Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 03-10-2019, 12:29 PM
Elite Member

Default Ford 400 Rebuild Saga, Strange Lifter

I have been trying to assemble this engine since getting it back from the shop that did the machine work four weeks ago. For numerous reasons, most of which were beyond my control I have only managed to install the crankshaft and eight pistons. Again it has taken four weeks to do this!

The latest and by far the most dramatic episode in this saga began when fitting the rocker arms and setting preload. The camshaft and lifters were purchased from Crower. According to the instruction booklet supplied with the camshaft there should be a gap of .030"-0.50" between the top of the pushrod seat and the retaining snap clip when the proper preload is applied.

When examining the new lifters in hand I discovered there is already a gap of .084" between the top of the pushrod seat and the retaining clip. Adding an additional .030" would increase the gap to .114". That is .064" more than the specified maximum gap.

Aren't energy consumption and computers supposed to make life less stressful?

If you are not having fun then you are doing it wrong.
Old 03-10-2019, 12:51 PM
Elite Member

I talked to a representative from Crower on the phone. Simply put what the tech at Crower is telling me is not at all what is written in the instruction booklet. The tech says the pushrod seat can be changed to accommodate different pushrod diameters for a given lifter. Have you ever heard of such a thing? The extra clearance (.084") between the pushrod seat and retaining clip is there to accommodate the different pushrod seats. Why then is this not mentioned in the instruction booklet? If the clearance is different for the various diameter pushrods then there should be a chart showing the pushrod diameter and the seat - clip clearance that applies to that size rod. The clearance of 0.20"-0.50" does not apply to all of their lifters.

The tech on the phone wants me to simply add .030" preload to the 0 lash condition. When I questioned him about the discrepancy the first time he diverted. When I questioned him again he cut me short and asked if there is anything else he can help me with. Either the tech is wrong or the instructions are wrong.

Old 03-10-2019, 07:10 PM
Post Fiend

Is this a solid, roller or hydraulic lifter?
Old 03-10-2019, 08:47 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinDodge View Post
Is this a solid, roller or hydraulic lifter?
Perhaps a picture will help, if it is up side up.

Notice the gap between the seat and retaining clip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	177.0 KB
ID:	149853  

Old 03-10-2019, 08:58 PM
Elite Member

A picture with the seat contacting the retaining clip. The lifter is on its side because gravity will force the seat away from the clip if placed upright.

If the lifter is shaken by hand the sound of the seat slapping about can be heard by anyone with normal hearing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	172.8 KB
ID:	149854  

Old 03-10-2019, 09:04 PM

It looks to me like the pushrod seat just has a step in it that is throwing you off. Compress the lifter some by hand an you should be able to see a gap emerge between the bottom of the clip and the top outer part of the seat. That is the area they are wanting to see .030"-.050" of preload.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:50 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Zach View Post
It looks to me like the pushrod seat just has a step in it that is throwing you off. Compress the lifter some by hand an you should be able to see a gap emerge between the bottom of the clip and the top outer part of the seat. That is the area they are wanting to see .030"-.050" of preload.
I considered this when I first discovered the condition. The "outer part" you mention does not move. Only the smaller inner seat moves when force is applied.

Old 03-10-2019, 09:56 PM
I can dig it

And it moves back out when the oil pressure is going through the lifter.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
Old 03-10-2019, 10:07 PM

I only have a GM lifter here for reference but it should be similar.

The inner part is free floating (gm one has less range of motion compared to yours) and the outer plunger is spring loaded.

If the lifter is full of oil it may be difficult to compress but it should move down off of the clip. On this lifter the plunger moves >.125" down from the clip
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2356.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	189.6 KB
ID:	149855   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2355.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	188.5 KB
ID:	149856   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2358.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	190.4 KB
ID:	149857  
Old 03-10-2019, 10:37 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywynd View Post
And it moves back out when the oil pressure is going through the lifter.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
Yes, when I applied air pressure to the inlet hole the seat was forced to the retaining clip.