Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Members Only > SFT Information

SFT Search:   

Old 11-27-2008, 02:34 PM

2-3-1940 to 3-8-2011
Nobody was faster

It's still early but the first sign here is if you park your truck out at night someone goes by the houses of the wealthy and gets gas from their truck and puts it in yours. Maybe you haven't heard about it.
Old 11-27-2008, 03:08 PM
from the land of fruits and nuts

That's wealth redistribution, and since the Obammmanannna has promised to appoint judges, with "empathy",,,, "understanding what its like to grow up poor and disadvantaged", gonna become a fact of life.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:28 AM
Blankee Master

We signed the deal on the new shop and have the keys now, we moved twice this year already so were getting pretty good at it lol. We have a month to move, so will do it bit by bit and depending on the workload in the shop what we will do here and what will go to the new shop.

The economy seems to get worse day by day. I hear more doom and gloom. I figure going to the new shop I can do everything indoors and streamline the whole operation, I know, high hopes.

My only added expense is a truck paint booth.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new shop.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	38433   Click image for larger version

Name:	new shop 2.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	38434   Click image for larger version

Name:	new shop 3.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	38435  
Old 12-02-2008, 06:02 PM
I can dig it

Nice looking shop BRG, should work well for you. Too bad you weren't a little closer, we've been looking for a bay to rent for winter to do some maintenance work, seems everything here that could be available is full of storage items.

My first season excavating has been good, with the exception that we have two accounts that aren't paid up....I suspect I'll be learning about the liens process shortly. I suspect the one will be good for it, but the other...well........let's just say I want to cover my ***,,,errr, rear.

Shortly being relative too I guess, I'm doing the required research right now, and will likely try to have them in place within the week.

I wonder if the finance company you're working with will do the same for excavating work...hmmmm
Old 12-02-2008, 06:32 PM
Blankee Master

We went through the lien process on a couple jobs a few years back, it really was not worth it. In the end it was alot of my time and energy plus some costs.
I am very careful with the credit now, I make sure the customer has money or is pre financed.

The next problem is doing alot of work for any one fleet, and they go belly up.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:45 PM
I can dig it

The worst one is a new house build....guy seemed decent enough, told us he was using a construction mortgage, which means the money comes in 'draws' as the work reaches various levels. Fair enough, we can work around that.

We told him up front that with the work he wanted/needed, we would be in the 15-20K range for everything. (Basement dug/backfilled, driveway in, septic, trenching for utilities, a lot of material that had to be brought in, plus a bunch of miscellaneous.)

When we got to a stage where everything was done except the septic, he wanted the bill brought up to date, total was about 8K. Upon seeing it, I think he went into sticker shock, even though the septic would only be another 5 or so, bringing his final tally up around 13K, well under what we had told him. He then confessed that he had only budgeted 2K for ALL earth work, including the septic. The darn tank is worth almost $1500 itself!!

I suspect that with the numbers he was trying to work with, that it might be up for sale before long.....hence getting the lien in asap on that one.
Old 12-06-2008, 02:03 PM
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to storts
Default To BRG And Greywynd

Big,Best of Luck,Real nice looking Building,like the fence on the right!!!!!!!! Things arent going gun hoe in the Old USA,, Big thing on what the auto market does,as so many small shops in Ct,depend on them!!!!!! Good Luck Again

Greywynd,Dont know how your laws are up there,But down here,,You better be first in line,,he who screams loadest usually makes out OK!!!!!!!!!!

Looking at your Prices,compared to here,,You would be the busiest Guy in Ct!!!!!!!! Best of Luck to ya,,get to be #1 in Line,,
Question??down here they send a rep from the bank out,and then cuts the check,i know thats the way with my constuction Loan,and Every one else I knew,So this wouldnt happem,sounds like they just give him a blank check book,,Id happen to stop at his bank,,Thats all Banks need now is bad Press,But your laws could be 100% different!!! Go get em!!!!!!!!

Last edited by storts; 12-06-2008 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Same-spelling
Old 12-06-2008, 03:36 PM
Woodshed

Greywynd. the construction loan that I have seen work where the house owner get the loan and each week or every two week the contractor send owner bill for work completed and owner send him check for the amount bill less 10% which is put into a special account for warrant and paid when job is completed and warranty time is up or at owner decide to pay it. I never heard of contractor getting loan. He might get loan to do work and you pay him the amount of contractor only even if he under bid work. The loan is to the contractor company and pay back is up to his company to pay back loan.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:35 AM
Blankee Master

We moved into the new shop over the weekend and just getting it up and running yesterday and today.

Building and property are working out real well. Hopefully 2009 there will be trucks to work on?????
Old 12-09-2008, 11:38 AM
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to storts
Default To Woodshead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodshed View Post
Greywynd. the construction loan that I have seen work where the house owner get the loan and each week or every two week the contractor send owner bill for work completed and owner send him check for the amount bill less 10% which is put into a special account for warrant and paid when job is completed and warranty time is up or at owner decide to pay it. I never heard of contractor getting loan. He might get loan to do work and you pay him the amount of contractor only even if he under bid work. The loan is to the contractor company and pay back is up to his company to pay back loan.

I forgot about the 10% escrow account that got tucked away,,thats when the real suits from the bank would do a walk thru,and have there Punch list!,, Smallest little things! would hold up the escrow account,,thats when you find the Genral contractor run like crazy,Unless your your own contractor!!! Then you run around like crazy!!!!!!!!