Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 03-04-2019, 08:39 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnmike View Post
I'm not familiar with bang good.tell me about it?
Here is a link you can browse.

You want a friend in Washington? Get a dog.
Harry S. Truman
Old 03-04-2019, 09:43 PM
Da Chief

OK, this looks like a good place to ask a dumb question.

Is it possible to parallel 2 inverters, off the same or different battery systems?

What I'm trying to accomplish is added 120 VAC available on the tow/responder rig, for things like laptops, TV's, battery chargers, cordless drill's, rechargeable lights, cell phones, radio's, Etc. When All the onboard generator power is in use, and fully loaded with stationary tools or other useful gear. (think, a surface mount tap strip, powered from the aux batteries on the tow vehicle, charged from the truck alternator)

I added 2 950 AH batteries to the tow rig for use when boondocking with the 5th wheel trailer, to supplement the house batteries in the trailer.

They are charged from the truck alternator, thru an isolator. The ability to supply additional 120 VAC for recharging personal electronics when needed would be a welcome addition under emergency conditions.

Thanks,
RED

What I really need to know is, WHEN DOES THE SHOOTING START?
Old 03-04-2019, 10:00 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED caddy View Post
OK, this looks like a good place to ask a dumb question.

Is it possible to parallel 2 inverters, off the same or different battery systems?

What I'm trying to accomplish is added 120 VAC available on the tow/responder rig, for things like laptops, TV's, battery chargers, cordless drill's, rechargeable lights, cell phones, radio's, Etc. When All the onboard generator power is in use, and fully loaded with stationary tools or other useful gear. (think, a surface mount tap strip, powered from the aux batteries on the tow vehicle, charged from the truck alternator)

I added 2 950 AH batteries to the tow rig for use when boondocking with the 5th wheel trailer, to supplement the house batteries in the trailer.

They are charged from the truck alternator, thru an isolator. The ability to supply additional 120 VAC for recharging personal electronics when needed would be a welcome addition under emergency conditions.

Thanks,
RED
That I am not sure of. it might jeopardize the alternator trying to pull two inverters.... go with a single 12V to a 220v inverter and step it down.
and you should be able to get everything you need out of one. can be stepped down by either opening the inverter and pulling separate legs off the original outlet or pigtail plugs and split the legs that way.

I Have Only One Wish, To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!
Old 03-04-2019, 10:12 PM
Auction Addict

What size alternator (amps)?

You want a friend in Washington? Get a dog.
Harry S. Truman
Old 03-05-2019, 07:38 AM
Da Chief

Isuzu manual say's 140 amp, 4 cyl. turbo diesel.

RED

Old 03-05-2019, 12:26 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Isuzu manual say's 140 amp, 4 cyl. turbo diesel.

RED
But what all, does, the 140 alt. have running now, it's having to produce other than, a normal load for??
If you are pulling nothing more than its normal load I'd say you could get away with it on the two inverters but you know you should always exceed the inverter power range, In other words, if you need 500-watt inverter you should run an 800-watt inverter. and for something like a small compressor, I would triple that.
That's just my 2 cents worth is all. but be aware, as my wife always says if I had any sense it' only be the change in my pocket...

I Have Only One Wish, To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!
Old 03-05-2019, 01:55 PM
Da Chief

Most of what I want installed in the Isuzu will be for "underway" navigation. SWMBO, the copilot/navigator wants to be able to run her lap top / tablet /I phone and access the net while going down the road.

For this use, I have a 1200 watt inverter, mounted on the frame, with a duplex 120 vac outlet box in the cab, along side a 4 port 12 VDC/ power port with 2 USB/micro USB outlets. 1200 watt 120VAC and 20 amp 12 VDC available should handle anything in the cab. I'm thinking of running this all off the dual Start/Run batteries, charged by the Alt.

A solid state isolator, fed from the ALT, will charge the dual aux batteries, with a plug in cord to the 5th wheel/ house batteries when parked / boon docking.

The onboard genset can provide 30 amp, 120 VAC service to the 5th wheel, (AC, TV, nuke oven, music etc.) as well as 4 duplex outlets for lights, tools,et6c just like the rig was plugged into a campground lollypop.

The original question was about adding another one or two inverters for a dedicated power strip, just for visiting rechargeable electronics, cell phones, flash lights, portable radio's and the like. Every emergency I've been to, lately, GPS and cell phone charging is always in short supply.

Perhaps I should start another thread so you all can help me get the tow rig wired properly, to do all the stuff I want to do. Wadya think?

\RED

Old 03-05-2019, 10:16 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
I think the phasing would have be exact or 180 out? Or maybe you would end up with 0 volts or 240v? I'm not an electrical engineer so I could be talking nonsense...

PS: or install another alternator?

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
Lincoln Patriot autodark (freebie)
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...
Old 03-05-2019, 11:08 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Most of what I want installed in the Isuzu will be for "underway" navigation. SWMBO, the copilot/navigator wants to be able to run her lap top / tablet /I phone and access the net while going down the road.

For this use, I have a 1200 watt inverter, mounted on the frame, with a duplex 120 vac outlet box in the cab, along side a 4 port 12 VDC/ power port with 2 USB/micro USB outlets. 1200 watt 120VAC and 20 amp 12 VDC available should handle anything in the cab. I'm thinking of running this all off the dual Start/Run batteries, charged by the Alt.

A solid state isolator, fed from the ALT, will charge the dual aux batteries, with a plug in cord to the 5th wheel/ house batteries when parked / boon docking.

The onboard genset can provide 30 amp, 120 VAC service to the 5th wheel, (AC, TV, nuke oven, music etc.) as well as 4 duplex outlets for lights, tools,et6c just like the rig was plugged into a campground lollypop.

The original question was about adding another one or two inverters for a dedicated power strip, just for visiting rechargeable electronics, cell phones, flash lights, portable radio's and the like. Every emergency I've been to, lately, GPS and cell phone charging is always in short supply.

Perhaps I should start another thread so you all can help me get the tow rig wired properly, to do all the stuff I want to do. Wadya think?

\RED

Since you seem to want to have lots of power, you can probably have each inverter just power it’s own set of 8 outlets, or so. Just turn one on, and if you need more, turn on the other one. You can probably run a lot of chargers off one inverter though, especially a 800 - 1200 watt.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 03-06-2019, 12:53 AM
Post Fiend

Quote:

\RED

Red it seems to me every thing you want to charge already has a 12 volt charger available. Why not add extra cigarette lighter ports and some USBs to the 12v system and not mess with the invertor? Or am I missing something?