Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 07-24-2019, 10:42 AM
Something's Fishy ...

I have repaired a lot of these machines From little pin welders used to hold sound deadening insulation to HVAC ducting to power supplies that put out 1600 amps to run a machine like yours.

They were used to weld "pins" up to 1" in diameter to structural steel in multi story buildings ,bridges and overpasses. the weld was through up to 2 layers of Q decking into the steel beams. The weld cycle was under 1.25 seconds for a full weld.

These pins attached the concrete part of the structure to the steel structure.
The idea was that the structure would remain standing in an earthquake 2 orders of magnitude greater than a solid connected structure because the pins would shear and allow the concrete to move without causing the steel to fail.

After the earthquake the structure was destroyed but at least it had not fallen into a pile of rubble and dead bodies.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:55 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

My experience with them was welding brackets on the Balfour ferry when the Great Asbestos Scare was on, and I was 29. I was below deck following behind the removal crew, welding brackets for something and I was followed by a guy welding pins to hold new insulation, his stud welder was powered by a SA-200, as was every electrode holder onsite. That was the first and last time I saw one being used.

Never was curious enough to know the brand or the amperage, but for pins or small studs it has to be low. I think the guy who bought your tool did not know it was for sheet metal.

"I must abide by my core values, my ethical responsibilities and constitutional obligations. There can be a cost to acting on one’s principles, but there is a bigger cost to abandoning them.” Jane Philpott
Old 07-24-2019, 11:05 AM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdischar View Post

I hope someone can too. I can usually find manuals online but this companys email response was almost downright rude......

ERICO has not been in the stud welding business for 30+ years. We no longer makes or supports Blue Arc Stud welding products. We have no drawings, data sheets or information on the products in existence.
Quote:
How many volts DC do I need to supply. I can build a capacitor bank to handle the amps. I told them I would build one but they jumped the gun (no pun intended) on me. I have not yet disasembled the unit but the gun is the most critical part; right?
Thanks,

Russ D.
They weren't being rude.

You need to buy one for your needs, and from one that is still supported.
Old 07-27-2019, 09:45 AM
SFT Historian

Quote:
Thanks Scotts,
How many volts DC do I need to supply. I can build a capacitor bank to handle the amps. I told them I would build one but they jumped the gun (no pun intended) on me. I have not yet disasembled the unit but the gun is the most critical part; right?
Thanks,

Russ D.
I would guess an old transformer power supply that had a low OCV that was somewhat safe.
I would assume the old gun may not be safe used with a capacitor bank.

Look for a patent and you will likely find a schematic.

Capacitor Bank?
The attachment should give you an Idea, but BUT safety being an issue if every Joe-blow is operating it ...... you should pass if you have an OCV that can kill someone from horse play.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf kst-9_kst-10.pdf (109.3 KB, 15 views)