Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 04-22-2022, 07:28 PM

Default Grease gun suggestions

My grease gun is gone. It's not broken, it's gone. I know pretty much exactly where it is, but I aint getting it back. That's all I want to say about that.

So... I need to get a new one. The one I had was the lever type, two handed one. It was probably 30 years old and I have no idea what brand it was, but it worked fine. I do have one of those small grease guns, but it's empty and I'd rather just get a new full sized one. And I want it to be a one handed pistol grip one, not the lever style. I also have no more spare tubes of grease.

1. I could just get a cheapie Amazon one for like 25-ish bucks, there's one on Amazon that seems to be popular, and is making a grease gun really that hard? How bad can it really be?

2. I could just get a standard one, but a better quality one, maybe like a Lincoln for like 40-50 bucks. Those seem to be pretty good.

3. I could get one of those LockNLube guns for 75 bucks. I do like the swivel, locking coupler, and the fake zerk for storing the coupler on the head so it keeps it clean. The locking coupler is pretty much a got to have but I can buy that separate so I got that going for me.

4. I hear nothing but good things about the Lube Shuttle gun. I love the easy loading, the non-oozing grease, the locking coupler, easy to change and store grease, easy to see when it's empty, blah blah blah...

The big game changer with the Lube Shuttle is the way it loads. It makes so much sense. No big stupid spring, no bleeding air, no oozing grease, but there are a couple things I don't like about the Lube Shuttle:
A) the little bit higher price, with gun, locking coupler, and 2 tubes of grease, it's about 110.00 shipped.
B) the availability of grease tubes. Probably have to order online.
C) No spot to store the coupler like the LockNLube has. I really like that, but I guess I could install a zerk in the cap though to solve that problem.

Any advice?
Old 04-22-2022, 08:37 PM
Auction Addict

Have you considered a pneumatic? One hand operation.

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. Plato

LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!

B biggest
I idot
D democrats
E ever
N nominated
Old 04-22-2022, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Have you considered a pneumatic? One hand operation.
Not really interested in a pneumatic.
Old 04-23-2022, 06:27 AM
Why, Hell Yes!

I have a one hand pistol grip style that i have had for ages,one thing i do is screw 2 hoses together so i have 24'' of hose,i can lay the gun on the floor and squeeze away while the other hand holds the coupler.

Also,powered grease guns are dangerous,i had a malfuntion of one and shot my hand full of grease,the docs saved my hand and all 5 fingers,but it took a devoted doc and 6 surgurys to get the grease out.
They cut me wide open and scraped it out,not fun.
High pressure injections are very dangerous.
Just sayin...
Old 04-23-2022, 07:36 AM
Made From Scratch

If you have an autozone nearby I had one of these for about a year and was pretty happy with it. The feed plunger got messed up by what seemed to be a bad tube of grease and I was busy and just tossed it and bought another one. I screwed up and grabbed a lever style that time and still have it, but its not as convenient when you're working in awkward spots.

https://www.autozone.com/grease-and-...MFwg&gclsrc=ds
Old 04-25-2022, 03:47 PM
Grumpy Bastard

If you have Milwaukee or DeWalt cordless tools/battery system, I would go
that route, I have DeWalt and their grease gun is my goto. I also have 2
Lincoln manual guns on the shelf for backup.

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 04-25-2022, 08:36 PM
Chairman of the Headboard

Location: Northwest Illinois,.. the land of Fat Greasy Pancakes

Ive got 2 of the " Lock n lube " ends on two cordless grease guns, love those things !
Old 04-26-2022, 07:29 AM
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to flametamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
4. I hear nothing but good things about the Lube Shuttle gun. I love the easy loading, the non-oozing grease, the locking coupler, easy to change and store grease, easy to see when it's empty, blah blah blah...

The big game changer with the Lube Shuttle is the way it loads. It makes so much sense. No big stupid spring, no bleeding air, no oozing grease, but there are a couple things I don't like about the Lube Shuttle:
B) the availability of grease tubes. Probably have to order online.
I've never seen the Lube Shuttle gun. It looks like it would work well. They do make an adapter to reload their tubes.

Any advice?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade Tree Welder View Post
If you have Milwaukee or DeWalt cordless tools/battery system, I would go that route,
I agree. The Milwaukee guns are stout.

Dt
Old 04-27-2022, 10:20 PM

Want a good grease gun that does not leak. I suggest the Lincoln.

https://www.lubequip.com/lincoln-hand-held-grease-guns

Rereading your post I see you already know about the Lincoln, having one now for 20 years, bulletproof. Stick with what you know.

Last edited by pepi; 04-27-2022 at 10:32 PM.