Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 06-21-2005, 10:37 AM
Banned

JT, I'll be the first to admit I have no damn desire to pound a machine 8 hours a day any more. I damn sure don't have any desire to drag even 100 feet of cable any more either. My business doesn't justify owning or operating the SA200 any more, and I damn well ain't goin lookin for work that will justify that machine at this stage of my life. For that reason, one damn fine Lincoln is for sale, so it won't sit in a field rusting up.
The machine deserves to be owned by a young fellow who will work it and make himself a good living, and I want to see it go to somebody who can and will use it. That's probably why it isn't on ePay for some speculator to make a buck off.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:51 AM

All this talk of justified and practicalities gives me a headache.

Marko do us all a favor and just buy Franz's machine.

Jeff
Old 06-21-2005, 11:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpill
All this talk of justified and practicalities gives me a headache.

Marko do us all a favor and just buy Franz's machine.

Jeff
Jeff, take 2 aspirins, and post in a few hours letting me know if the headache went away. Also send me $20- for the medicle advice. If you use PayPal make it $21- to cover the fee.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:10 PM

Earth to Bobcat owners, earth to Bobcat owners, do you read me?

You girls crack me up.

6 months straight????? Sorry but at my age I'm going to have to probably work another 20 years, Lord willing. And I've already worked over 25 years, I don't think 6 months straight is going to do much for me.

If you truly believe that these little 2 cylinder gas engines (which are really pretty nice motors) will output the same amount of work as a true industrial stationary diesel, then there is no sense continuing this conversation.

Have a day, over and out.

JTMcC.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:19 PM
Big Iron

Originally Posted by JTMcC.
Those 2 cylinder alternators are fine for people that don't know the difference, and they are just right for people who only weld every once in a while on junk iron, or people who need auxillary power generation with a bit of welding capability built in. But they are in the toy catagory for serious welding work. They are the "110 volt migs" of the engine drive class. Fine in their place, but very limited.

JTMcC.

After hauling a SAM-400 for 20 years, I would like to think I know the differnce.
I put lots of hours and lots of gas through that old horse.
Now I have a Ranger 305. It weghs 560lbs, not 2400
2cyl vs 6 cyl, 8 gallons of gas at night instead of 15
Still have my reemote and output gauges, and CV output
I can gouge with 5/16 carbons.
Runs 7018 real nice, the same for fluxcore and daulshield.
$ 3500.00 vs 9000 for a classic 300 D

If I were putting on a couple thousand hours per year I may think differently, but for now I am happy
Jeff
Old 06-21-2005, 02:53 PM
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to 7018

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTMcC.
Earth to Bobcat owners, earth to Bobcat owners, do you read me?

You girls crack me up.

6 months straight????? Sorry but at my age I'm going to have to probably work another 20 years, Lord willing. And I've already worked over 25 years, I don't think 6 months straight is going to do much for me.

If you truly believe that these little 2 cylinder gas engines (which are really pretty nice motors) will output the same amount of work as a true industrial stationary diesel, then there is no sense continuing this conversation.

Have a day, over and out.

JTMcC.
Now just why in the He!! do you think we're Pu$$ys because we run 2 cylinder welders,Just because you run a pipe liner doesn't make you the Cock of the walk,My Bobcat has made me alot of money,And it will make me alot more!!!!!!!It seems to me that you put alot of people down just over chit like this!!!!!!
Old 06-21-2005, 02:58 PM
North West Redneck

Well, I’ve pissed enough people off today, and I surly don’t want to piss any of you guys off, because I respect, and like you guys. Everybody here has their points. I personally think like JT says, when your running a machine damn near wide open for 10 to 12-hours a day, I know I want some reserve power. I can’t tell you how many times I was close enough to my old 55-D when I would strike an arc with over 400-amps dialed up, and I could hear the engine (4-cylinder diesel) just grown, the rpm’s would drop, then she would scratch her way back up to speed. I’m just not sure those 2-cylinders gas engines can take that day in and day out. I could be wrong, but it would be the first time.
Old 06-21-2005, 03:11 PM

Can't we all just hold hands and sing Kum-bah-yah?

Burning rods with an SA-200,
Jeff
Old 06-21-2005, 03:12 PM

After hauling a SAM-400 for 20 years, I would like to think I know the differnce.
I put lots of hours and lots of gas through that old horse.
Now I have a Ranger 305. It weghs 560lbs, not 2400
2cyl vs 6 cyl, 8 gallons of gas at night instead of 15
Still have my reemote and output gauges, and CV output
I can gouge with 5/16 carbons.
Runs 7018 real nice, the same for fluxcore and daulshield.
$ 3500.00 vs 9000 for a classic 300 D

If I were putting on a couple thousand hours per year I may think differently, but for now I am happy
Jeff[/QUOTE]

You guys are a defensive bunch aren't you? The output and duty cycle of those machines are in print for all to see, no need to argue what your machine will do. But, it won't do it all day every day year after year like a bigger industrial engine will, my take is just that simple. No more, no less.

JTMcC.
Old 06-21-2005, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7018
Now just why in the He!! do you think we're Pu$$ys because we run 2 cylinder welders,Just because you run a pipe liner doesn't make you the Cock of the walk,My Bobcat has made me alot of money,And it will make me alot more!!!!!!!It seems to me that you put alot of people down just over chit like this!!!!!!

Good grief man, go back and re read what I said. Nowhere is there anything even remotly related to what you imagined up in your mind.
I haven't put anyone down, I said simply that those 2 cyl. high rpm motors won't perform anywhere near the work of a true industrial motor. How you got from there to the somewhat vulgar comments you came up with is beyond me. Those machines are the 110 volt migs of the engine drive world. May be very usefull to you, may be just exactly what you need, if so then go head on brother. But they STILL won't put out the work, nor last as long as any of the gas or diesel engines in larger machines.
And I garantee you I never made any comment so entirely and increadibly stupid as to gage someones "manliness" by the type of welding machine they own, where do you come up with that trash????
Read what I wrote, if you don't understand it then ask for clarification, but don't dream up a bunch of crap I never said.

JTMcC.