Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 01-18-2022, 01:01 PM
Made From Scratch

Default Dewalt Flex Volt Grinders

This is a warning for tire kickers. The box stores don't have these things out where you can really see anything and the box doesn't tell you shit.

Today I bought a Dewalt Flex Volt grinder from Home Depot. They had 3 choices:

First a 129 dollar "cut off tool" that only runs at 7000 rpm and looks pretty gutless.

Next step up was a 9000rpm 20 volt grinder that looks like a nice unit, but was not available with batteries at that store. I already have 4 drills and 6 batteries so I really wanted more batteries with the grinder.

3rd choice appeared to be the same grinder with a flexvolt battery and charger for $319 and I bought it assuming (my mistake) I could use it with all my other Dewalt batteries. Not the case. The flexvolt battery will work with any of my 20volt tools, but the 20volt batteries do not work with the flexvolt grinder.

The idea was a grinder to keep in the truck for mostly quick jobs, and now I have to carry a 2nd charger and 2nd type of battery. Its a very nice tool, but not working out how I wanted. The bigger grinder will be nicer to use, but not as convenient to haul around.
Old 01-18-2022, 01:11 PM
Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Shade View Post
3rd choice appeared to be the same grinder with a flexvolt battery and charger for $319 and I bought it assuming (my mistake) I could use it with all my other Dewalt batteries. Not the case. The flexvolt battery will work with any of my 20volt tools, but the 20volt batteries do not work with the flexvolt grinder.

The idea was a grinder to keep in the truck for mostly quick jobs, and now I have to carry a 2nd charger and 2nd type of battery. Its a very nice tool, but not working out how I wanted. The bigger grinder will be nicer to use, but not as convenient to haul around.
Yes you are correct, the 60V will work in the 20V tools but the 20V batteries
will not work in the 60V tools. But that does make sense. There are just 3
20V set ups in and tool determines if they are used in series or parallel.

I have 4 of the 60V Flex Volt tools and 3 of those batteries. BTW the 60V
charger will charge your 20V tools. I have that grinder and like it quite a bit
so far. I also have the chainsaw and 7-1/4" circular saw. I like all of them so
far. I also have the leaf blower that came as a combo with the chainsaw, I
use it mostly for chasing the fucking asshole ducks away from the shop. It
was like only $20 more than just the chainsaw alone.

I like the chainsaw over my old Stihl MS 192T. More power and less
headache and maintenance.

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 01-18-2022, 01:28 PM
Made From Scratch

Its a great tool, just not what I expected.

It looks like this grinder is about 1900 watts, and the 20volt model is about 1500 which makes this a nicer grinder, but you should figure in the number and cost of batteries when you buy, if you don't already have flex volt tools. I kind of thought I was getting the 1500 watt grinder, with what would end up being an extended use battery.

Most of my portable work can probably be done on one battery, but I will have to remember to charge it from time to time between uses.
Old 01-18-2022, 03:55 PM
Banned

Interesting information presented.

"1900 watts" I would normally call BS, because you can't get that much from
a standard 120v wall outlet....But these are battery powered, so let's hear
how they doo under heavy usage.
Old 01-18-2022, 04:55 PM
Made From Scratch

I will post more info when I put it through its paces. I can say that it feels like it weighs double what my corded Dewalt grinder weighs and that is a 13 amp.

Interestingly enough, the battery powered grinder is 9000rpm while the corded grinder is 11,000 rpm despite the lower wattage.
Old 02-15-2022, 08:58 PM
Made From Scratch

First impressions after using this thing for a couple jobs.

The power is great, it feels pretty much like using a corded grinder. I have used it with 4.5 inch cutting wheels, as well as 4.5 inch flap discs.

The battery life is nothing to write home about. First use, I was changing teeth on an arena drag, they are knock on teeth and I slit the side of them to get the old ones off. I cut all ten teeth and used about a 1/4 of a cutting wheel, with no noticeable change in performance from the grinder.

The grinder then rode around in the truck box in the cold for a few weeks and wasn't needed.

