Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-31-2022, 02:10 PM
NOBLNG NOBLNG is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Wpg,Mb,Canada
Posts: 237
Default Weak Fifth Wheel slide motor

The slide motor on my 2010 Keystone Cougar has a hard time getting the slide all the way out. The dealer wants a ridiculous $1200.00 for the part and 2hrs labour to install it. I can get a motor and gearbox for around $600.00 I think, and I watched a video where it looked like 1/2 hr job. Or, I could remove the motor and have it rebuilt locally. I am leary of buying a motor online that may be of dubious quality. I have found no motor only replacement without the gearbox. This should be a very common motor, so the price floored me! Any tips or thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D9E246DF-6843-4A83-9A2B-EB5B63E7D279.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	207.1 KB
ID:	165587   Click image for larger version

Name:	8372478B-C593-4C47-8C28-78B8C0F5FD57.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	202.6 KB
ID:	165588   Click image for larger version

Name:	A3783AE2-7331-431B-B8EE-CDC52931E51C.jpeg
Views:	57
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	165589   Click image for larger version

Name:	78812188-4480-4F19-92D7-46956CA730E5.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	187.3 KB
ID:	165590  
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-31-2022, 03:44 PM
greywynd's Avatar
greywynd greywynd is offline
I can dig it
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Wainwright, Alberta
Posts: 6,334
Default

Make sure everything else is well lubed and moving freely, and not adding to the load.

You could try these guys too,
https://youngfartsrvparts.ca


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-31-2022, 07:27 PM
NOBLNG NOBLNG is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Wpg,Mb,Canada
Posts: 237
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywynd View Post
Make sure everything else is well lubed and moving freely, and not adding to the load.

You could try these guys too,
https://youngfartsrvparts.ca


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, Everything else seems to be in order and I don’t see the motor I need listed in your link.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-31-2022, 07:33 PM
NOBLNG NOBLNG is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Wpg,Mb,Canada
Posts: 237
Default

I have found one on amazon that claims to be made in USA (better than a china pos) for a reasonable price, but it is 5800 rpm instead of 9500 rpm. That is not a deal breaker, especially if the lower rpm motor would put out more torque. All else being equal…do rpm and torque vary inversely in an electric motor? They both have the same 18:1 ratio in the gearbox, so the slide would just move slower.

https://www.amazon.ca/RV-Slide-Out-M...07MR8JLZ8?th=1
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-01-2022, 07:41 AM
Ironman's Avatar
Ironman Ironman is offline
Iron Modification Investigator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Warburg, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 16,693
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOBLNG View Post
I have found one on amazon that claims to be made in USA (better than a china pos) for a reasonable price, but it is 5800 rpm instead of 9500 rpm. That is not a deal breaker, especially if the lower rpm motor would put out more torque. All else being equal…do rpm and torque vary inversely in an electric motor? They both have the same 18:1 ratio in the gearbox, so the slide would just move slower.

https://www.amazon.ca/RV-Slide-Out-M...07MR8JLZ8?th=1
Generally lower rpm has more torgue. If they list current draw that would be my guide. Power consumed equals HP
__________________
Gerry
You got freedom of speech, if you don't say too much.
Aaron Neville.

When a liberal screams racism, you can bet they were also born with white skin.

The countries whom the gods would destroy they first make green. Rex Murphy
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-01-2022, 08:07 AM
NOBLNG NOBLNG is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Wpg,Mb,Canada
Posts: 237
Default

They both say 30amp. Somewhere along the way I read that they only have a 20% duty cycle which seems pretty low.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-01-2022, 11:05 AM
toprecycler's Avatar
toprecycler toprecycler is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Petoskey, Michigan
Posts: 6,271
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOBLNG View Post
They both say 30amp. Somewhere along the way I read that they only have a 20% duty cycle which seems pretty low.

I noticed the low duty cycle too. 1 minute on, 4 minutes off. But it’s not like you are moving in in and out constantly. But is one minute enough to extend it without having to stop and let it cool down in one shot?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Brian

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-01-2022, 02:10 PM
Ironman's Avatar
Ironman Ironman is offline
Iron Modification Investigator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Warburg, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 16,693
Default

I recently sold my camper trailer. It had a hydraulic pump and ram. The little skateboard wheels that ran in a track had seized and worn flat. It still went in and out, can't beat hydraulics.
__________________
Gerry
You got freedom of speech, if you don't say too much.
Aaron Neville.

When a liberal screams racism, you can bet they were also born with white skin.

The countries whom the gods would destroy they first make green. Rex Murphy
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-01-2022, 06:42 PM
NOBLNG NOBLNG is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Wpg,Mb,Canada
Posts: 237
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by toprecycler View Post
I noticed the low duty cycle too. 1 minute on, 4 minutes off. But it’s not like you are moving in in and out constantly. But is one minute enough to extend it without having to stop and let it cool down in one shot?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’ve never timed it but I’m thinking around 30 seconds or less to run it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
I recently sold my camper trailer. It had a hydraulic pump and ram. The little skateboard wheels that ran in a track had seized and worn flat. It still went in and out, can't beat hydraulics.
The wheels are OK on mine. I can get the USA made 5800rpm motor and gearbox for $350 from a canadian supplier, so that’s what I’ll do.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Web Search:

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.