently Asked Questions".
Its going to take alot of time. not only that, three letter words are the worst as the search function does not like anything below four, like MIG, TIG, OIL..........

Temporarily everything is going in Tricks & Tips until I see how big it gets.

"Oils and Chemicals" In Tricks and Tips has been started a while back. it takes time.
http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...8&postcount=11

There is not alot on Electrical anything, if you find something send me a PM and I'll look it over.

Also working on the Project Index............
Old 12-17-2009, 04:18 PM
Lord of the Minions

If you try to keep nitting the pick, you'll end up with so many stickies and seperate rooms it will be unbelievable.

And for one, with the search function, or taking a few minutes to just generally ask by thread/post where something may be, does suffice just fine in most cases.

Hell, just keeping up with the spammer pricks that try to get access to hack keeps a few good people busy 24/7 as it is.

And if any forum found on the www concerning a wide a range as this one does, you will never ever have a lawnmower that stays or centers on that one topic for it's complete life cycle.

Personally, not being able to use a three letter word in a search query seems idiotic and no reasons for it will change my mind about it. It's a limitation that sorely reduces your search query.

It's hard enough to mind meld to pick the most correct room to place some posts topics as it is, which means I'll probably continue to give one fine Admin fits and moments of aggravation, not purposefully, but periodically.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 12-17-2009, 09:14 PM

12-29-1943 to 1-17-2020
Curmudgeon emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW Hiway View Post

Personally, not being able to use a three letter word in a search query seems idiotic and no reasons for it will change my mind about it. It's a limitation that sorely reduces your search query.
That was a default feature of the vBulletin software and the reason given was that including the volume of 2 and 3 letter words used by a bunch of vocabulary-challenged rednecks, especially those who are addicted to apostrophe laden abbreviations would exponentially increase the number of possible words that the search function would have to deal with. You do have to bear in mind that the software has to search every 3 letter word in the data base and reject all but the ones specified. And the little help file associated with the topic advised that the inclusion of 3 letter words could so overload the software as to disrupt normal forum functions.

So while I personally find the 3 character limit to be a major pain in the *** too, I can see their reasoning.

However, I talked it over with markttu & stated my opinion that the geeks at vBulletin must be thinking of much larger forums with maybe 20,000 active members but that as small as we are it shouldn't cause a problem. He agreed.

So we reset the search utility to include 3 letter words; I even added mig, tig and oil to the exclusions list.
Nothing changed.
Evidently the software writers were so convinced of their correctness that they forgot or declined to allow the exceptions and changes to be enabled when they released our version of the software.

We are hoping that upgrading the software to the latest version will correct the situation but that won't be happening until probably February. This is Mark's busiest season & he doesn't really have enough free time to adequately deal with Christmas & he really doesn't have a couple of days to donate to an upgrade right now. I am not going to press the software issue so long as the site is running as smoothly as it is otherwise.

Just Keep Walking