Today I started building a large steel table/cabinet for an outdoor kitchen and decided to get the cordless grinder out and try it out. I think I ground one weld down before it started kicking off every 5 to 10 seconds. The battery showed 2 bars on the little status light on the back, but it would not run.

I thought maybe it was too cold, so I put it inside to warm up awhile and that made no difference, so I charged it. It seemed to charge very quickly, and then it ran great. I ground down about a dozen tack welds, and dressed out maybe 6- 2 inch welds that needed to be flush.

I stopped and ate dinner and came back later and the grinder was back to kicking off every 5 to 10 seconds. This time the battery showed one bar (of three) and I gave up and put it back on the charger.

At this point I think the grinder is ok for quick jobs, but I would need a pile of batteries to use it for serious jobs. Hoping the performance improves when the weather warms up.
Old 02-19-2022, 09:52 AM
Big Iron

I have two of the 4-1/2” flexvolt grinders. They are ok, but big, so they don’t leave my shop.
In my truck, I have two Milwaukee 18v fuel grinders that are smaller, handier, and kick butt.
I doubt that I will ever buy another yellow grinder.
Old 02-20-2022, 11:02 PM
Made From Scratch

I'm really happy with the performance of the grinder. I used it out in a barn lot today working on a manure spreader.It made it through the whole job and has the same grunt as a corded grinder. My only complaint is the batteries are too expensive for the amount of run time and the 60 volt lineup doesn't have any cost effective ways to expand your collection.

I really don't see how they justify the prices, but I guess I bought the stuff so maybe I'm the idiot.

60V Grinder with 1-9AH battery and 6 amp charger was around $320 at home depot

A 60V grinder is $239 bare tool (amazon)

Most of their chargers sold alone are around $40 (amazon)

A 9AH battery by itself is $208 bucks (2 packs are around $300, amazon)

So theoretically you get a $480 value for $320 when you buy the kit, it has never made sense to buy just batteries with any of their tools, but they kind of have you stuck doing that in this circumstance.

The flexvolt drill/driver combos all come with 1-6AH 60v battery and 1-20v batery, which doesn't complement the grinder at all, and a set of them is around $400. They make a 12AH battery that is $300 by itself and would probably be OK on the grinder. There just aren't many other tools available that take the same battery and let you get the value of bundling stuff in a kit. The 3 choices i found to get a nice tool and a couple 9AH batteries are the hammer drill ($700), Circular saw ($450), and concrete saw ($850). Wouldn't mind having any of them but they aren't tools you just buy to have at those prices.

It would make more sense to sell the grinder with 2 batteries and bundle it for around $400 bucks. I'm sure I will eventually end up buying a 2 pack of the 9AH batteries. This is working fine for what I bought it for for now though. Maybe they will expand the lineup as time goes on. 60v
Old 02-21-2022, 09:40 AM
Banned

I wonder....to get more run time, if Dewalt could offer a tool belt, with 2-4
battery sockets around the edge (much like your on-the-scene-news-videographers use).
So you wouldn't have any battery weight at the tool, and a coil cord to your tool belt.
Old 02-21-2022, 09:51 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
I have two of the 4-1/2” flexvolt grinders. They are ok, but big, so they don’t leave my shop.
In my truck, I have two Milwaukee 18v fuel grinders that are smaller, handier, and kick butt.
I doubt that I will ever buy another yellow grinder.
I'm with you. I have one yellow tool left that has not burnt. My 5" skill saw runs like an energizer bunny, and needs about 3 batteries to get a job done.
My Milwaukee 1/2 drill has been used to the point that the chuck wore out and is in for replacement. Battery life is awesome.
Milwaukee 18v grinder I find is a heavy user, but I still don't have to stop to charge or switch. Mostly I've used with a cutoff wheel.

When a liberal screams racism, you can bet they were also born with white skin.
“The word ‘racism’ is like ketchup. It can be put on practically anything — and demanding evidence makes you a ‘racist’.”
Thomas Sowell