Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 05-23-2022, 09:38 PM

Default D-ILTCOA light...

I need to install a D-ILTCOA light and have a oddball idea. What's a D-ILTCOA light you ask? "Damn, I Left The Compressor On Again" light. Despite leaving myself notes on the shop light switch and making frequent (after welding) 'return to the shop to look for smoke' trips, I still continue to leave the damn compressor on. Since I usually don't go out to the workshop from late Sunday to early the next Saturday, the compressor is being left to cycle continuously as it bleeds down all week.

I've investigated all sorts of scenarios for using current sensing relays, timers and auxiliary pressure switches to accomplish what I want, but I think this latest idea might be the ticket.

A quick detour...in the not too distant future, my work shop will be significantly rearranged to accommodate a small milling machine. For lack of a better option, this new mill (Jet JMD-18) will be located, just about in front of the air compressor (Husky 220v, 60 gal). I'll extend the compressor water drain to make it accessible, but the on/off pressure switch will be awkward to reach. Sure I could relocate it, but it still won't help me with adding a D-ILTCOA light.

So, I'm thinking I'll add a 2 pole disconnect switch in a convenient location between the electric service panel and the compressor. I'll leave the compressor on/off pressure switch in the ON position, and use the new disconnect to control the compressor. I don't recall where I got it or why, but I've got a 110v LED loading dock signal light that I'll power with one hot leg of the disconnect switch and I'll run a new neutral wire back to the electric service panel. The new LED light will be mounted on the exterior of the workshop facing the main house. After dark, it will be very noticeable when lit.

The idea is that when I turn on the compressor via the new disconnect switch, the LED D-ILTCOA light will also light up, and it will stay lit whether the compressor is running or at pressure and idle.

Does this sound like an OK idea?

Another reason for using the LED loading dock light. I'm adding a 110v 'on demand' water pump at the workshop to provide Mrs. Imagineer an easier means of using the 4 barrels of stored rainwater on her garden. The LED loading dock light has 2 lights, red and green. I'll use one for the compressor, and the other will be the "D-YLTWPOA" light. (Dear, You Left The Water Pump On Again).
Old 05-23-2022, 10:13 PM
Made From Scratch

How does the control circuit work on your compressor? Does it have a relay?

Could you separate the power to the pressure switch from the hot wire that powers the motor and just run the pressure switch off the shop light circuit?

Might be a way to keep the motor running off the compressor outlet, but run the control wiring off the lights so that when the shop lights are off the compressor can't run.
Old 05-24-2022, 07:45 AM
The Real Deal

That is what I did for mine
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	comp.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	164756  
Old 05-24-2022, 08:28 AM
Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineer View Post
I need to install a D-ILTCOA light and have a oddball idea. What's a D-ILTCOA light you ask? "Damn, I Left The Compressor On Again" light. Despite leaving myself notes on the shop light switch and making frequent (after welding) 'return to the shop to look for smoke' trips, I still continue to leave the damn compressor on. Since I usually don't go out to the workshop from late Sunday to early the next Saturday, the compressor is being left to cycle continuously as it bleeds down all week...
I know this is just crazy talk but, how about you just fix the air leaks?

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 05-24-2022, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade Tree Welder View Post
I know this is just crazy talk but, how about you just fix the air leaks?
The only known leak is the from the retracting hose reel. It takes about a whole day to bleed down 30psi to cause the compressor to cycle.

But, I've got it figured out.

I found an Eaton 3ph, 110v coil contactor among the misc electrical supplies at work. I'll run the existing 220v for the compressor through lugs 1 & 2 on the contactor to the pressure switch.

I'll run a separate 110v though the 3rd lug on the contactor to power the LED light.

I'll run a new 110v circuit to the contactor coil via a panel switch from a retired drill press. The panel switch and contactor will be in the same enclosure.
Old 05-24-2022, 12:38 PM
Do I have a life?

