Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Blacksmithing & Forming

SFT Search:   

Old 10-29-2016, 01:18 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

Cam, ever thought of an electric forge?
More moons ago then I care to think of, I took a one day course from here to learn forge welding, and we used an electric forge. You could leave the iron in the forge for an hour and it would never burn, it was at a set temp always.

You could get a solar panel from CanTire and hook it up to the forge, and Premier Snotly would love you.

When a liberal screams racism, you can bet they were also born with white skin.
“The word ‘racism’ is like ketchup. It can be put on practically anything — and demanding evidence makes you a ‘racist’.”
Thomas Sowell
Old 10-29-2016, 11:43 PM
Roving Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
Cam, ever thought of an electric forge?
More moons ago then I care to think of, I took a one day course from here to learn forge welding, and we used an electric forge. You could leave the iron in the forge for an hour and it would never burn, it was at a set temp always.

You could get a solar panel from CanTire and hook it up to the forge, and Premier Snotly would love you.
Many moons ago, I toured the Western Rock Bit facility in Cowtown. They had a number of forged products being made there from trico-cone rock bit skanks to seismic drag bits to grab hooks for transport chain. The feedstock for the grab hook line was 1" bar about a foot long. The bars were fed one by one through the line. After sorting and aligning, the bars were grabbed by two lug things hooked to a large HF generator. It took roughly the same time to get from room temp to yellow forging heat as it took to run the part through a 4 stage progression, two bulk shaping blows, a final shape blow, then a flash removal. IIRC, it was about 5 seconds per hook.

My 100 Watt Canuck tire solar panels wouldn't heat anything to forge heat before it simply rusted away to nothing.

Last edited by camdigger; 10-30-2016 at 07:26 AM.
Old 10-30-2016, 12:09 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by camdigger View Post

My 100 Watt Canuck tire solar panels wouldn't heat anything to forge heat before it simply rusted away to nothing.
The electric forge we used that day was 3000 watts, and I have heard of 4500 watt setups. Once up to temp the heating time for steel was fast.

I was just kidding, all solar schemes are a joke to rip off the taxpayer.
The day will come when the Chinese make a realistic advance in this field but not yet.

When a liberal screams racism, you can bet they were also born with white skin.
“The word ‘racism’ is like ketchup. It can be put on practically anything — and demanding evidence makes you a ‘racist’.”
Thomas Sowell
Old 10-30-2016, 07:42 AM
Roving Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
The electric forge we used that day was 3000 watts, and I have heard of 4500 watt setups. Once up to temp the heating time for steel was fast.

I was just kidding, all solar schemes are a joke to rip off the taxpayer.
The day will come when the Chinese make a realistic advance in this field but not yet.
I am a bit surprised the power put for the electric forge you used was that low. I would have expected a bit higher. However, even at 3000 Watts, that mean either 220 V x 15 amp or 110 V x 30 amp power hookup. That kind of interferes with the amount of portability I am looking for.

BTW, I thoroughly agree with your assessment of solar power as an alternative for a replacement for grid hookup where the grid is available and the duration of the need is long enough to justify the hookup cost. Solar does make sense for my camping setup and for relatively temporary setups like traffic controls, monitoring systems for short life wells, and remote cabins.
Old 10-30-2016, 10:05 AM
Standard of Excellence

Andrew friend of mine has an induction forge. Nice piece of equipment, very fast, and it doesn't add all of the heat to the shop of the propane forge.
Old 11-15-2016, 07:42 PM
Roving Reporter

I understand that the end of the burner needs a flare. Some designs use crossover bells, but I suspect honey are far less than optimum.

I seem to recall a recommendation for a 15 degree inner taper in the flare.

It would be easy to turn a tapered mandrel in the lathe to form a flared nozzle.
Old 11-16-2016, 08:03 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
Andrew friend of mine has an induction forge. Nice piece of equipment, very fast, and it doesn't add all of the heat to the shop of the propane forge.

pictures at bottom of page
http://www.richieburnett.co.uk/indheat.html