Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 09-01-2011, 07:48 PM

Default mm251 and generater

Hi Guys, I am wondering if anyone has run their 251 from a genset. I have used as well as owned a 251 for many years, and now find myself in need to do some onsight welding from a generater. 20 kw. possibly 208 volt. I am concerned about potential damage to the machine.. Anyone with first hand experience?? Miles
Old 09-03-2011, 01:12 PM

Has no one ever plugged a mm251 into a genny??
Old 09-03-2011, 01:17 PM

12-29-1943 to 1-17-2020
Curmudgeon emeritus

I can't help you, Miles.
I have a 251 but I don't have a generator & so far haven't needed one.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"I am not a body, I am free.
For I am still as God created me."
Old 09-03-2011, 01:35 PM

10-28-1951 to 4-19-2021
Da Chief

For what it's worth, My Mitsubishi 8500 genset runs my MM210 just fine, as does my Generac 6.5 K. (I only used it up to 110 amp setting though) I haven't tried the new/old Dial arc on any of the generators yet, that old girl is way too heavy to go portable anyway.

My propane, wholehouse, 17 K Guardian genset will handle the house, AC, well pumps and the shop load, although it is a bit thirsty at full load. (3.5 GPH) Water heater, stove and clothes dryer are propane, so that frees up a lot of load capicity.

RED (living on a sand spit, in the land of hurrycain's)

What I really need to know is, WHEN DOES THE SHOOTING START?
Old 09-03-2011, 02:44 PM

Thanks for the replies. I posted the same question on the miller board and a few people with a lot of knowledge and experience responded with encouraging posts. I will most likely proceed with the welds.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:07 PM
Elite Member

Miles,

I have run my MM210 off my Trailblazer 302 without any problems and I believe that puts out 10kw or 10.5kw. Now, we may need to get a sparky involved here. I believe 208 volts would put that into the 3 phase range, and your MM251 would need to be switched over to 3 phase which I believe all you need to do is move the push in contactor from single to 3 phase. That is the way it would be done for the MM210, but the MM251 may be different. At 20kw you should have power to spare. Because I am not too sure about the 3 phase issue, you may want to get a hold of one of the spark's on here to confirm it......good luck
Old 09-03-2011, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
Miles,

I have run my MM210 off my Trailblazer 302 without any problems and I believe that puts out 10kw or 10.5kw. Now, we may need to get a sparky involved here. I believe 208 volts would put that into the 3 phase range, and your MM251 would need to be switched over to 3 phase which I believe all you need to do is move the push in contactor from single to 3 phase. That is the way it would be done for the MM210, but the MM251 may be different. At 20kw you should have power to spare. Because I am not too sure about the 3 phase issue, you may want to get a hold of one of the spark's on here to confirm it......good luck
Thanks for the input Pat. Correct me if this does not sound right, but I believe 208v is what you get between any two of the three hot legs of a common 3 phase set up. If you were to measure the voltage from any one leg to neutral, in a four wire setup, you would see 120 volts.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:22 PM
Elite Member

Miles,

You could be right on the money, and probably light years ahead of me in the electrical department. Because (I) was not sure, that is why I thought having a sparky venture into this may be a good idea. I would hate to provide some info that was the direct cause for your equipment burning up. But either way, 20kw should do the job.

One thing about running it on a generator, I found that I had to have the idle set at high to avoid cold starts. When I had the 302 in the idle/standby mode, I would get some cold starts until it reved up to speed. I don't know if this would be normal, or if I just have a touchy unit. The first time I combined the two, I was at a friends house who said he had a 220 hook up in his shop. Well he did, but at some time or another all the wiring going to the outlet had been removed.

To save some money he had cut most of the pieces for his 16 foot trailer, and I did not want to haul all that back to my shop, and stick was out because he wanted to learn how to MIG weld. So I made an adapter cable and we slapped that thing together using the MM210 and the 302. I did not know what to expect, and had only heard of others doing it with out any problems. Because it was a MM210, I thought it may not have enough poop for the thicker critical stuff, so I did stick things like the frame, tongue, and axle mounts. Let us know how it works out for you.
Old 09-17-2011, 02:11 PM

Hi Guys. Just a quick update for those of you who may need to run your 251 from a generater. I took a 10kw single phase genny and had no problems at all with the welds. My 251 ran perfectly. Kind of after the fact, but I ran into a miller rep. at a tool store today and asked him if there could be any issues and he said no unless you shut down the genny before turnning of the welder. Thanks for you help.. Miles
Old 09-17-2011, 02:22 PM

12-29-1943 to 1-17-2020
Curmudgeon emeritus

Thank you, Miles.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"I am not a body, I am free.
For I am still as God created me."