Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 11-26-2016, 06:56 PM
tackit's Avatar
tackit tackit is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: North Central Indiana
Posts: 1,705
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
I just remembered I have an old fireplace insert I got for free. Bet it has some glass in it!!! Have to go check this morning.
Chris maybe the dump or an appliance store has and old oven with a glass door they will sell cheap.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 11-26-2016, 07:29 PM
milomilo's Avatar
milomilo milomilo is offline
Auction Addict
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Wheatland, Wyoming
Posts: 18,783
Default

The old stove did have glass in the doors but it was too big to fit this stove door. Think I will just drill a 1" hole in the door and make a 2" diameter piece of plate I can swing to the side if I want to peek inside. Kind of like boilers use to check the fire.
__________________
Chris

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. Plato

LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!

B biggest
I idot
D democrats
E ever
N nominated
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 11-26-2016, 07:31 PM
milomilo's Avatar
milomilo milomilo is offline
Auction Addict
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Wheatland, Wyoming
Posts: 18,783
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitetrash View Post
With that flue pipe being outside and prone to cooling off quick and building creosote. I would put it into "Selfclean" mode everytime it's fired it up. Open the draft and let her roar until the stacks clean then bank her back. It won't hurt the pipe and will keep you from hearing that jet engine roar from a real chimney fire. Just my 0.02.
That's the way I usually do it. Helps to heat the pipe so it draws better too.
__________________
Chris

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. Plato

LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!

B biggest
I idot
D democrats
E ever
N nominated
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 11-26-2016, 08:09 PM
Whitetrash's Avatar
Whitetrash Whitetrash is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Estes Park, CO [Around 8000 Ft. Elv.]
Posts: 4,282
Default

I just got done looking at the weather forecast for the coming week. I'm predicting both our woodstoves are going to get the first real workout of the season along with a strong dose of local "BREEZY" winds.
__________________
"Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery."
Winston Churchill
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 11-26-2016, 08:53 PM
milomilo's Avatar
milomilo milomilo is offline
Auction Addict
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Wheatland, Wyoming
Posts: 18,783
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitetrash View Post
I just got done looking at the weather forecast for the coming week. I'm predicting both our woodstoves are going to get the first real workout of the season along with a strong dose of local "BREEZY" winds.
I got a short piece of the 6" x 1/8" wall pipe reduced down to fit the 5" stove to weld to the vertical outside pipe today. It was a trial and error process to get it to the right diameter to fit the 5" stove pipe. Used the Ridgid Tri stand with the chain vise to suck it down, then put in a couple of tacks.

Welded it up with 6011 using a piece of schedule 40 pipe and a heat sink on the inside. Was touchy welding it. Left a 1/16" gap so got a full pen weld that was nice and smooth on the inside by using the 4" pipe that way. Tomorrow morning I will cope it to fit the 6" vertical pipe and weld it in.

Probably use 6011. After that I just need to assemble all the fittings and chunk some wood in it I should have heat in the shop now.
__________________
Chris

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. Plato

LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!

B biggest
I idot
D democrats
E ever
N nominated
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 11-27-2016, 08:33 PM
milomilo's Avatar
milomilo milomilo is offline
Auction Addict
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Wheatland, Wyoming
Posts: 18,783
Default

Well no heat yet. Got all the assembly done, but wind came up to steady 30mph today. Too windy for me to do any welding outside.

Did get the 5" pipe nipple coped to fit a 6 3/4" OD irrigation pipe. Was a hit and miss effort. Took me 3 times cutting to get it to fit right.

Cut a hole in the front door of the stove and made a swing cover so I can see to adjust the air intake. Used a scrap piece of 1/8" I had laying around and a 1/4" bolt for it to swing on.

Maybe first thing in the AM the wind may be down so I can get the welding done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1158.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	136827   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1160.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	136828  
__________________
Chris

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. Plato

LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!

B biggest
I idot
D democrats
E ever
N nominated
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 11-30-2016, 07:08 PM
milomilo's Avatar
milomilo milomilo is offline
Auction Addict
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Wheatland, Wyoming
Posts: 18,783
Default

Welp, the wind died down somewhat so got the Miller bobcat over to the west side of the shop and welded up the 5" nipple to the vertical 6" pipe. Both pipes are galvanized so even with flap sanding it was a real PITA to weld. Used 3/32 6011 on AC and it welded just OK.