I let both my compressors "bleed" ever so slightly from the drain. I keep a little bowl under them to contain any drips. The leak is so slight you have to get your head down to even hear the slight hiss. Sure, they will bleed down in the course of a week but I never have water in them...

I've had hoses burst on a smaller compressor that was left on with air valve on. A neighbor "did me a favor" and turned off the breaker to my shop. Luckily had no food in the fridge... It was obvious the compressor had been running for a while as it was covered in oil vapor.

I have a "shut-down" routine when leaving the shop and the compressor off is part of that routine. Look and Listen for lights and fans on before closing the door. I don't leave anything on but the fridge.

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
HF 80 lunchbox w/tig
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...
Old 05-24-2022, 01:18 PM
Twice the size--half the man

I've wanted a similar light on ours for a long while. Anymore though it's just habit to check, double-check, triple-check, and then send a kid back to check later.

When I re-did all the lighting circuits in my shop for the LED strips, I wired a series of new outlets as well. When the lights are off, the most used tools are cut off as well. That eased my mind a lot with the heat presses and 'hot' tools that could potentially smoulder. I make it a point to properly shut them down and unplug them, but if I should accidentally forget it makes me feel better.

Wade's Custom Kydex
Old 05-24-2022, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccutter View Post
I let both my compressors "bleed" ever so slightly from the drain.
I tried doing that after obtaining compressor, but the drain kept clogging. I discovered the prior owner of the compressor was a woodworking shop and they obviously didn't use an intake filter. The tank had quite a bit of fine sawdust inside. I had to break it down to just the tank, poured in a quart of WD40 and roll it around the yard a while to dislodge the dust such that it would drain out. It's been 15 years since, and I'm still seeing light colored solids being ejected out the drain hose.

FWIW, I also tried a home brew version of an automatic drain using 24vdc sprinkler valve that would trigger open for 1 second each time the compressor motor stopped. The timer opened the valve as expected, but I guess the pressure or CFM was too much and would not let the valve close until it was down to about 80psi.

I've since built a "double barrel Franzinator" that uses 2 N.O. 24vdc sprinkler valves to drain the Franzinator as the compressor cycles.

Basically, the Franzinator is a finned, aluminum tube radiator that cools the compressed air as it comes out of the pump before it goes into the tank. I don't know just how much the air is cooled, but the 2nd "barrel" is noticeably cooler to the touch than the 1st "barrel", so I know it's doing something.

I'm not sure what the correct term is for the tube that runs between the pump and tank, but the Franzinator is part of that plumbing.

Typically, when the compressor gets to pressure and cycles off, this tube bleeds down though the pressure switch. With the Franzinator as part of this system, there is a lot more volume of air to bleed down as the pump cycles off.

I take advantage of this by using normally open sprinkler valves. When the pump motor starts, the sprinkler valves close. (The 24vdc power supply for the valves is powered off one leg of the motor feed). When the compressor motor cycles off, the valves are de-energized. It takes a few seconds for the pressure in the system to drop to about 80psi, allowing the sprinkler valves to open and discharge any accumulated moisture out a small tube sticking out the shop wall. The discharge tube is clear and there is some moisture being ejected when the valves open.

I've had this in place for at least 8 or 9 years and it still works fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	compressor.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	164757  
Old 05-24-2022, 03:28 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

When the compressor is powered on I have a red light bulb in the shop that is lit. It is powered off the circuit that runs the delay relay for startup and holds the intake valves open for 10 seconds. So when no power is to the light, no power is to the delay relay and no startup.

When a liberal screams racism, you can bet they were also born with white skin.

The countries whom the gods would destroy they first make green. Rex Murphy
Old 05-24-2022, 04:09 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineer View Post
I

Does this sound like an OK idea?
Yes, and keeping it simple like that is good.

When a liberal screams racism, you can bet they were also born with white skin.

The countries whom the gods would destroy they first make green. Rex Murphy