Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 04-19-2018, 09:35 PM
Something's Fishy ...

I owed a three phase surface grinder 30 years ago. Got it set up and running correctly. Then an employee set a big gen set on the power cable and let the magic smoke out. Rather than fess up he replaced the power cord.
I came into the shop to see the spark stream going away from the deflector and onto a different work staton. Before I could do anything the wheel came off and became a ten pound ping pong ball. nobody got hurt but it was close.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:00 PM
I can dig it

Worst one I had was a 1” wide, 8” diameter wheel that blew apart. I can still visualize the two pieces that flew up and over my shoulders either side of my head.

Turned out there was a steel shaving that had came out of a threaded hole and ended up under a part, I was batch grinding 20-30 parts at a go and missed the shaving.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
Old 04-20-2018, 08:23 AM
Elite Member

I was running a "Big" surface grinder (16" wheel) with a DC chuck. Things were going great till the power quit. The work bounced off the wall, how it cleared the spark guard I have no idea. The wheel was in about a million pieces. The chuck was replaced with a permanent magnet one. I didn't think it affected me that much, till the first cut. I about ducked under the machine. It took a while to feel comfortable again.

Why do I have to press one for English when you're just gonna transfer me to someone I can't understand anyway?

Grant me the strength to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can & the friends to post my bail when I finally snap!