Slid the double wall pipe in the hole in the wall and fit it into the nipple. Went in real tight. Took a little while to get it started but all went well after that. Put in the stove pipe at the top of the stove.

Chunked some wood in and viola we have fire!! About 20 minutes later the stove was putting out some heat. Fiddled with the air vents seeing if I could get the adjustments just right. The stove seems to draw well. Noticed a couple of smoke puffs around the door. The door did not have a gasket. Expected I would have to put one in. Have one, just need to get the cement tomorrow.

Heading back out in 30 minutes to see if everything is working OK. Wind is still 20 mph so no pics of the smoke coming out of the stack.

I repeat, I HAVE HEAT IN THE SHOP!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1164.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	136865   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1165.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	136866   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1166.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	136867  
__________________
Chris

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. Plato

LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!

B biggest
I idot
D democrats
E ever
N nominated
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 11-30-2016, 07:20 PM
toprecycler's Avatar
toprecycler toprecycler is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Petoskey, Michigan
Posts: 6,199
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Welp, the wind died down somewhat so got the Miller bobcat over to the west side of the shop and welded up the 5" nipple to the vertical 6" pipe. Both pipes are galvanized so even with flap sanding it was a real PITA to weld. Used 3/32 6011 on AC and it welded just OK. Slid the double wall pipe in the hole in the wall and fit it into the nipple. Went in real tight. Took a little while to get it started but all went well after that. Put in the stove pipe at the top of the stove. Chunked some wood in and viola we have fire!! About 20 minutes later the stove was putting out some heat. Fiddled with the air vents seeing if I could get the adjustments just right. The stove seems to draw well. Noticed a couple of smoke puffs around the door. The door did not have a gasket. Expected I would have to put one in. Have one, just need to get the cement tomorrow. Heading back out in 30 minutes to see if everything is working OK. Wind is still 20 mph so no pics of the smoke coming out of the stack. I repeat, I HAVE HEAT IN THE SHOP!!!!
I am jealous now. Since I added a ten foot lean to addition on to my shop, I had to move where I did have my wood stove. Now I am trying to figure out where to put it. On a good note, to have the addition half filled up and some extra space in the main shop now. And once I pulled out the truck that I was rebuilding a motor for, started 7 years ago, and figure I would not finish it now, I actually drove thru the shop for the first time in 8 years or so!

Now for the rest of the story. Battery died on iPod. :-(

The open shop didn't last long. Monday night I pulled in a table to work on a wood stove modification for a friend. He wants his own maple syrup stove and pans. Been talking about this for several years, and now he has given me some money and traded a vehicle for labor to get him set up. After I get his done, then I need to work on my own setup, that I have neglected to do this summer like I planned. Amazing how the summer flew bye.


Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2084190412.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	136868   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3194932335.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	136869  
__________________
Brian

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden

Last edited by toprecycler; 11-30-2016 at 07:45 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 11-30-2016, 07:33 PM
milomilo's Avatar
milomilo milomilo is offline
Auction Addict
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Wheatland, Wyoming
Posts: 18,783
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by toprecycler View Post
I am jealous now. Since I added a ten foot lean to addition on to my shop, I had to move where I did have my wood stove. Now I am trying to figure out where to put it. On a good note, to have the addition half filled up and some extra space in the main shop now. And once I pulled out the truck that I was rebuilding a motor for, started 7 years ago, and figure I would not finish it now, I actually drove thru the shop for the first time in 8 years or so! Brian
Amazing how quick you can fill it up!!!
__________________
Chris

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. Plato

LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!

B biggest
I idot
D democrats
E ever
N nominated
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 11-30-2016, 09:04 PM
milomilo's Avatar
milomilo milomilo is offline
Auction Addict
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Wheatland, Wyoming
Posts: 18,783
Default

The fire was almost out as I used just small stuff for the test. The outer double wall pipe stayed cool enough you could keep your had on it. New door gaskets tomorrow.
__________________
Chris

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. Plato

LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!

B biggest
I idot
D democrats
E ever
N nominated
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Web Search:

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.