Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 03-29-2022, 09:01 AM
Elite Member

The 3” ship & car channel is the other piece of steel from my supplier. This is for the main frame. I had standard 3” channel but I wanted something more robust. The ship & car channel is thicker in section and has longer legs for mounting surface.

Here I am cutting the surface of the web. Structural steel like this is rarely if ever truly square.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2622DC0F-CF09-4BDF-B8E6-00CD76DE612D.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	195.6 KB
ID:	164119  

It started hitting the fan in the 1950's https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nRnNDkHb0MU

A technologically advanced society would teach their children how to start a fire by rubbing two sticks together before teaching them how to use a lighter.

If you are not having fun then you are doing it wrong.
Old 03-29-2022, 09:04 AM
Elite Member

Here I am cutting the legs of the channel square to the previously cut web.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0968DA29-C9AC-40B0-82C7-ADC82D7D24CA.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	197.7 KB
ID:	164120  

It started hitting the fan in the 1950's https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nRnNDkHb0MU

A technologically advanced society would teach their children how to start a fire by rubbing two sticks together before teaching them how to use a lighter.

Old 03-29-2022, 10:24 AM
Auction Addict

I once had a source like yours. Sadly, the owner died. Now I am back to auctions.

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. Plato

LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!

B biggest
I idot
D democrats
E ever
N nominated
Old 03-29-2022, 11:41 AM
The Right Stuff

Send a message via AIM to tigman250 Send a message via MSN to tigman250

What side of Detroit are you on threepiece? I'm a couple hours North in the thumb.

If it's worth having, it's worth working for

I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take an ass whoopin!
Old 03-29-2022, 12:24 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by threepiece View Post
This is the spindle for the center roller being cut for a key seat. I have cut both spindle ends in this roller with a key seat so as I have the option of placing the crank handle on either end.

While considering how to cut this seat I came up with a relatively simple method that I think works well. It avoids the somewhat complicated steps needed to do it the “right” way.

I simply create a flat on the surface of the round that is equal to the width of the key to be used. This is the tricky part, magnifying lenses are helpful. From this flat surface I then cut the seat to a depth equal to half the width of the key.

I will be looking into buying a broach to cut the key way in the crank handle. I may actually have to consider buying a brand new one as broaches are one of the few tools I have not come across at the scrap yard yet.
The gears and blanks for the windmill project were keyed in the mill using a boring bar with the proper width of tool bit. Run the spindle down then back up, advance the piece .001-.002, lather, rinse, repeat. Use plenty of oil.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2735.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	196.5 KB
ID:	164126   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2732.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	195.0 KB
ID:	164127  

I believe in gun control.

Gun Control: The ability to consistently hit what you are aiming at.

Weldor by choice, engineer by necessity.
Old 04-01-2022, 09:34 AM
Elite Member

Here I have drilled the holes for the shaft slides and mounting holes for the pillow block bearings.

Each bearing has three positions that extend outward from the center. By increasing the distance between the lower rollers I reduce the potential bend radius while increasing the capacity to form thicker and/or wider metal. This is primarily the type of work needed at this time.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	961237DC-D733-4AAF-A7B7-2AAF2F37F828.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	197.0 KB
ID:	164163  

Old 04-01-2022, 09:48 AM
Elite Member

Here I am welding bolt plates on the ends of the center frame. I apologize for the relatively modern Bessey bar clamp made with plastic. It was the one best suited for this job however in my defense it does have a screw knob made of wood.

Notice the mig wire placed in between the tube and plate. This provides a small clearance between the two so squaring adjustments can be made after a tacking.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	062FD015-D65F-4596-B28C-4AD1FB922536.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	194.5 KB
ID:	164164   Click image for larger version

Name:	70DEC46A-A8EC-4471-81CE-91A032F074A9.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	196.1 KB
ID:	164165  

Old 04-01-2022, 09:54 AM
Elite Member

The final width of the center frame pieces must be 42.500”. Here I am locating the machine spindle on the center of a previously drilled hole that was placed close to the center. The X axis is now indicating 0.000
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	23BF4C7F-8953-4C49-9869-A47B78E2E83C.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	199.1 KB
ID:	164166  

Old 04-01-2022, 10:00 AM
Elite Member

From 0.000 X I move the table to 21.250” which is exactly half the distance to the desired length of 42.500”

You can see the center of the cutter is now where the end of the frame needs to be. Now it a matter of moving the table an additional amount equal to the radius of the cutter.

Using the same hole, the same process can be done to the other end resulting in a beam 42.500 long (or close enough for any games I play).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	07C19CEF-F319-40BB-B622-E1723FA5A2DF.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	198.2 KB
ID:	164167  

Old 04-01-2022, 10:17 AM
Elite Member

The assembly coming together. The 2x2 1/4” wall tubing, the grade 5 fasteners and the tools to tighten them all came from the scrap yard.

Also from the same scrap yard came virtually everything in the background including the 1800 lbs. Blanchard ground steel tooling plate the toolbox and the contents of all the overflowing drawers.

Not from the scrap yard is the die shoe assembly on the shelf directly above the box. That is part of threepiece which is a project that took 13 years to complete and how I learned the majority of my skills.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	94C600DF-EADE-4A80-9158-D368D2D6ACF0.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	198.2 KB
ID:	164168