Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 02-14-2022, 04:33 PM
Chairman of the Headboard

Location: Northwest Illinois,.. the land of Fat Greasy Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BukitCase View Post

Obviously your money/your choice, but it's good to know what's out there... Steve
Yes, that is exactly why I posted this, I did not know about the Capri, I like Taiwan a whole lot better than China, will do some searching the webs for more info on this baby. Id be ok, dropping another C-note...

Thanks for the share !
Old 02-14-2022, 06:31 PM
Elite Member

You're entirely welcome, always glad to spend OPM

This is the one I'm looking at, forged steel and lifetime warranty

https://www.amazon.com/Capri-Tools-1...982067665&th=1

I already have one "truck" vise, it's a really old "olympia" 6" mounted to a 12" long boxed in piece of 10" channel with a 2' long piece of 2" .250 wall tube let into the channel wall - I have multiple receivers welded on the front bucket of my 580B, and it comes in handy for heavier jobs but weighs right at 100 lbs (which = my NEW 200 lbs)

The 4" forged one is like 24 lbs, hopefully THIS time I can keep total weight of the "truck" version down to 50 (my new 100 :=)

I wouldn't mind having their 6" forged (single plane of rotation) version at 44 lbs, but it's DOUBLE the $$$ so for the few times I might need that size, I'll rig up one of my "mini-jib" cranes if I'm feelin' too wimpy to move the 100 pounder... Steve
Old 02-14-2022, 06:37 PM
Gold Star Dad

I have a Swordfish brand rotating vise like that I got maybe 30 years back for about $45. new. I haven't beat on it, but it appears to be very nicely made. 4 inch jaws, opens to 3 1/2 inches. Very little slop.

I was on a business trip out west and I brought it back in my checked luggage on the airplane. Pretty heavy.
Old 02-14-2022, 06:46 PM
Elite Member

Yeah, I have one that style I got at Costco shortly after I joined - been a POS right from the start. Doesn't work smooth, cast base split after about a year. Re-mounted it directly to the bench, rarely use it for anything.

Haven't bought much of ANYTHING tool related there that isn't a known brand name since (about 14 years now) -

Fool me once... ... Steve
Old 06-07-2022, 07:50 AM

So after looking at several, it was between the Capri and the Yost, and Im not sure why, but I dropped the hammer on the Yost.

Also picked up this private label WW Grainger Vise, not sure who made it, but it looks ideal for a cheap vise to beat on. Its a 5" Taiwan Vise that is stationary. Rated at 60k psi, for whatever that is worth. I gave a $125 for it.. paid $210 for the yost (IIRC).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220523_103504413.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	164925   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220523_103216397.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	177.4 KB
ID:	164926  
Old 06-08-2022, 01:48 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy_Acres View Post
If there was money to set on fire, Id be buying an BIG USA Wilton, but need to make do with something from China, and for doing cylindrical holding work.]
Gosh had I seen this earlier I would have recommended an old Parker. One of the features I like about them is the radius in the throat. The design is conducive to holding round things. They can still be had In good condition for under $200. A well designed vise indeed. cutter liked them too.

It started hitting the fan in the 1950's https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nRnNDkHb0MU

A technologically advanced society would teach their children how to start a fire by rubbing two sticks together before teaching them how to use a lighter.

If you are not having fun then you are doing it wrong.
Old 06-08-2022, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by threepiece View Post
Gosh had I seen this earlier I would have recommended an old Parker. One of the features I like about them is the radius in the throat. The design is conducive to holding round things. They can still be had In good condition for under $200. A well designed vise indeed. cutter liked them too.
Thanks for the tip, never done buying vises.. just needed a new one for some specific work. Ill keep an eye out of a parker of your description.
Old 06-11-2022, 09:04 AM
Elite Member

Charles Parker made a variety of vise styles and sizes but this one pictured is typical of the most popular.

Notice the circular throat for holding round objects but what I find more desirable is the outside profile of the jaws. These are also have a curved which provide clearance when working a part as in contour filing. I believe they are the finest commercially made machinist vise.

The jaws are unique and custom fitted. They are secured with tapered pins and not easily replaceable so choose one with jaws you can live with and take care of them!

The Charles Parker Company manufactured a wide range of items including guns and shotguns which are highly collectible.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3F3A0394-DA1F-4937-9339-06CFDB9FCCCA.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	220.3 KB
ID:	164962  

It started hitting the fan in the 1950's https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nRnNDkHb0MU

A technologically advanced society would teach their children how to start a fire by rubbing two sticks together before teaching them how to use a lighter.

If you are not having fun then you are doing it wrong.