Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 07-01-2005, 07:06 AM

Default BIG Pipe Needed

I have been wanting for years to build a golf ball cannon. I would like to cheat a little on the fabrication, as I don't have a monster lathe at home. I need a piece of pipe that is 4" OD, with a 1.75" ID. I need three feet in length. Any help in sourcing this material would be appreciated.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:46 AM
North West Redneck

Hi Arbo, I used to buy a lot of tubing close to what you are looking for. Most of the stuff I bought was 4 and 6-inch with 1-inch wall thickness. Believe it or not there are only a couple outfits in the Puget Sound area that carry this kind of stuff. I looked in my vender’s phone book for their names, then looked to see if they had web sites, just so you could reference, Nope, no web sites, but I do have a toll free number, if it’s still good, maybe they will know of a supplier in your area. Marmon / Keystone Auburn, WA 1 800 426-3958. Going to build a cannon? I used to work with a deck engineer who was really into cannons. One time we were driving pile in one of Tacoma’s many waterways, building a container ship terminal. Geno took and old piece of boom lacing, about 3-inches OD pipe, welded an end cap to one end. Drilled two ½-inch holes, one about 1-inch from the end cap the other about 4-inches from the end cap. He would bring in large potatoes from home. Place this make shift cannon on the back of the derrick. He took an extension cord, cut the female end off of it, and flayed all three wires, making sure they touched each other, placed the extension cord in the hole 1-inch from the end cap. Then he would light the O/A torch, get the correct flame, and then snuff it out. While the O/A was still flowing he would place the cutting tip in the hole 4-inches from the end cap. Now with the potato shoved way down in the pipe, he would plug the extension cord into the welding machine. Kaboom, these potatoes would fly all the way across the water way and hit the side of container ships on the other side! Well in no time he got bored with just using potatoes, so he moved up to soup cans.
Old 07-01-2005, 08:35 AM
North West Redneck

Here is a picture of what we generally used that heavy wall tubing for. These pile gates just take a beaten all the time. Especially driving concrete batter pile. The rubber wheels you see in this picture are only for painted pile. If we scratched the paint anywhere from the top of the pile to mud line it had to be repaired. When a diver has to paint under water your looking at BIG $$$$$
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pile gates.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	4822  
Old 07-01-2005, 08:57 AM

The current fad for projectiles is a plastic frozen juice can filled with concrete. They pulverize on impact and put on quite a show.
Old 07-01-2005, 09:05 AM
Elite Member

carl, whatever you do DO NOT post that over on hobarts site !!!

I can see it now

d-
Old 07-01-2005, 09:14 AM
North West Redneck

Oh, they don’t like me there! But why?
Old 07-01-2005, 09:56 AM
Banned

Arbo, FYI, there isn't mechanicle tubing made that fits the parameters for golf ball cannons. You have to go from a billet and drill your own hole.
Don't forget, golf balls are very similar to early experiments in canister shot, you have to compensate for the hydraulics of the ball, or the barrel will split.
Old 07-01-2005, 02:41 PM

Oboy, I wasn't paying attention....Arbo, you DON'T want to shoot golf balls....seriously.....problem is, they never stop bouncing. If you shoot one of those things out of a cannon, somebody may find it 5 miles away. I found this out the hard way!! You're likely to get sued, or worse. I thought you were talking about tennis balls (just about as bad). better stick to something safe, like old spark plugs, nuts & bolts, nails, stones, etc.....or juice cans filled with concrete!!! actually, concrete is considered a relatively safe load...
Old 07-01-2005, 03:04 PM
Pit Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franz
Arbo, FYI, there isn't mechanicle tubing made that fits the parameters for golf ball cannons. You have to go from a billet and drill your own hole.

Maybe you could use 4" pipe with 1" walls, then use some type of sleve to take up the extra wall space. Maybe cut up a thick towel or some old carpet so it wll fit better?????

Or maybe just find some pipe first and worry about ammo after you build the gun?

Years ago we had one that a coors light would fit in perfectly. We would fill up empty beer cans with sand and shoot them across the field. Gave us something to do while busy drinking. I think a bud light beer can was too fat to fit in it. I didn't actually do the shooting, but it looked like just a pipe welded shut on one end with a hole drilled for the fuse. I think they just poured some gun power down the tube and inserted the beer can on top.
Old 07-01-2005, 03:28 PM

I just finished a T-shirt laucher. It is for a DJ who does events. The breach I made it tigged as is the 3/4 NPT inlet nipple. I have a CO2 bottle hooked up to it. I first tried a sprinkler valve the runs off of 9 volts. The pintle would not let the air by with this much pressure so I just resorted to a ball valve. I checked on McMaster-Carr for a solenoid high pressure valve but I am not paying 300-$400 for a valve. Anyone have any ideas. The cannon part is easy it is the valve that makes it. It must open the orfice very fast and the orfice must be large as well. Here are a couple of Vids I took of the T-shirt launcher last night. Notice I called it a T-shirt launcher but you could use it for veggies....no not me.
T.J.

right click save as

right click save as