Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 08-06-2019, 08:58 PM
Elite Member

My two Kennedys are both OLD. :-) The most recent one is well over 20 years, bought used from a local "tool collector" , the other bought new in about 1955 when I was an electronic technician, for the kind of tools we used in those days. :-) As I remember it was about $80. even in those days. BUT they are both still in practically new condition. I did add a pair of handles to the second one to make it possible to carry when loaded. :-) both are the 7 drawer type
...lew...
Old 08-07-2019, 06:46 PM
Armchair Webbie

When I started my very informal apprenticeship, I looked at the Kennedy boxes because everybody in the shop had them. Just too expensive. I added up the square inches and a 10 drawer Craftsman mechanics box was a lot bigger and cheaper.

I lined the drawers with nice green felt myself. Got the felt, spray glued it to poster board and cut to fit. I applied it to the drawers with double faced carpet tape. Each drawer consisted of 5 pieces of felt. Looked really professional, if I do say so. Only took a Saturday to do it.

It's a nice sturdy box with ball bearing glides and metal handles. I also replaced the cheap lock with a tubular key type. The drawers are a lot deeper but, some of the upper ones are a little too deep. I don't like my mics piled on top of each other. Some day, I might put wooden filler pieces in the bottom of a few of them. Felt covered of course.

Dave
Old 08-07-2019, 08:53 PM

Hi,
LOL!

A Kennedy tool box, is what all others are judged by!

Been that way for decades!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aa.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	151733  
May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
Old 08-09-2019, 09:42 AM
Elite Member

Maybe decades ago, but not anymore. I have both and haven't been greatly impressed by the Kennedy.
Old 08-09-2019, 02:14 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagiant View Post
Hi,

LOL!

A Kennedy tool box, is what all others are judged by!

Been that way for decades!

True, but today some of the cheaper boxes available at the big box stores are vastly better with their ball bearing slides on the drawers.

I bought a three piece Kennedy tool box and I like the small drawers for machinist tools, but I wish it had ball bearing slides. I find I usually shut the drawers so fast and due to the friction of the old slides, everything slides around in the rest of the tool box. Someday I will be making some drawer dividers/ tool organization pieces to keep the tools in their place.

I have thought about changing some of the drawers to ball bearings slides too, but need to find some that I can make fit.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 08-09-2019, 02:34 PM
The Real Deal

I can't bitch about the slides, I have a Waterloo roller with upper with the same slides and have had it for over 50 years and never had any trouble with them.