Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 03-07-2022, 10:50 PM

Default lets talk springs

My 1963 Ford 2000 tractor hydraulic lift has been giving me problems for years. It finally quit working altogether last summer. With mowing season around the corner it was time to get it fixed. I tore it down this weekend and found a couple small issues to include one broken compression spring.

I couldn't get the adjustments right and finally tracked down a broken "drawbar control spring" This afternoon I ran by the CNH dealer to get one ordered. $67 for one spring

I need the tractor so I ordered one. I was always of the opinion to replace springs with OEM if possible. But I got to wondering if I couldn't order a spring from Mcmaster by ordering the same ID, OD, overall length and wire diameter. Would that get me close enough for an old tractor. I cant see them putting a proprietary spring in there but it is Ford.

Would y'all order the $67 OE part or take a chance on a Mcmaster 6 for $20 spring?
Old 03-07-2022, 10:59 PM
Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip knot View Post
My 1963 Ford 2000 tractor hydraulic lift has been giving me problems for years. It finally quit working altogether last summer. With mowing season around the corner it was time to get it fixed. I tore it down this weekend and found a couple small issues to include one broken compression spring.

I couldn't get the adjustments right and finally tracked down a broken "drawbar control spring" This afternoon I ran by the CNH dealer to get one ordered. $67 for one spring

I need the tractor so I ordered one. I was always of the opinion to replace springs with OEM if possible. But I got to wondering if I couldn't order a spring from Mcmaster by ordering the same ID, OD, overall length and wire diameter. Would that get me close enough for an old tractor. I cant see them putting a proprietary spring in there but it is Ford.

Would y'all order the $67 OE part or take a chance on a Mcmaster 6 for $20 spring?
You also need to know the spring rate, if you can find the spring rate for the old spring, you have a chance.

https://www.mcmaster.com/springs/cor..._3681580983794

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 03-07-2022, 11:16 PM
I can dig it

Do you have a service manual for your tractor? The hydraulics should be very similar to the 600 series that was it’s predecessor. Often finding literature for the ‘63/‘64 2000 and 4000 series can be problematic.

I may have a copy here, I’ll try to take a peek in the morning before I head north for two weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-07-2022, 11:23 PM

Any suggestion on how to determine spring rate on a broken spring? Can you even get spring rate from a broken spring? The spring is @3in long and the longer broken piece is @1.75in. I forgot the spring in my work jacket.

I thought i would plug the specs into the Mcmaster menu and see what it gives me.

I tried running the CNH parts look up page but its been down for a few weeks. If I could get a CNH part number I could probably chase that number too. when the hew spring gets here, I'll have the number but wont need it then.
Old 03-07-2022, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywynd View Post
Do you have a service manual for your tractor? The hydraulics should be very similar to the 600 series that was it’s predecessor. Often finding literature for the ‘63/‘64 2000 and 4000 series can be problematic.

I may have a copy here, I’ll try to take a peek in the morning before I head north for two weeks.

I've got an I&T FO20 service manual but not a Ford service manual. The FO20 manual covers the 100 series and the early 1000 series.
Old 03-07-2022, 11:41 PM
Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Any suggestion on how to determine spring rate on a broken spring? Can you even get spring rate from a broken spring? The spring is @3in long and the longer broken piece is @1.75in. I forgot the spring in my work jacket.

I thought i would plug the specs into the Mcmaster menu and see what it gives me.

I tried running the CNH parts look up page but its been down for a few weeks. If I could get a CNH part number I could probably chase that number too. when the hew spring gets here, I'll have the number but wont need it then.
Old used springs tend to soften up. So even if you could test a broken spring
and I don't know how you would do that, the value you would get would still
be suspect. If you could get any force specifications from an old manual that
would be a better option. I have seen some old manual that say if you
compress a spring with X pounds of for the length should be Y inches.
You could then get an good estimate for the spring rate.

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 03-08-2022, 12:57 AM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

Back in the days (way back) when we built hot rods we played around with coil springs quite a bit. If you duplicate the diameter of the coil, diameter of the wire, no. of turns and the length of the coil you should be pretty close. You may see some variation due to the metallurgy of the wire but it shouldn't be much and, unless the factory spring is something really special--which I highly doubt--an aftermarket spring should be fine. The trick is to get one as close to the original as possible. Any deviation from the parameters of the original will change the overall spring rate...

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?
Old 03-08-2022, 08:33 AM
I can dig it

Quote:
I've got an I&T FO20 service manual but not a Ford service manual. The FO20 manual covers the 100 series and the early 1000 series.

Those manuals work well, I’ve compared them before and they are almost word for word on the older stuff.

If I have one here it’s likely the I&T version too.

It’s common with age for the 5/16” diameter follower pin to wear thru, and that will in turn affect the adjustments and limit your lift height. Last one I did I used the body of a 5/16” bolt to replace the pin with.

Old 03-08-2022, 09:25 AM
Director of Languages

Try this URL, its for europe, but I'm assuming a 2000 is a 2000 all over the world.

https://www.mycnhistore.com/eu/en/ne.../EU_B_A_01_AGR

Nope, I just googled a 1963 Ford 2000. Never seen anything like that before. the 2000 was introduced in 1964 over here and looks a lot different, but don't know if they're actually different under the skin.
Old 03-08-2022, 10:44 AM

The 63 2000 is a 4 cylinder machine. I believe the 64 went to 3 cylinders and a hi low transmission. Quite a different machine.

Thanks for the input. I was thinking along the same line as LKeithR. Close enough would probably work. Maybe next time I’ll give it a try. Already had the CNH part ordered. I’ve got 2 of these early 2000 tractors and an 861 so I’m sure I’ll get a chance to try a generic spring out soon enough. The 5/16 pin and a stuck unload valve are common maladies with this generation of fords. I always put a new pin and unload oring in when I open one up. First time for a broken spring though