Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 10-08-2007, 11:45 AM

Default rolled insulation and panels advice needed !!!

I need some expert advice on installing 6' by 110' rolls of fiberglass insulaation with white plastic backing and nylon supported. I have built a 60' by 90' barn for a local vet. The center hgt is 14' and at the eave 11'. The rolls will go on the 90' run. I'll have approx 20 feet of roll left over from each roll. We will use a new roll for each run and not worry about the left over. My question is does anyone have an idea on how to get the insulation up over all the cross members of the roof ? The cross members are 6" c purlin on 4' centers. also, once the insulation is in place, then I'll have to place 2 pieces of overlaping r-rib paneling on top of it on both sides of the roof plus a peak sheet on top !!! Again, the barn is 60 feet wide and 90 feet from eave to top center to eave. Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:54 AM
GOD of Strawberries!!!

I uses fence wire strung thru some holes in the purlins for additional support of the insulation to keep it from sagging. I bought a roll and it was enough for a couple buildings. Pulled it tight and anchored it on both ends, this runs perpendicular to the purlins. I could roll it out right in place, fold and staple. There is splice and patch tape for this insulation and it works very well, you can put pieces together no problem.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:04 PM
GOD of Strawberries!!!

We used a sheet to support one side. It doesn't show here but in the 3rd pic the insulation stops at the lean to but about where Zeke's right hand is there is a smooth fence wire runs all the way across the build under the insulation, roll it right out.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:05 PM

Thanks, Sberry, this insulation I am told already has the mesh reinforcement in the plastic covering. Once before, on the fairgrounds building we used 6 foot wide chicken wire. Almost got into a knock down drag out fight with my partner putting it up !!! I'm hoping with the reinforcement already in the roll it will be easier !, thanks, Ken
Old 10-08-2007, 12:12 PM
GOD of Strawberries!!!

We actually went back and installed the roof mastic after the fact, had screw holding the far edge, lifted the sheet and rolled the mastic in with a dispenser tool we made, so much better than by hand. We let the sheet flop back down and could come by and strip the backing paper, it had pinch roller to press the mastic down and was wayyyyyy more accurate and wayyyyyy faster than doing it by hand, about 30 seconds to install a 40 ft run. 40 ft sheets on this project.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:22 PM
GOD of Strawberries!!!

The wire just keeps the sag out and holds it up a little forever, well worth the effort. I spaced them 3 ft apart, a foot past the seam, the insulation then can droop only so far, in the long run this was a good idea. We made cradle for the sheets, drag them off on to the roof. We had pretty good system by the time we finish. Wind can be a problem.
I have done this job several times in my career, it went so much better when I was the boss,, hahaha really because I was willing to wait till we were ready and work out some details vs just ramming ahead.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:24 PM
GOD of Strawberries!!!

just more bs.