Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 10-06-2016, 06:20 PM

12-29-1943 to 1-17-2020
Curmudgeon emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Eddy View Post
I will search for a used one. Most things I own were used so no fear there. Keep the info coming. Sent from my iPhone using SFT
Okay then, looks like this is a good time to re-issue the worm gear lube warning & tutorial.

Years ago a member who bought a used 4x6 happened to buy one with the bad oil/casting sand problem. Shortly after he started using it the blade stopped moving so he pulled the gearbox cover to discover chewed up gears; I don't remember whether it was the wormgear or the drive gear but he had to find & replace one or the other. This is not uncommon for this little saw but it is also not expensive to repair.

Since then I've tried to post the warning periodically, whenever this kind of discussion comes along.
This is not meant to scare you off buying one!
It is to advise you to open the gearbox & clean it out then replace the old oil with the correct kind. That applies to new or used.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"I am not a body, I am free.
For I am still as God created me."
Old 10-06-2016, 08:11 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutter View Post
It was a fluke & within a year the price gone up to $450.
The big advantage is the head swivels instead of having adjustable vise jaws & they're just more of a solid saw from the stand on up. You can also move the quick-release vise from left to right to accommodate swiveling the head to the left, etc.
It uses the same size inexpensive blade as the Harbor Freight.

Ironman has one. He might could help you locate a reasonably priced source.
Yes, I do, and I would definitely cough up the coin for a swiveling head saw.
Cutting a 20 ft stick into pieces with 45 degree angles calls for a large shop to swing that stick, unless you can swing the head. As Hyway said, you will junk that abrasive saw quick once you get a bandsaw.
I bought mine at Princess for $410, and quickly turfed my little 4x6 saw.
Busy Bee has them as well.
KMS has the King double swivel unit for about $750.
No bargains in the US now because of the dollar exchange and the shipping, so you got to go with what is here or get a used one.

A few years back I cut 4200 lb of steel into bits 28" long and 16" long for an ornamental fence. And I did it on one blade. I like my saw.

When a liberal screams racism, you can bet they were also born with white skin.
“The word ‘racism’ is like ketchup. It can be put on practically anything — and demanding evidence makes you a ‘racist’.”
Thomas Sowell
Old 10-06-2016, 11:06 PM
Elite Member

If your set on a floor model, I agree with the 7x12. I ended up getting one for $75 because the D.S.P.O. stripped the teeth off the worm gear. A quick search on Egay and I had a new set of gears on the way for about $100. My 4x6 quickly got donated to a buddy that needed it. The 4x6 is a big step up from an abrasive saw, but the 7x12 is Mo' better all the way around!
Old 10-07-2016, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
That small saw with pivoting head at $600 cdn seems like better value that the original 2.
Thanks!
I search used yesterday within a 1hr drive. Several large commercial unit (7x14) for $750. A Johnson and a Ridgid looked promising but would eat up a lot of precious space for occasional use. You guys got me thinking now though. Good thing is I'm not in any hurry.

Sent from my iPhone using SFT
Old 10-07-2016, 09:29 PM

12-29-1943 to 1-17-2020
Curmudgeon emeritus

Quote:
A Johnson and a Ridgid looked promising but would eat up a lot of precious space for occasional use.
You got that right about the Johnson. I really need to stir myself around and get rid of mine.
It was a fun project but I simply don't use it and it is hogging way too much floor space.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"I am not a body, I am free.
For I am still as God created me."
Old 10-07-2016, 09:44 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutter View Post
You got that right about the Johnson. I really need to stir myself around and get rid of mine. It was a fun project but I simply don't use it and it is hogging way too much floor space.
Road Trip coming up! And a secret SFT meeting. Lol

Brian

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 10-07-2016, 09:51 PM

Had my 7 X 12 for 18 years now had to fiddle with it a little when I got it then it would cut with in .003" in a 6" cut, paid just shy of 900 for it with free shipping , first 2 jobs that went thru it and it was paid for.
Old 10-08-2016, 10:38 AM
Elite Member

I have a Chinese version of a Femi saw by the lathe, I think I paid around $250 for it. It also comes with a variable speed knob and slow start. I wish it had just a tad more power to cut through heavier stock faster, it still beats a hack saw for accuracy and ease of cutting.

http://www.trick-tools.com/Femi_782X..._00_0_000_2209
Old 10-24-2016, 08:42 AM

Quote:
That small saw with pivoting head at $600 cdn seems like better value that the original 2.
Thanks!
I search used yesterday within a 1hr drive. Several large commercial unit (7x14) for $750. A Johnson and a Ridgid looked promising but would eat up a lot of precious space for occasional use. You guys got me thinking now though. Good thing is I'm not in any hurry.

Sent from my iPhone using SFT
I bought a very lightly used Busy Bee B013 on the weekend. $100. Not the swiveling head version, but should still do everything I need it to do and the entry fee was sufficiently low the CFO was fine.

It was NOT properly adjusted when it arrived home, but a couple tweaks and it's already running much better. I will heed the gear box advice.

Now I need to find a reasonable CDN source for bi-metal blades, and read up on what blades are best suited to which materials. I seem to recall some good commentary from Ironman a year or two back about numbers of teeth in the cut etc. when another member had asked. Will have to do a search and see if I can locate it.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:48 PM
Armchair Webbie

You need at least two teeth touching, so that as one tooth is leaving the cut, another one is on the edge of the material. Most books recommend at least three teeth, "In the cut." If not, the material being cut will fall into the gullets between the teeth and start ripping out teeth.

OUCH! I was just at the dentist a week ago for the same thing!

Dave