Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Members Only > SFT Information

SFT Search:   

Old 10-31-2006, 06:50 AM
North West Redneck

Here you go Rod, just fer you!

You need to buy these two books!

But until you get around it, print this off and give it a try.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pipe book 2.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	17074   Click image for larger version

Name:	pg 1.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	17075   Click image for larger version

Name:	pg 2.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	17076   Click image for larger version

Name:	pg 3.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	17077  

I’m neither a professional or certified weldor! :evil:
Old 10-31-2006, 07:08 AM
Yes girls, he's single!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyGuy
Thanks fer the info on the pipe test Chris...I was wondering if ya could use a premade template or not and now I know. As far as buying my way into the 798...HELL NO!!!...I refuse to buy my way into anything....If I get in anywhere it will be based on what I CAN DO..I believe that you should earn yer way into it and not just take the easy way in. Besides the 798 is not the only Union I'm looking at. I have been looking at the Steamfitters and Boilermakers Union as well...I already know I can get in with them but it aint exactly pipeline welding...and pipeline welding is what I REALLY want to do.

Take it easy,
Rod
I do both trades, and I much prefer pipelining. Crawling around rafters in a building is hard on this old man. I've been piping a new Taco Bell restaurant recently at night. I was missing 1 90° fitting, and the tile guys started the next morning. Waiting til I can get back in to weld that last turn down to the grill area.

As far as buying your way in, you still have to test to qualify.
Life is not a journey to the grave, with the intention of arriving safely, in one pretty and well-preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and shouting WOW...what a ride
Old 10-31-2006, 07:20 AM
Yes girls, he's single!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pile Buck
Here you go Rod, just fer you!

You need to buy these two books!

But until you get around it, print this off and give it a try.
A lot of gas companies will make you do a practice weld first, just to see if you can do it, and then they want you to make another one for testing. I hate that sheet. When they called me in to Memphis years ago, they had gone thru 15 weldors, and I had one day to make 2 tees, and 2 butt welds. Talk about working my behind off that day. I didn't have a template, and had to mark both tees out with the contour marker as quickly as possible.
Life is not a journey to the grave, with the intention of arriving safely, in one pretty and well-preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and shouting WOW...what a ride
Old 10-31-2006, 07:28 AM
North West Redneck

Here dust off that wallet of yours, and break out the plastic! :evil:

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sear...+Handbook&x=29

http://www.amazon.com/Pipe-Fitters-B.../dp/0970832125

Old 11-02-2006, 06:40 AM
North West Redneck

Hey Rod check out this site. WelderDan on Miller posted it. I think you’ll really enjoy the pictures, I did!

http://www.perform53.com/

Old 11-02-2006, 01:41 PM
Lord of the Reins

Hi Rod! Always good to hear what you are up to. If you are going to take a union test you might consider taking a crash pipe welding course to hone your skills. The last school I attended in Vermont will take you for a day, a week or whatever you need. As long as they have an empty booth. (Their main courses are trade welding courses that last many weeks. But once the courses begin they will take short timers as long as there is a booth to fill.) The class size is limited to 10 students, so you can get some very good one on one with the instructors. If you are like me, you can practice forever and still struggle because you are practicing the same mistakes over and over. But once you are shown the correct way you suddenly get it.

If time or funds are short, you may also consider some additional reading material. The welding school gave me a pipe welding workbook published by the Hobart Institute. (At the school they have video that backs it up.) The book I used was Shieldd Metal Arc Welding Pipe (uphill). EW-269 SMAWPU. There is also a downhill book, EW-269 SMAWPD.

You can get either the books or video from The Hobart Institute The Hobart books have a lot more pictures and diagrams than the Hoobasar Rampaul book (Pipe Welding Procedures) and I would say a lot more helpful too.

The school is Advanced Welding Institute and I highly recommend it. Either for a beginning student or an experienced weldor that needs to qualify.

Your dually should be fine. Most of the weldor's I have worked with were fitter/weldor's and all had welding beds on their trucks. In more recent years our welding contractor has brought pipeliner's in from Texas during plant turnarounds. Most of them used pickup beds.

It's just my guess that's because the fitter's have to carry a lot more tooling with them. Since one job may require them to weld different size pipe, make structural brackets, pipe shoes...etc, and use more than one welding process with several filler metals, and fabricate plate. Then once the job is done and if they have a good work attitude, the company may ask them to stay on and do some honey-do's that have been put off around the plant.

I think pipeliner's are required to carry less on their truck since they are basicly making the same weld on the same pipe for miles. If the need arises for specialty tooling, the primary contractor probably has it available. Plus I got the impression that these guys traded their trucks frequently enough that it just wasn't worth it to be switching beds.

You can expect to take good natured crap and friendly advice about your little blue welder. But you don't need to make excuses for it and it will weld good enough to pass any test as long as you have the skill. I would let it pay for itself, and that shouldn't take long. Then if you want a heavier machine you will have a lot better opportunity for good used equipment once you are on the inside of the biz. Or have a better idea of what you need if you want to shop new.