Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 03-09-2019, 09:38 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Default 08 Ford F250 Bumper repaint project color mach secondary color

Well, I'm going to be doing this repaint of the front and back bumpers on an 08 F250 super duty... to match the secondary tone color... of course, it will stand out considering the age of the original colors and the repaint being fresh new paint. Will be cheap scathing it due to customer request of the type of paint.
something LkeithR mentioned in an earlier post ... about customers wanting to go cheap when it should not be penny pinched on...

But still, is not a cheap paint by means of cost... paint and materials are a bit over 400 bucks alone for this small project.

Original color is off by a shade or two hard to tell but also a screw up in the way they went base coat clear coat... and well their bumpers!
So bad choice of prosses and in the paint, JIMO...

So here is where "primers" are important a basic primer which what most people will use or maybe even a high fill primer both would be an incorrect choice... due to adhesion and it being bumpers and the paint that will remain under the new paint.

In order to be sure there will be no bleedthrough or color shadowing and chemical reaction to existing original paint will be removed by wet sanding as much of the old paint as possible...

Then Once prepped for a self-etching, non-sandable primer sealer in a urethane base to seal off the bare metal spots and old paint then I will seal it once again with a straight sandable urethane primer sealer...

Once the sanding is done "paint prep work" then I will use clean not static white cleaning cloths to clean with a final wash solvent till the rag shows no sign of picking up any leftover colors or dirt/sanding dust... and most importantly any oils left behind from your hand or other hands touching it when you back was turned.. That will cause Fish eyes in your paint...

Then I will be mixing the color to be sprayed...which will be a "synthetic acrylic enamel"... single stage automotive paint. epoxy and Emeron will just chip like glass with the first little rock that hits it so choose you paints wisely.

Pryor to shooting the color I will tac-rag it. a tack rag or tack cloth is a cheese type cloth that will pick up any lingering dust particles that can and will screw up a paint job!
Now, spray guns make a huge difference, I will be using a SATAjet 4000B with a 1.4 tip for the color and using an Iwata LPH 400 for the primer coats...

Although if this were my project being my rid ain't so nice LOL! id be using my old rinky-dink Binks HP can gun... because it wouldn't matter considering id just want to be covering the uglies up some...

Also another FYI if any of this interest anyone another trick when wet sanding to give your expensive wet/dry sandpaper more life and use much less of it is to use a can or water bucket of an appropriate size for you to handle like a half gallon container and add just enough dawn dish liquid to it to be just enough soap you can feel it's not just water say like two bottle caps full for a half gallon or even a gallon of water... this also helps clean and remove the oils off your hands while wet sanding then you can wash it away easily.

so here are some pics to start with and others may come slow considering I'm still hobbling along some...and still, have much more sanding to do plus I will be painting the bumpers while still on the truck so lots of masking off time and work for that as well...
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0295.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	194.8 KB
ID:	149798Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0297.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	201.4 KB
ID:	149799Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0298.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	183.1 KB
ID:	149800Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0299.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	201.3 KB
ID:	149801

I Have Only One Wish, To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!
Old 03-12-2019, 12:47 AM
Lubrication Consultant

The only thing accomplished today is run and pick up a special color mix of some Nason brand paint product 2K a light-based primer... that had to be lightened to half it's Color shade.
But bad weather conditions here so not much can be done...

The Sealer is going to be a special shade mix as well but it had to be ordered as they could not mix or lighten in store... plus I'm going to coat it "WithOut" the use of a spray gun to save from having to clean the spray gun... WIll be using a disposable aerosol applicator for spot painting...

Name:	DSCN0301.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	182.3 KB
ID:	149878Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0302.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	193.0 KB
ID:	149879

Last edited by MetalWolf; 03-12-2019 at 12:56 AM.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:24 AM
Master Procrastinator

I'd 'rattle-can' the whole project and call it good.

Pray like everything depends on God, and work like everything depends on you.
Old 03-12-2019, 02:01 PM
Something's Fishy ...

A little salt and you get natures natural ford color.

I had a boo boo with my truck a couple of years back requiring a new fender bumper ect.
I bought paint by the color # in the glove box. it cost as much as the new parts but about 5 min with the paint gun and the job was perfect no bugs no runs far easier to apply yhan the acrylics from the past.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:07 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry lingle View Post
A little salt and you get natures natural ford color.

