Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 05-31-2008, 01:31 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to markct
Default tractor supply vs harbor freight 36" brake

i bought a 36 inch brake from tractor supply, with the sale coupon and the tsc one was just a little more than the price with shipping from harbor freight, and i like being able to look at chinese tools before buying so thats why i went with the tractor supply one which is a clark brand for what thats worth. well got it home put it together, did the modifications needed for the back adjustment guides. tried it out, works great, very pleased for the money. i was just curious tho, i see harbor freight lists there 36 inch brake as 107 lbs weight, and the manual with mine says its 163 lbs. so is the tractor supply brake have a bit heavier metal in places, or extra reinforcing? never saw a harbor freight one in person so was just wondering
Old 05-31-2008, 03:37 PM
Elite Member

Send a message via AIM to Team DeSade

Sorry, not a clue on the questions.

So what kind of capacity do you think you'll be able to bend with it? Is this the 3 in 1 with the slip roll, shear and brake?
Old 05-31-2008, 07:19 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to markct

well the biggest i tried so far was some .030 stainless, the full 36 inch length, it did pretty good, about all ya could comftorably bend without extentions on the handles tho, but nice and straight and even, just a very slight bit larger radious in the middle, but not bad at all, might even be able to do better by tentioning the trusses up tighter possibly. but i am very pleased, i bought it to bend some aluminum and light gauge stainless for different items associated with my maple sugarhouse i am setting up.
Old 05-31-2008, 11:06 PM
Armchair Webbie

You'd have to post a picture of the brake for us to tell. I've seen the HF brake up close but, not the TSC one.

Dave
Old 06-01-2008, 01:30 AM
Harbor Freight Backslider

I've seen them both, also the Northern tool, and Wholesale tool versions. To me they look pretty much the same.

How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of.
???'?? ???'?
Old 06-01-2008, 06:13 AM
Lord of the Minions

I don't want this to sound negative in any way concerning the use of or buying these imports, but if you start trying to use extensions to bend heavier gage or harder materials, you'll quickly find out the limitations of the imported irons qualities.

If used to their limits or just under what you know it will do, it would probably give you a good lifetime of use.

As far as the weights being different, one may have more bracing or added parts, or some of the frame members are just beefier. Just how much does 2 quarts of dried lead based primer and lead based top coat weigh any how.

Heavy is not always a good thing, but in this case it seems it would be.

Pics? You bought a break, tried it out and didn't take pics?

LW