Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 05-05-2022, 01:03 AM

I was amazed to watch these Paki guys rebuilding lead batteries from scratch, running a lead foundry in long skirts and sandals.

The most amazing 3rd world health video ever:
The Dentist of Jaipur.

https://youtu.be/WR8tIjTykbE
Old 05-05-2022, 05:17 AM
The Right Stuff

Send a message via AIM to tigman250 Send a message via MSN to tigman250

I watched one once where a guy welded up a couple of missing teeth on a ring gear for a truck differential, stick welded the teeth not chipping slag between passes then used a 4.5" grinder to "machine" them to size. Would be interesting to know just how long repairs like that last, the teeth broke off when the ring gear was machined, heat treated and ground. The repair would be full of porosity, soft as butter and not on size, I wouldn't think it would not be a long term repair, maybe with the right driver it would last for a while LOL!

If it's worth having, it's worth working for

I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take an ass whoopin!
Old 05-05-2022, 06:46 AM

Yeah, I don't have high hopes for that kind of thing, myself. It's like filler on a car panel.

2 things strike me having seen fastner production machines. Am amazed at want they accomplish.

The second and most concerning is who the hell is buying and selling production pieces like this.

Everyone worries about china's production, methods, and materials. At least to their credit, they have CNC at hand.

BTW get a load of the size of the chain links, hell would love to see those made.

Can you imagine a Harley chain drive using those LMAO

Anyway fastanating to see, the Flinstones at work.
Old 05-05-2022, 08:26 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigman250 View Post
I watched one once where a guy welded up a couple of missing teeth on a ring gear for a truck differential, stick welded the teeth not chipping slag between passes then used a 4.5" grinder to "machine" them to size. Would be interesting to know just how long repairs like that last, the teeth broke off when the ring gear was machined, heat treated and ground. The repair would be full of porosity, soft as butter and not on size, I wouldn't think it would not be a long term repair, maybe with the right driver it would last for a while LOL!
I have done this on a baler when 3 teeth were broke off the ring gear. I put the welded teeth on the backstroke and it baled many bales after that.

When a liberal screams racism, you can bet they were also born with white skin.

The countries whom the gods would destroy they first make green. Rex Murphy
Old 05-05-2022, 07:33 PM

There's one where they fix an 8' loader tire with a big chunk out of the tread.

You wanna get black? There's a blackface job, grinding rubber for 3 hours to prep the inside and outside patch.

If you haven't watched "the Dentist" yet, don't watch it right before a meal.
But do not miss it.

Some real down home handiwork.
Old 05-17-2022, 09:40 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoy View Post
If at first you don't succeed. Get a bigger hammer
Sometimes it’s the other way around. Depending on the mass of the object being struck a smaller hammer sometimes works better.

Years ago a fellow (who happened to be an engineer) approached me needing help removing screws that attached a trim to an auto body. I described a technique using a hammer and chisel to turn the screw head.

He came back some time later with a hammer in hand saying it didn’t work. He gave me a questionable look and began to argue when I told him his hammer is too big. Rather than argue I got a much smaller hammer and managed to loosen all four screws with less than 10 hammer blows, he was amazed.

Here we have what is one of the oldest tools in history and yet is still often misunderstood by so many.

It started hitting the fan in the 1950's https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nRnNDkHb0MU

A technologically advanced society would teach their children how to start a fire by rubbing two sticks together before teaching them how to use a lighter.

If you are not having fun then you are doing it wrong.