Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 11-03-2016, 10:24 AM
Do I have a life?

Thumbs up Daughter's School Project: Trident

Daughter's School Project: Trident

My 15yo dot had a project for her Marine Sciences class that involved some kind of prop/artwork/demonstration item. Her assigned topic was Mythology and she figured she would concentrate on Poseidon. She asked me if we could create some kind of trident for her artwork. "No problem!" I said, "but YOU have to do the work but I'll help you..."

First, I had her draw the trident out to get an idea of scale. She didn't want to do a full size and I was OK with that. I would estimate the one we created was about 1/3 scale.

Using the drawing as a guide, she settled on some 3/8" square 6061 Al stock from the scrap pile. She then marked out the lengths of the tines and where the bends would be. I cut the pieces for her on the chop saw.

Using a tube clamped in a vise as a die, she heated the stock up with a propane torch as I held mild pressure on the stock until it bent with welding gloves and adjustable wrench on the end.

We ended up with a "U" shaped piece she then "sharpened" the tines of on the belt sander. She also prepped the pieces for welding. For obvious reasons, the tines are blunted so she doesn't get suspended for bringing a weapon to school!

Of course, there was an obligatory lesson (ie: teachable moment) on welding, the TIG welder and accessories and differences between MIG and TIG. As my kids learned early on the principles of electricity and she is getting an A in Honors Chemistry (ie: conductive, non-reactive, nobel shielding gases), the lesson didn't take long. We also talked about the safety aspect of the dangers of the arc and high heat. As the welds were limited, I opted to allow her to weld without a jacket or long sleeve shirt. No redness of the skin was noted afterwards.

She almost immediately took to GTAW welding and with minor guidance, did 95% of the welds to the trident as well as setting up the clamping and checking for square. I touched up a couple areas as we went but she learned quick and made very few errors such as overmelting of the stock.

The trident is a prop or I would have had the tines welded off the center tine/handle instead of the "U" we used. Even so, when her presentation is done, she wants to sharpen the tines to make it more "lethal"

PS: she painted the trident gold after the pic was taken.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tri1.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	136403   Click image for larger version

Name:	tri2.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	136404   Click image for larger version

Name:	tri3.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	136405   Click image for larger version

Name:	tri4.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	136406   Click image for larger version

Name:	tri5.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	136407  

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
HF 80 lunchbox w/tig
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...

Last edited by mccutter; 11-03-2016 at 10:42 AM.
Old 11-03-2016, 11:05 AM
Blast this!

A little crabby but where are the safety glasses while using the sander. She looks like a doll and I would hate for a Er trip.
Old 11-03-2016, 11:54 AM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

Quote:
Originally Posted by midmosandblasting View Post
A little crabby but where are the safety glasses while using the sander. She looks like a doll and I would hate for a Er trip.
Yeah, I noticed that right away as well. Also, bare arms and tig welding aluminum is not a real good idea--artificial tanning can hurt. If you establish a "safe" attitude at that age it'll stay with her for the rest of her life.

But kudos to you for leading her through the project. We really need more kids who are "hands on"--as far as I'm concerned making and doing things is still the backbone of a solid economy.

Did she actually do those welds? Pretty damn good for a beginner...

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?
Old 11-03-2016, 02:24 PM
One Lone Sub

Very cool mc. Good quality time.
Old 11-04-2016, 02:49 AM
Do I have a life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by midmosandblasting View Post
The only danger with the sander was the nuisance dust generated by it which safety glasses would not really protect from. Trust me, I AM very safety oriented and the kids have their OWN safety gear to wear. (son is 14) She knows to tie her hair back when using power tools. Thank you for your concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKeithR View Post
Yeah, I noticed that right away as well. Also, bare arms and tig welding aluminum is not a real good idea--artificial tanning can hurt. If you establish a "safe" attitude at that age it'll stay with her for the rest of her life.
I agree and I have those green arm thingies I should have had her slip on although total arc time was less than 2min. There was no skin redness then or today. Thank you for your concern as well.

Quote:
But kudos to you for leading her through the project. We really need more kids who are "hands on"--as far as I'm concerned making and doing things is still the backbone of a solid economy.
I'm trying to help both kids develop skills that will stay with them for the rest of their lives even though I want them to make a living with their brains. I believe mechanical aptitude is something learned but then maybe it is also something we are born with? Both have been in the shop doing stuff since they were 4 or 5.

Quote:
Did she actually do those welds? Pretty damn good for a beginner...
First I showed her the motions and had her do a dry run to get a feel the torch and filler in her hands. After that, I demoed for about 10 seconds (we both had helmets on) then handed her the torch and was quite pleased that she took right to it. She had never welded before! I advised over her shoulder here and there and stepped in to show her how to better blend the welds and "push" the puddle with electrons and emphasized how to go in hot and back down once the Al changed state. She only stirred the puddle once and that was a good opportunity to show her how to snap the fouled end off and re-sharpen the tungsten. But to answer your question: yes those are her welds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Very cool mc. Good quality time.
Yes, we both enjoyed it and she is very proud of her trident!

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
HF 80 lunchbox w/tig
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...
Old 11-04-2016, 08:29 AM
Elite Member

She did good, with a bit of low voltage wiring and LED lighting she can turn it into a LED reading lamp.
Old 11-04-2016, 02:26 PM

good Job.
Did she get extra points for the photos showing that she actually did the work?

Here in the Great White North
Mosquitoes can't fly at 40 below