Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 01-27-2005, 11:40 PM
Dodge City Marshal

Why'd ya wait till noon to take the pictures?

Are you going to fill the pond with surface water or will ground water fill it?
Old 01-28-2005, 12:08 AM
Blood, Sweat & Concrete

Send a message via MSN to DDA52

$50/hr is what we charge for things like that. Go for it.

Grand High Poobah...(by appointment.)
Old 01-28-2005, 12:26 AM

Tom,

When this snow melts, I am going to have alot of water and be mudded out. I need to dig while the ground is frozen. I plan on rain run off filling it. The location of the pond is behind my house and I have good clay that will hold the water but I think with good spring showers it will take 6 months to fill it.
Old 01-28-2005, 09:28 AM
Big Shovel

Default nice hoe

Sounds like a good deal to me! Go forth and have fun! That's about the same size machine I have, but mine's a Cat. That is a good size machine and will work fast. just get some seat time in, cause it's easy to swing right into the side of a truck. that might make the trucker guys a little mad. but hey, more work for big rig! haha.

right now we have about 6" of frost. much more than that is a pain. if your digging in the woods it might not be too bad, but the snow hampers the trucks a little too. winter in these parts is no fun. where are you at in IN? we are about 5 or 6 miles from the OH/IN/MI line.
right now I have a dozer with frozen hydrolic oil. have to get her warmed up (in the field) and drain it and replace. not looking forward to that, but it doesnt steer without it. ice tends to plug filters.

well, have fun digging when the time comes. If you can, dig off the topsoil separate for the guy, so it doesn't get all mixed in with the sub-soil. also, watch out for the water table. around here when you dig over 4 or 5 ft you start getting ground water coming in. might want to think about a pump of some sort. digging in water is a lost cause. also, dont get too close to the edge with that hoe, it would cave in and slide down in. (all stuff I've done, haha)
good luck!
Old 01-28-2005, 07:15 PM

don't forget to clean any mud out of the tracks and undercarriage before you park it overnight...frozen mud will lock up a set of tracks like they were welded that way...maybe park it on some old tires or boards so it won't freeze to the ground.