Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 03-01-2016, 08:09 AM

Use the same swirl ring for Finecut, and all the shielded processes up through 85 amps....part number 220857. There is a separate Finecut swirl ring....only recommended for use if you are hand cutting and having issues with edge starting and getting the arc to transfer.

The 220948 shield is best for Finecut .....not a true shield technology like the others, but it extends slightly below the Finecut nozzle....so contact with the material does not allow double arcing......it also works with ohmic sensing if your height control has that ability.

Jim Colt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott V View Post
So you need a fine cut swirl ring,fine cut 45 nozzle.Then....
Which shield do you use with the 45 amp fine cuts? (65 torch)
I see a hand held one, un-shielded.. Any other ones.. Have not looked all that close yet.. I have the machine on order, (083300) and want to get some of the consumables ready for mostly Mech. cutting..
Old 03-01-2016, 10:56 AM
Elite Member

Looks like I figured it out Pretty well. Manual is not very clear and has a picture break down of 220953 retaining cap when using fine cut nozzles, and the Fine Cut Ohmic #220948 shield. No mention of using the 220854 retaining cap with the Ohmic #220948 shield setup. ( fine cut machine cutting) That should be stated as a option for different plate sensing systems.. So you don't end up buying something you do not need, and have no use for.. Shows the 220854 retaining cap in use when fine cutting by hand, also using the fine cut swirl ring.

Maybe it's just me, but the manual leaves that info out.. I sure did not see it anywhere as a option.

Page 3-14 of the latest manual...

Last edited by Scott V; 03-01-2016 at 11:02 AM.
Old 03-01-2016, 03:46 PM

All torches....mechanized and hand are shipped with the standard 220854 retaining cap. The 220953 is identical and performs exactly the same....except it has the wire tab connector for Ohmic contact....that about 10% of cnc machines have (though that number is climbing). I will put in a request to our tech writers to put an explanation of that in future manuals.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott V View Post
Looks like I figured it out Pretty well. Manual is not very clear and has a picture break down of 220953 retaining cap when using fine cut nozzles, and the Fine Cut Ohmic #220948 shield. No mention of using the 220854 retaining cap with the Ohmic #220948 shield setup. ( fine cut machine cutting) That should be stated as a option for different plate sensing systems.. So you don't end up buying something you do not need, and have no use for.. Shows the 220854 retaining cap in use when fine cutting by hand, also using the fine cut swirl ring.

Maybe it's just me, but the manual leaves that info out.. I sure did not see it anywhere as a option.

Page 3-14 of the latest manual...
Old 03-01-2016, 04:08 PM
Elite Member

I messed with figuring out Thermal, and Esab, so this is pretty minor.
There is enough info on the net to point you to the standard cap working with it, but we all like pictures..

I could add the Ohmic contact ,but I really have not had a real need to. At least up to this point in time..

Did add this today.. I am thinking $60.00 is not that bad, and gives me a few more options with the hand torch.

Speaking of options..
HyAccess 65*A consumables is what I really am interested in .(hand cutting option)

http://weldfabulous.com/hypertherm-4...FcNlfgodhagBuw
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HYP850930-2.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	129689  

Last edited by Scott V; 03-01-2016 at 05:04 PM.
Old 03-07-2016, 12:36 PM

Here is a table that has the capability to do plasma and router.

http://www.cncplasmacutterinc.com/blaze-hd/
Old 03-07-2016, 02:26 PM

There are a lot of dual purpose router / plasma machines. Unfortunatly you cannot optimize both processes on the same machine. Differences are:

- Plasma (for optimized cut quality on a wide range of materials) requires a speed range of about 5 ipm to about 350 ipm, and with acceleration that can exit a corner and get to full speed in a very short distance.

-Routing typically will run at speeds much slower than plasma and requires more torque. Drive motors need defferent levels of gear reduction in order to accommodate both processes for best performance.

-Plasma requires a well designed fume control system (either water table or downdraft...or combination of both). Also requires a metal slat bed that holds the material being cut rigidly, and conducts from the Plasmacutter work cable to the material....the slat bed is sacrificial.

-Routers need material hold down....either clamping devices or vacuum tables. Of course to switch from plasma to routing you would need to change a lot of components for holding the material and or fume control.....loss of productivity, and unlikely that either process would be optimized for fume control (plasma) or material hold down / clamping for the router.

-Machine control and CAM software. Plasma functionality is quite different from router software. Kerf compensation, height control, z axis (3D) for the router....if all combined make for a difficult to learn and use software package.

Still, for the small shop with limited floorspace that is not worried about productivity....there are a number of companies (like PlasmaRoute) that have options for both plasma cutting and routing on the same machine.

Jim Colt Hypertherm