Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Blacksmithing & Forming

SFT Search:   

Old 10-28-2016, 05:20 PM
Roving Reporter

Default Potential propane forge build.

I am interested in building a propane forge. I like the idea of being able to forge weld and the immediate heat propane would give over the slower smokier coal forge. Good smithing coal is hard to find hereabouts anyway.
I have been looking at designs for a while now. I looked at the Zoeller burner. I'm not sure I like the concentric air inlet. Thoughts?
Old 10-28-2016, 05:38 PM
Gadget Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by camdigger View Post
I am interested in building a propane forge. I like the idea of being able to forge weld and the immediate heat propane would give over the slower smokier coal forge. Good smithing coal is hard to find hereabouts anyway.
I have been looking at designs for a while now. I looked at the Zoeller burner. I'm not sure I like the concentric air inlet. Thoughts?
If you think propane or a gas forge is faster than coal forge I got nothing to say..

Go look at the fire starting on the straight poker video.. It's in one of the threads somewhere..

Gas forges are slow at heating anything but sheet metal..

If I defend myself I am attacked.

My meaningless thoughts are showing me a meaningless world.

My attack thoughts are attacking my invulnerability.

I'd like to think of something smart, but I don't want to hurt myself.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Another Johnson model J Project
Lathe? Maybe..... 1958 SBL 13"
Yeti Esseti Aka running welder on 3phase.

https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums...860#post766860
Old 10-28-2016, 07:57 PM
Roving Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by allessence View Post
If you think propane or a gas forge is faster than coal forge I got nothing to say..

Go look at the fire starting on the straight poker video.. It's in one of the threads somewhere..

Gas forges are slow at heating anything but sheet metal..

I've watched a few in action. POOF, and it is lit. No cranking a blower. Once tuned there is no fire care. And they use readily available fuel.

The fact that you had to post lessons on starting, caring for, and feeding a coal forge here was not lost on me. Good forging coal is hard to come by hereabouts.

Must be some merit to gas forges, every farrier around here uses a gas forge. Not a coal forge in sight in the day to day operations.

Besides, I have a coal forge already.
Old 10-28-2016, 08:46 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by camdigger View Post
Good forging coal is hard to come by hereabouts.
That's it in a nutshell. We have a thousand years supply of thermal coal here, but no coking coal. You can use thermal, but it is difficult, and the firebox must be deep to make sure the oxygen is consumed or have burned steel.

When a liberal screams racism, you can bet they were also born with white skin.
“The word ‘racism’ is like ketchup. It can be put on practically anything — and demanding evidence makes you a ‘racist’.”
Thomas Sowell
Old 10-28-2016, 11:13 PM
Elite Member

Check these wood forges out, their design doesn't look to complicated.

http://whitloxhomestead.com/
Old 10-29-2016, 03:22 AM
Standard of Excellence

I have always had trouble with wood forged. The wood seems to burn before it gets malleable, and it splinters when you smack it with a hammer. better off sticking with iron.

As far as forges, I used an lp forged. easy to light, and it can go anywhere in the shop. It is plenty hot enough to weld, but I almost never weld with it (way too slow a process). When I am doing forging for jobs, I generally cycle 6-10 pieces in the forged at the same time and I never have to wait for Ironwood to heat. It takes about 10 minutes to heat up. I use the Ron Riel style burners, never had an issue.
Old 10-29-2016, 06:12 AM
Gold Star Dad

Nice burner design: http://www.hybridburners.com/
Old 10-29-2016, 10:17 AM
Roving Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
I have always had trouble with wood forged. The wood seems to burn before it gets malleable, and it splinters when you smack it with a hammer. better off sticking with iron.

As far as forges, I used an lp forged. easy to light, and it can go anywhere in the shop. It is plenty hot enough to weld, but I almost never weld with it (way too slow a process). When I am doing forging for jobs, I generally cycle 6-10 pieces in the forged at the same time and I never have to wait for Ironwood to heat. It takes about 10 minutes to heat up. I use the Ron Riel style burners, never had an issue.
If I may ask, what size Reil burner do you use for what size chamber? Local farriers seem to use a pair of 3/4" burners for approximately 1 cu ft. A father of a friend uses a single 1/2" burner in a 6"x6"x10" chamber he claims will work for forging, but I have my doubts whether there is enough heat there to do a forge weld.

Welding capability would be nice, but only in that it would mean being able to make a laminated piece like the soft-hard-soft sandwich for blades or real fancy Damascus style laminates. Run of the mill welding is easier done by other processes, IMHO.
Old 10-29-2016, 10:33 AM
Standard of Excellence

I have 2. 3/4" burners in a 12" pipe pup 12" long. I have a, Kao wool liner, high temp brick (the soft white ones) bottom, and I brick up the front and back.

When I made mine, I drilled 1/8" pipe nipples for the orifices. I would be more inclined to use the might gun tips now, easier to change or adapter, easier to aim.

I have also run various regulators. I have found the best/cheapest is one I got from sportsmans. It is adjustable from 0 to 25+ psi, cost about $29, and is for a turkey fryer burner.
Old 10-29-2016, 10:52 AM
Roving Reporter

This father of a friend uses cast able refractory floor and some kind of high temp ceramic insulating board about 1 - 1 1/2" thick inside a 10 gage shell. He claims the board is more rugged and can be worked with woodworking tools. He claims to make several a year for the fundraiser auction his black smithing club holds.

IIRC, he gets the sheets of insulating board from some kind of ceramic supply or fireplace store in Cowtown.