Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 01-26-2005, 08:59 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to markct
Default applied for a job, got to play with a nice mig setup

my girlfriends father works at a place called avon manufacturing and had known i been sorta lookin for a job since at some point in the next year or so the plant i work for is closing, i am a machinist right now but of course like most of you have done a bit of everything with metal, anyways the place he works for was looking for a guy to do mig welding and he had seen my welding and said that i should go up and apply, so i figured i might as well, its a bit farther than i would wanna drive anyhow but if the money was right i might have. so i went in and filled out an application and the guy said come on out and do a little welding test. so he took me out into the shop where they got some realy nice stuff! huge welding table like 10x20ft made outa sections of six inch i beam space like 2 inches apart so ya can clamp stuff down to them, i realy liked that idea. they make big molds for stuff like concrete culverts and bridge parts and that sortsa stuff. they had some huge stuff welded up in there it was realy impressive. the migs they had setup that he had me weld together a few pieces of angle iron with were nice too, had the wire feeder mounted out on a big arm that swung around all over the table, and they had some serious power, it was 1/4 or 5/16 material and it burned in with all the heat ya could ever want. i had never played with mig on anything more than 1/8 so i was very surprised. the welds didnt come out too bad, they woulda been better if i had more experience with mig, alot of time on stick and tig i have had but mig was just a little in high school and then sticking in body patch panels with my 110v mig at home. he talked with me for a while and said that they had already hired two guys that morning but he would keep my application on hand for the future which was fine with me. i was mostly happy to see the stuff they had and get to play with there real nice big mig welder!
Old 01-26-2005, 10:41 AM
Elite Member

oh crap another guy from ct.............

good luck with the job.........there isnt anything going on down here in fairfeild county......

dawg
Old 01-26-2005, 12:13 PM

yea there seems to be some stuff available around here, i havent realy pursued anything to much degree yet since the place i work for isnt closing right away, and i realy kinda wanna stick around for when the big cleanup comes, i love dumpster diving so it will be a great time for me!
Old 01-26-2005, 12:21 PM
Elite Member

sounds good to me......... i always have ears out for jobs in ct........p.m. me when your ready.........got a friend up in new briton and manchester....know some guys in the ct chapter of the a.w.s .

dawg
Old 01-26-2005, 01:30 PM

Mark,
What part of CT are you from. I had to do that a while back. I never took the job though cause the commute was from Flfd to Stamford. I even did a trial work run for one day. I welded a asembled/gate for some Art museum or something. Too much of a drive for me for what they were paying. Good luck.
T.J.
www.tjsperformance.com
Old 01-26-2005, 02:53 PM

im from northfield, its up near thomaston and litchfield right off rt 8. the job in avon was the same sorta deal as you say, i wasnt gona take it unless the pay was something i couldnt refuse, its a bit of a comute for me, and besides im a machinist realy, thats what i do now and thats what i went to trade school for, but i figured i would go see what they said and check out the shop, like i said my girlfriends father works for them and he has seen my welding and was saying i would have no problem at all doing what they want, which probably woulda been alot better if it was stick they had me do cause im familuar with that. like i said even if they offered me the job i wasnt gona take it unless the pay was too good to pass up.
Old 01-26-2005, 05:24 PM

12-29-1943 to 1-17-2020
Curmudgeon emeritus

Mark (& everyone else),

This is an excellent illustration of why we sooner or later get around to begging you new guys to please post your locations in your profile, then it will appear in the upper right hand corner of all of your posts. It really helps very much to understand what you are saying & why you are saying it in so many instances.

No one will come try to sell you life insurance or cemetary plots or long distance service or baptize you or anything like that just because we know roughly where you live. All you have to do is look at the the left end of the blue tool bar at the top of the page, click on "User CP", click on "edit profile" and type in the town & state or city/province. No big deal but it does help everyone get to know you and besides, its fun to see how far flung our membership has become in a very short time.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"I am not a body, I am free.
For I am still as God created me."

Last edited by cutter; 01-26-2005 at 11:44 PM.
Old 01-26-2005, 08:34 PM

thanks for mentioning that, i dont know why it doesnt say my location, when i registered i had entered it in there and it used to show up, i will have to try again
Old 01-28-2005, 05:52 PM
'Ol Pilot

Hey 'Dawg - Please do an old guy a favor and quit misspelling the name of the county in CT in which I was born. It's Fairfield - remember the rhyme from grade school, "i before e except after c or when sounded like eh as in neighbor and weigh". Let's not let Franz think he's right about the current sad state of education.
Old 01-28-2005, 06:40 PM
Dodge City Marshal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Ol Pilot
Hey 'Dawg - Please do an old guy a favor and quit misspelling the name of the county in CT in which I was born. It's Fairfield - remember the rhyme from grade school, "i before e except after c or when sounded like eh as in neighbor and weigh". Let's not let Franz think he's right about the current sad state of education.
and the exception is Budweiser.