Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 03-10-2022, 07:07 PM
Yobbo

No, it is not not a slur, if I was saying 'bloody Jap' that would be a slur, same as if I was saying bloody Brit. But I'm not saying that am I? 'Jap bike' is a common abbreviation used in everyday speech.

Now if I was to say 'bloody yank', that would be a slur, so you tell me if I was to say 'Yank bike' would you consider that a slur?

How about 'Aussie vegemite', would you consider that a slur? Pom or Pommy you would probably consider derogatory also, however, after complaints to the Australian Advertising Standards Board regarding five advertisements using the term "Poms", the board ruled in 2006 that these words are inoffensive, in part because they are "largely used in playful or affectionate terms".

In Oz, we call each other 'old bastards' or simply 'bastard' as a matter of course. It is not considered derogatory, it is said in a humorous context and taken as such. I'm pretty sure every nationality uses similar terms delivered in a jovial context. It is unfortunate that some people see slurs where no slur is intended.

Then we have Polak, people like yourself consider that a derogatory term for a Polish person, however, in the Polish language Polak,is a Polish term for a male person of Polish ethnicity. If a Polish man calls himself a Polak, how can you consider that a slur?

Politically incorrect terminology is driven by odd people who continually look for slurs where no slur is intended!

Incidentally, why did you say Brit bike, but not 'Jap bike', instead using the word 'Jap' by itself, twisting what has been said to suit your own agenda. Nobody has used the word Jap, except you. The terminology used was 'Jap bike'. Odd the way some people like to twist things to suit their own agenda.

Last edited by Hoggo; 03-10-2022 at 08:29 PM.
Old 03-10-2022, 07:45 PM
The Right Stuff

Send a message via AIM to tigman250 Send a message via MSN to tigman250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Shade View Post
I run 3M ceramic (cubitron) belts in grits below 220 grit. They are specifically designed for high speed, high pressure grinding. They have incredible belt life, but the grit is designed to fracture as you are running it to expose new edges. If you don't hog on them once in awhile they will actually begin to act like a dull/dead belt.
The cubitron line is amazing, speed of cut and work life are unbelievable!

If it's worth having, it's worth working for

I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take an ass whoopin!
Old 03-10-2022, 08:53 PM
Made From Scratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigman250 View Post
The cubitron line is amazing, speed of cut and work life are unbelievable!
Yeah I've been tempted to try some of their competitors like the norton blaze,but for the money I just can't see anything beating a cubitron belt. Been using them for 15 years or so now.

They also don't have any shelf life problems. The higher grit belts I have always used cheap aluminum oxide belts and I try not to buy more than 6 months worth at a time because they start cupping as they age and won't lay flat on the platen (bad for polishing knives). The ceramic belts have never done that.
Old 03-10-2022, 09:14 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoggo View Post
No, it is not not a slur, if I was saying 'bloody Jap' that would be a slur, same as if I was saying bloody Brit. But I'm not saying that am I? 'Jap bike' is a common abbreviation used in everyday speech.

Now if I was to say 'bloody yank', that would be a slur, so you tell me if I was to say 'Yank bike' would you consider that a slur?

How about 'Aussie vegemite', would you consider that a slur? Pom or Pommy you would probably consider derogatory also, however, after complaints to the Australian Advertising Standards Board regarding five advertisements using the term "Poms", the board ruled in 2006 that these words are inoffensive, in part because they are "largely used in playful or affectionate terms".

In Oz, we call each other 'old bastards' or simply 'bastard' as a matter of course. It is not considered derogatory, it is said in a humorous context and taken as such. I'm pretty sure every nationality uses similar terms delivered in a jovial context. It is unfortunate that some people see slurs where no slur is intended.

Then we have Polak, people like yourself consider that a derogatory term for a Polish person, however, in the Polish language Polak,is a Polish term for a male person of Polish ethnicity. If a Polish man calls himself a Polak, how can you consider that a slur?

Politically incorrect terminology is driven by odd people who continually look for slurs where no slur is intended!

Incidentally, why did you say Brit bike, but not 'Jap bike', instead using the word 'Jap' by itself, twisting what has been said to suit your own agenda. Nobody has used the word Jap, except you. The terminology used was 'Jap bike'. Odd the way some people like to twist things to suit their own agenda.
I have noticed you make up your own definitions, as they suit you, so I expect this link will not change anything.

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. Plato

LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!

B biggest
I idot
D democrats
E ever
N nominated
Old 03-11-2022, 02:35 AM
Director of Languages

To be fair to the bogan, jap is less of a slur in other parts of the world than the states. Would be very much an abbreviation over here for example.

Whereas in Ireland referring to someone as a Brit would be generally meant as an insult
Old 03-11-2022, 02:40 AM
Yobbo

From your link:
Around the world
Jap-Fest is an annual Japanese car show in Ireland.[17] In 1970, the Japanese fashion designer Kenzo Takada opened the Jungle Jap boutique in Paris.[18]

Neutral sign advertising "Jap Rice" in Singapore
In Singapore[19] and Hong Kong,[20] the term is used freely as a contraction of the adjective Japanese rather than as a derogatory term. The Australian news service Asia Pulse has also used the term in 2008.[21]

So, I guess it would depend on where you are! You can term anything derogatory if you wish to go on the political correctness bandwagon.

Now being as I own and quite like 'Jap bikes', obviously I'm not using 'Jap bikes' in a derogatory manner, simple common sense.

We had a brand of cheese called 'Coon Cheese'. After many years of campaigning an aboriginal activist finally got his way and the founders and owners of "Coon Cheese' finally caved in and renamed the product 'Cheers Cheese'. I suppose to the politically correct brigade it all sounds fair. Mr Edward William Coon named his company and his product using his family name. Should the founder of Coon Cheese, and his descendants, also change their surname, lest they upset the politically correct?

One can find any number of words that can be considered politically incorrect if one looks hard enough, but why would you unless you are simply trolling for negativity.

And what of John Nigger, the actor, should he change his name so as not to offend anyone. There are any number of terminologies that don't accord well with the politically correct, but any terminology is only derogatory if used in a derogatory manner.

So I guess reading your link in it's entirety will not change anything and certainly will not suit your agenda.

I'm happy in the knowledge I have not used the term 'Jap bike' in a derogatory manner, quite the opposite in fact, but if it makes you happy to do so, you stick to your agenda.
Old 03-11-2022, 07:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoy View Post
To be fair to the bogan,
Very nice sir: see attached 'toon explaining "Bogans".

FWIW I thought the troll was from Rochester ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bogans1.jpeg
Views:	118
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	163915  

Last edited by digger doug; 03-11-2022 at 08:15 AM.
Old 03-11-2022, 04:38 PM
Yobbo

Nope, he's from NW Pa.

Take heart, you don't have to choose between feral or bogan when you grow up, You are already both and you haven't even grown up yet, still reading cartoons!