Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Members Only > SFT Information

SFT Search:   

Old 11-21-2008, 12:43 PM
Blankee Master

Default Business

How are all you guys doing running your shops. I hear alot of doom and gloom down in the states and up here in Canada, it is slowing down. Trucking is slow, alot of my customers are down 50 % minimum.

So what you say????????????????
Old 11-21-2008, 12:55 PM

right now we are holding our own, but our economy depends on aircraft as much as automotive and aircraft is laying off right now. We just keep plugging away hoping that cars will start selling again and the economy will pick up. Most of my customers are starting to see drops as well, but not drastic like in other areas, yet.

“Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without”
Old 11-21-2008, 12:55 PM
Blood, Sweat & Concrete

Send a message via MSN to DDA52

I say much the same. We are running less than 25% of "normal". Sold one truck and have just enough to keep the other one busy for now.

Grand High Poobah...(by appointment.)
Old 11-21-2008, 01:49 PM
That HURT!

I'm down about 30-35% from same qtr last year. Alot of my regular customers bagged it and won't be back but most of them are the ones that I had to chase for payment so it's no big loss. My core business is still good.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:55 PM
Blankee Master

Were holding our own, down 25 %, but this due to moving the shop twice this year. We moved to a new shop last spring and found we did not like the shop, so moved back to Milton where we don't like this shop either. Were looking to move yet again next month into a 15000 sq ft facility.
Rent is the same, but concerns over the economy.

Were doing more and more outsourcing for customer financing. I get them approved through a private finance company, they cut me a check when I am done the job. That is working out well, customers have less and less money every year, kind of weeds out the chasing.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:21 PM
The Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDA52 View Post
I say much the same. We are running less than 25% of "normal". Sold one truck and have just enough to keep the other one busy for now.
Seems to be a lot of heavy duty trucking going on here in the Big Country.

Lot of wind mill tower sections, blades and generators being hauled to various locations from Abilene. There is a yard on the west side of Pine Street Salvage were the tower sections are unloaded from the railroad flat cars. Could be the blades are also unloaded there as well.

They do a lot of concrete pouring for the wind units as well. Those foundation pads are huge indeed.

Biden & Harris is our enemies favorite candidates

In time the right project will find the scrap pile, no need for the scrap pile to go out looking for a project.

http://www.swiftvets.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=24981

http://tosettherecordstraight.com/index.php
Old 11-21-2008, 04:39 PM
Why, Hell Yes!

its pretty slow down here in fl.
i have not done any outside work in months.
there are several housing projects boarded up.
but there is one new housing project underway just down the road,28 acres that will be condos upstairs and coffee houses etc downstairs.
they started it this week,they bought the land 3 years ago.
my friends up in Ga are slow too.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:44 PM
SFT HVAC Guru

Send a message via AIM to rickairmedic Send a message via MSN to rickairmedic Send a message via Yahoo to rickairmedic

We have almost made it through the slowest year I can remember in my industry in my area if the economy wasnt bad enough we had a mild winter followed by a mild summer . I am hopefull the Farmers Almanac called this winter right and we are in for a doosy as we could use a good season to play catchup .

Rick

Politically Correct : A term used for whiny pu**ies that need sh*t sugar coated .
Old 11-22-2008, 07:55 AM
Big Shovel

We have had the best year on record here, production wise.

Keep in mind (for those of you wondering who the heck this stranger is........) I do agricultural drainage work, and my business is driven by the farm economy, not the auto industry or residential market.

In my line of work, we gauge the year by "feet of drainage pipe installed." Typically I would install about 150,000 to 200,000 ft.per year. My best year was in 1998 installing 230,000 ft.

So far this year we have installed 600,000 ft, with 100,000 or more feet to go. I owe the increase to my new machine that is much more efficient, and also landing three very large jobs, (250,000 ft, and two 120,000 ft jobs)

I bought my machine because of the 250,000 ft job, and the other jobs came because I HAD the machine to do the job, efficiently and on time.

I SHOULD be rolling in the dough, but with record fuel prices, 2 full time (with a lot of overtime hours) employees and all the other overhead that goes into having a business, I am still doing the same financially, it seems.

My current customer, who is new, has already asked me to do 300,000 ft next year for him.

Next years farm economy looks grim, with their overhead way up and crop prices tanking, we'll see if I feel the same in 6 months.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:33 AM
torker

My Fab/Machine shop... was just stupid busy all year...until two weeks before the US elections.
The bottom fell right out of everything. The mining companies I do a lot of work for have slammed shut the wallets. The big forestry giant.. Tembec has laid off people...shut plants down etc.
My motorcycle/sled wrecking yard is as quiet as a true graveyard the past month. My rolling stock.. I've sold one stinking sled so far. And I can't even buy used ones to replace my stock. People are hanging onto their old stuff right now.
I'll be ok.. I hope. I bought a lot of equipment the past year.. backhoe, big mill, ironworker etc. I'm kinda wishing I had some of that cash now. I may need it.
The whole bloody mess...seems to me it's media induced. They say we are all in for it...so everyone shuts the wallet.
Russ