Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 06-12-2011, 11:06 AM
overkill 19 overkill 19 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Red Deer,Alberta, Canada
Posts: 25
Default

p.s I think they qouted me a 20A spool for $600+ not the 30A
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-12-2011, 11:33 AM
miles miles is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: red deer alberta canada
Posts: 26
Default

Nice to see someone else from red deer here. I paid $950 for the 30a spoolgun just a few months ago
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-12-2011, 12:25 PM
overkill 19 overkill 19 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Red Deer,Alberta, Canada
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles View Post
Nice to see someone else from red deer here. I paid $950 for the 30a spoolgun just a few months ago
R u happy with it?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-12-2011, 12:37 PM
miles miles is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: red deer alberta canada
Posts: 26
Default

Yes,It works well. I don't use it much, but when I need to weld alum that is a 1/8th or more, it does the job.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-12-2011, 12:46 PM
Shade Tree Welder's Avatar
Shade Tree Welder Shade Tree Welder is offline
Grumpy Bastard
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Kankakee County, IL
Posts: 22,399
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danh43 View Post
We currently have miller 30A spools and python push pulls like them both the python is harder to handle if you weld all day with it or out of position.but you don't have to change wire as often. Miller is balanced well both work well with pulse. price seems a little hi i just priced a lincoln python at 1500. miller 30a spool for 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by overkill 19 View Post
Thanks for the input. I think out the door a alums pro is $2100 and change unless you catch a sale! I don't plan on much aluminum but I think once I start I'll do more than exspected. But I think a spool will fill my needs, I've been told push pull can be alittle finicky and pile up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by overkill 19 View Post
p.s I think they qouted me a 20A spool for $600+ not the 30A
Quote:
Originally Posted by miles View Post
Nice to see someone else from red deer here. I paid $950 for the 30a spoolgun just a few months ago
Even though the US and Canadian dollars are near parity. I thing they still
bend Canadians of the barrel sometimes on pricing.

Even with the 30A you have to watch your duty cycle (DC) you can melt
down a 30A spool gun on a 350P. I have melted down an M-25 gun and that
was a whole lot cheaper to replace than a 30A. The gun they quoted you
must be even lower DC, I'd would recommend stepping up to a 30A gun.

Although $950 is on par with are cost here in the States.
__________________
Shade

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-12-2011, 12:58 PM
overkill 19 overkill 19 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Red Deer,Alberta, Canada
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade Tree Welder View Post
Even though the US and Canadian dollars are near parity. I thing they still
bend Canadians of the barrel sometimes on pricing.

Even with the 30A you have to watch your duty cycle (DC) you can melt
down a 30A spool gun on a 350P. I have melted down an M-25 gun and that
was a whole lot cheaper to replace than a 30A. The gun they quoted you
must be even lower DC, I'd would recommend stepping up to a 30A gun.

Although $950 is on par with are cost here in the States.
Thanks, I will if I go to a spool. Looking at the web site a 20A will not work on a 350P anyway.

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/...gun-chart.html
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-12-2011, 01:06 PM
overkill 19 overkill 19 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Red Deer,Alberta, Canada
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade Tree Welder View Post
Even though the US and Canadian dollars are near parity. I thing they still
bend Canadians of the barrel sometimes on pricing.

Even with the 30A you have to watch your duty cycle (DC) you can melt
down a 30A spool gun on a 350P. I have melted down an M-25 gun and that
was a whole lot cheaper to replace than a 30A. The gun they quoted you
must be even lower DC, I'd would recommend stepping up to a 30A gun.

Although $950 is on par with are cost here in the States.
I paid $4600CAD tax in for a 350P and a ellte auto helmet so it was accually cheaper then the 3 places I called in Great Falls,MT
just the welder was $4250us was the cheapest in GF and thats a 14 hour round trip to go get it. So I think they have come around on pricing. I should have bought a alum gun but was un sure on which one to get at that time....i'm still up in the air! Guys who have the Aluma pro say buy it, the guys who have a spool say buy a spool.

It's just like guys who own Fords they think thier truck is the best!!!! lol
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-13-2011, 06:29 AM
Shade Tree Welder's Avatar
Shade Tree Welder Shade Tree Welder is offline
Grumpy Bastard
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Kankakee County, IL
Posts: 22,399
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by overkill 19 View Post
I paid $4600CAD tax in for a 350P and a ellte auto helmet so it was accually cheaper then the 3 places I called in Great Falls,MT
just the welder was $4250us was the cheapest in GF and thats a 14 hour round trip to go get it. So I think they have come around on pricing. I should have bought a alum gun but was un sure on which one to get at that time....i'm still up in the air! Guys who have the Aluma pro say buy it, the guys who have a spool say buy a spool.

It's just like guys who own Fords they think thier truck is the best!!!! lol
I just got an email back, MM 350P procured locally would be $3650 plus tax
of 6.25% or $3878. Not to be a party pooper, I think you need to twist some
arms harder. BTW, all Miller equipment ships freight included so the price
is the same to all distributors at least in the US, don't know if that carries in
to Canada.

I was in the same boat as you with the spoolgun v. push pull, if I did enough
aluminum I would have purchased the p/p gun, it never did much and the s/g
worked out great.

Also with the s/g you can leave it hooked up and have the steel hooked up
at the same time and run either with little switch over time, gas might be the
only thing unless you get the dual cylinder rack too.

And the s/g v. the p/p at half the price... BTW the $950 for the 30A is a
good price.
__________________
Shade

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-13-2011, 07:50 AM
LW Hiway's Avatar
LW Hiway LW Hiway is offline
Lord of the Minions
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Fuck Lake Charles
Posts: 21,434
Default

Well, Shade, when it comes to a purchase like this, finding values after the fact does little to offset the moths in the pocket book.

I say good deal no matter. I think everyone should have a MM350P in the kitchen and two out back.

Now, about that Fords and Cheby comment. I cannot knock the use of a spool gun, just for the reason Shade mentioned. It can sit waiting all hooked up and coiled nicely, while the steel gun is in use. But, I have seen some benefits with the p/p's, even from the 'Farmer Brown' point of views.

BTW, how many of the 350's do we have within the membership these days?
__________________
God, if you would grant me one request through Prayer, please help me be the Man my Dog thinks I am. Please.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-13-2011, 08:48 AM
overkill 19 overkill 19 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Red Deer,Alberta, Canada
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade Tree Welder View Post
I just got an email back, MM 350P procured locally would be $3650 plus tax
of 6.25% or $3878. Not to be a party pooper, I think you need to twist some
arms harder. BTW, all Miller equipment ships freight included so the price
is the same to all distributors at least in the US, don't know if that carries in
to Canada.

I was in the same boat as you with the spoolgun v. push pull, if I did enough
aluminum I would have purchased the p/p gun, it never did much and the s/g
worked out great.

Also with the s/g you can leave it hooked up and have the steel hooked up
at the same time and run either with little switch over time, gas might be the
only thing unless you get the dual cylinder rack too.

And the s/g v. the p/p at half the price... BTW the $950 for the 30A is a
good price.
Thanks, The welder was $4100 plus 5%= $4305 so knowing what UPS charges us Canuks to drive stuff across the border...I think I got a good deal. For the sake of $427 I bought local and dont have to sweat un known duty/broakerage fees that seam to pop up magically when some shippers ship x boarder.
I like the idea of the spool gun hooked up all the time as well. I think I'll go with the 30A once my garage is done......maybe I'll re-label the bill "trusses or concrete" so my wife doesnt catch me!
I orederd a dual rack as well.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Web Search:

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.