Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 04-08-2022, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Shade View Post
Have you ever seen a Ryan Jr. Sodcutter?

Its a walk behind sod cutting machine…..
I can’t believe it (!) but when I was young I worked in an equipment rental yard where we rented those out. We also rented out a very similar machine powered by an electric motor which was a floor scraper, but the sod cutter was always powered by a gasoline engine.
Old 04-08-2022, 12:27 AM

If you have a regular PTO on the back of your differential and you have a short driveshaft with universal joints you could turn a flywheel-shaped cam on the back end of it.

As the fly wheel turns the rim rises up and down. Work out a little cam follower connected to your horizontal arms of the digger.

Without a sketch, this is all very confusing, so I will make you one tonite. Don’t lite the torch yet.
Old 04-08-2022, 01:53 AM

I worked on that idea a little more and I don’t think you would like the complexity of it.

It all revolved around the idea that if the digger was driven by a rotating fly wheel rather than just a drive shaft you would have a lot smoother action. Having the stored energy of a fly wheel behind the digger could be a big advantage.

Anyhow I will think about this more before I draw anything.
Old 04-08-2022, 08:36 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

I don't need flywheels and scotch yokes and levers, what I have will do. If it vibrates too much just go slower. I have 4 speeds on the pto from 250 to 1000rpm, and bull low speed in deep reduction at full throttlle is 2/3 km per hr. This is a truck farming machine. I can live with it for a 20 minute a day use during harvest.
I'm recovering from my first cold since the 2015 hospitalization, and go out to sit in my shop and to ponder my resource pile.
I'm going to have to split a piece of 3/8 plate to get the materials for the arms. I have a bit of T1 in 1/4" for the blade and I'm trying to separate a rusted driveshaft for parts. My energy level took a big shit, but I hope it will come back soon.

When a liberal screams racism, you can bet they were also born with white skin.

The countries whom the gods would destroy they first make green. Rex Murphy
Old 04-08-2022, 09:15 AM
Made From Scratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
I don't need flywheels and scotch yokes and levers, what I have will do. If it vibrates too much just go slower. I have 4 speeds on the pto from 250 to 1000rpm, and bull low speed in deep reduction at full throttlle is 2/3 km per hr. This is a truck farming machine. I can live with it for a 20 minute a day use during harvest.
I'm recovering from my first cold since the 2015 hospitalization, and go out to sit in my shop and to ponder my resource pile.
I'm going to have to split a piece of 3/8 plate to get the materials for the arms. I have a bit of T1 in 1/4" for the blade and I'm trying to separate a rusted driveshaft for parts. My energy level took a big shit, but I hope it will come back soon.
I was confused by your original sketch because I was looking at your shaft with the universal joints as being a PTO shaft that spins and that didn't make sense for giving cutting action, or for the severe angles.

What you are doing is spinning a crank/flywheel on the pto and using the shaft with the U-joints as a connecting rod to wobble the cutter bar up and down? Maybe I'm not the only one that was confused.

Looking at it that way it makes more sense.
Old 04-08-2022, 11:59 AM
Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer-john View Post
What app is required to open TCW?
TurboCAD. That is why I posted the pdf.

If you have TurboCAD, that file give you the ability to modify and change
things, also everything is in inches vs. the static drawing as the pdf.

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 04-08-2022, 12:03 PM
Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
I don't need flywheels and scotch yokes and levers, what I have will do. If it vibrates too much just go slower. I have 4 speeds on the pto from 250 to 1000rpm...
So you want 2-3" stroke in the horizontal plane;
how much stroke in the vertical plane can you tolerate?

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 04-08-2022, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Well I ain’t no garlic farmer so you would be the best judge of all that. Most of the machines I did were for food processing and industrial purposes.

My opinion is that if you want to mount a crank wheel on the PTO and run a conrod off of that without an extra bearing support you’re going to see oil pouring out of the pto pretty quick.

But maybe I’m totally confused as to what you’re trying to do, and the fastest way for me to make you hate me is to give you advice you don’t need.

So so best of luck and a good harvest.
Old 04-08-2022, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaddmannQ View Post
Well I ain’t no garlic farmer so you would be the best judge of all that. Most of the machines I did were for food processing and industrial purposes.

My opinion is that if you want to mount a crank wheel on the PTO and run a conrod off of that without an extra bearing support you’re going to see oil pouring out of the pto pretty quick.

But maybe I’m totally confused as to what you’re trying to do, and the fastest way for me to make you hate me is to give you advice you don’t need.

So so best of luck and a good harvest.
I will start posting about this when I get everything together and the junk I need to make this. I thank you all for your thoughts and ideas, and it has helped me in my planning process here.

Old 04-08-2022, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Shade View Post
I was confused by your original sketch because I was looking at your shaft with the universal joints as being a PTO shaft that spins and that didn't make sense for giving cutting action, or for the severe angles.

What you are doing is spinning a crank/flywheel on the pto and using the shaft with the U-joints as a connecting rod to wobble the cutter bar up and down? Maybe I'm not the only one that was confused.

Looking at it that way it makes more sense.
Matt, sorry for the Crude Cad, it was Ideas scribbled together, and things that made sense to me as shorthand when thing popped into my head. I will be making a 3point hitch design, driven by a PTO driveshaft, and as a Cat 1 three pint hitch does not offer a ton of wiggle room, I may have more to plan, but #1 son is asking for the shop this weekend, so this comes to a stop.