I had a boo boo with my truck a couple of years back requiring a new fender bumper ect.
I bought paint by the color # in the glove box. it cost as much as the new parts but about 5 min with the paint gun and the job was perfect no bugs no runs far easier to apply yhan the acrylics from the past.
Yeah, I wish it were that easy... Id do em all day long... "NOT" I don't enjoy painting as much now as I once use to...it become a foul word "WORK"

I do however hate to say this but yeah I can and will give someone what they pay for... If they want RattleCrap can paint work I can do that or a custom paint job that takes 5-week... don't matter to me one way or the other but they will get only what they pay for...

But, I did, however, get the rear bumper Primed Uro Primer base in a fugly yellowish to keep from having to use the recommended black or dark gray primer.
Then I used a full cryl uro sealer in an almost lightened almond color close enough for getting the color coat to look aged like the factory gold two-tone color... there are other agents to achieve and ways to blend it... but cost a considerable bit more but this will do the same just cheaper... with no doubt better results...

Although I did get a Run in the sealer coat Cause Someone Jinxed me by mentioning "Runs" in another thread...don't wanna mention no names, Gerry. JK. wit ya...
But it's all good a little sanding and spot finish with the sealer it bees all gone ain't nutin but a chicken wing...

Had to stop and will wait till tomorrow as the winds picked up to bad to paint
SO I have to work around conditions just another day the guy will have to sit and stew because he won't get his truck back a week before the agreed upon date...

Name:	DSCN0304.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	189.6 KB
ID:	149901Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0306.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	253.1 KB
ID:	149902Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0307.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	175.3 KB
ID:	149903Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0305.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	268.1 KB
ID:	149904

Old 03-13-2019, 11:02 AM
The Real Deal

Those are some mighty fine looken bumpers!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-13-2019, 12:59 PM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

A friend used to buy auction cars and repaint a door/fender/ etc.
Not the whole car.

He would not use the paint code, as the color has faded.

He simply unbolted the gas door, and carried that to the paint
store, let them scan it, and make up a custom quart/pint.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:12 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
A friend used to buy auction cars and repaint a door/fender/ etc.
Not the whole car.

He would not use the paint code, as the color has faded.

He simply unbolted the gas door, and carried that to the paint
store, let them scan it, and make up a custom quart/pint.
That Is exactly what I do... But I can also tweak it a bit. to be a more suitable color match, by Using the Paint code and use of the paint scan... and then tweak it from there, the choice of primer or sealer color used.

But, no matter how close the match even with the use of a fading agent. It will look as is, freshly painted. so it will stand out compared to the rest. especially, to the eye's that know.

Last edited by MetalWolf; 03-14-2019 at 08:03 AM.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:27 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by digr View Post
Those are some mighty fine looken bumpers!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks' Digr. I believe they are ranch hand bumpers... a bit of a pain in the rear regional area to paint while on the truck. And are a bit heavy to manage by myself off the truck... and the risk of buggering them up after being painted while putting them back on, so my option was to paint them on the truck...

Just a little more, and one more day of fair weather. and I'll shoot this truck... I mean the bumpers

Had a couple more runs, In the front... in the sealer coat. no big deal sand em out and go on with the rest of the job...
Sanded and resealed the back bumper today as well, didn't like a couple of spots in it...

So, now to have tomorrow to finish up all the final prep, and then paint them.

Name:	DSCN0314.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	196.1 KB
ID:	149925Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0313.jpg
Size:	194.3 KB
ID:	149926Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0316.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	198.0 KB
ID:	149927Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0311.jpg
Size:	184.5 KB
ID:	149928Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0312.jpg
Size:	178.1 KB
ID:	149929

Last edited by MetalWolf; 03-13-2019 at 09:36 PM.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:01 AM
Lubrication Consultant

Well, my work is cut out for me today... No sleep, so I'm just about dog ass tired.
Then, matters became worse. and the stress level hit the high's when the rain storms rolled in here, around 2 AM and not just one, but again at 5:15...
Again. dumping only about enough, hard rain to mess up my tape off work.
"paper, tape off"

So life today. Is a bit of a bummer... was really hoping to shoot the color this morning.