Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 11-14-2019, 08:18 PM
Standard of Excellence

Default Cement mixer score

I had borrowed a friend's 9cf mixer when I was remodeling my front entry and casting new steps. Ended up making about 4 yards total. I found it to be much better than my little mixer. I had been looking for a 9cf on CL. Used they are typically listed for $1600 or so.
Today I found one listed for $150. It was an hour out into the boonies, and has bad pinion bearings. The guy bought it used and didn't know it was pooched until he tried to use it.
It appears that whomever had it prior had the pinion bearing go bad. So instead of replacing a $15 bearing, they pulled the spacer out from under the drum to get the drum closer to the pinion. It also has the wrong pulley on the engine. The drum has been beat with a hammer a bunch too. The wheels that are on it are from a junkyard car from the 80s and they are mounted backward, or in side out.

I have a little bit more concrete work here then it will go up to my cabin for footings in the spring.

Not a bad deal for the price plus the bit of labor to repair. I'll post back when I get time to fix it.Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0170.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	193.2 KB
ID:	153044

Sent from my E6810 using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
Old 11-14-2019, 08:36 PM
The Real Deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
I had borrowed a friend's 9cf mixer when I was remodeling my front entry and casting new steps. Ended up making about 4 yards total. I found it to be much better than my little mixer. I had been looking for a 9cf on CL. Used they are typically listed for $1600 or so.
Today I found one listed for $150. It was an hour out into the boonies, and has bad pinion bearings. The guy bought it used and didn't know it was pooched until he tried to use it.
It appears that whomever had it prior had the pinion bearing go bad. So instead of replacing a $15 bearing, they pulled the spacer out from under the drum to get the drum closer to the pinion. It also has the wrong pulley on the engine. The drum has been beat with a hammer a bunch too. The wheels that are on it are from a junkyard car from the 80s and they are mounted backward, or in side out.

I have a little bit more concrete work here then it will go up to my cabin for footings in the spring.

Not a bad deal for the price plus the bit of labor to repair. I'll post back when I get time to fix it.Attachment 153044

Nice I used to use mine for cleaning steel parts before assembly.
Old 11-21-2019, 09:07 PM
Standard of Excellence

The parts came in for my mixer repair. The pinion bearings were wrong, but I happened to have the right ones in my tool box. They are the same bearings that were in it, but it looks like the pinion is from a different machine. I had to turn down the pinion shaft to get rid of the buggers all over it. Only took a thousandth off the original diameter. Now all the bearings will go on. To fit the old bearing they cut a piece of tube and stuffed it in there. Very sloppy fit.

Next I turned down the spindle for the same reason. There is a gouge in the threads where it got welded to the frame. The shaft seems like it is made of 1018, turned very nice and easy. I am debating welding up the groove of not. The nut doesn't go up as far as the gouge. The gouge diameter is 1.25 at is smallest and the threads minor diameter is 1.30. would it be weaker if I welded it, or if I left it?
Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0189.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	203.4 KB
ID:	153121Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0191.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	206.6 KB
ID:	153122

Old 11-22-2019, 06:33 PM
Administrator

Well, if my engineer mind is thinking right, if the weld is done properly with correct preheat, if required for that material, which is probably not known exactly what it is, and correct heat input while welding, post heat treatments if required, it would be stronger than originally made. But with all the unknowns, I would just let it go, and not worry about the it. To weld it is probably just more a cosmetic fix than anything, would be my guess.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 11-22-2019, 06:43 PM
Auction Addict

I'd leave the gouge and use it as is.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
Old 11-22-2019, 10:12 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
I'd leave the gouge and use it as is.
yes.
That's a good score, Andy If you have to mix conc, it's better to go big. I just hope I never have to.

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson
Old 12-02-2019, 09:09 AM
Standard of Excellence

The mixer is back together, however it runs too fast. It will run at 20rpm at idle, but if I bump the throttle up at all it just spins way too fast. To my thinking, 20 rpm at between at maybe 3/4 throttle would be about right. So I basically need to reduce the speed by half. The motor side pulley is as small as I can get. The driven pulley is about 13”. According to my calculations a 24 inch pulley would be ideal, but I can’t find one for a reasonable price. I can get an 18” for about 70 bucks. The other option is to build a jackshaft. It is about the same price as buying the 18” pulley.

So, which system would be the preferred for reducing speed?
Old 12-02-2019, 11:38 AM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
The mixer is back together, however it runs too fast. It will run at 20rpm at idle, but if I bump the throttle up at all it just spins way too fast. To my thinking, 20 rpm at between at maybe 3/4 throttle would be about right. So I basically need to reduce the speed by half. The motor side pulley is as small as I can get. The driven pulley is about 13”. According to my calculations a 24 inch pulley would be ideal, but I can’t find one for a reasonable price. I can get an 18” for about 70 bucks. The other option is to build a jackshaft. It is about the same price as buying the 18” pulley.

So, which system would be the preferred for reducing speed?
Is 20 rpm the right speed for mixing? If so, just mix at idle. Typical rpm is 15 for mixing.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
Old 12-02-2019, 01:53 PM
The Real Deal

I might have a gear reduction you could have, I will take a look but shipping might be a issue.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:46 AM
Elite Member

I believe I have a big pulley from a band saw, i'll check in a bit and post back.