Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-03-2019, 10:50 AM
gimpyrobb's Avatar
gimpyrobb gimpyrobb is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Cincy Oh
Posts: 1,803
Default Pallet jack troubles

A buddy brought me a pallet jack, says the hydraulic doesn't work. Seems to me, the pressure bleeds off. Is there a safety on these things to keep from overloading? Its rated at 5k and there is no leaking hydraulic fluid but it won't lift 800lbs. Another thought, I'll have to verify its full of fluid first! it was late yesterday and I was worn out from setting up pallet racking. I didn't see a model number or manufacturer on it either.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-03-2019, 11:03 AM
Scotts's Avatar
Scotts Scotts is offline
Stuff, Just stuff
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Wichita Kansas
Posts: 5,057
Default

The piston seal may be bad, If it leaked in the past someone may have filled it and got some trash in it. Some of them have a pump lower and neutral position on the handle for the hydraulics. It could be out of adjustment.

Scott
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-05-2019, 10:49 PM
mccutter's Avatar
mccutter mccutter is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 8,147
Default

Not trying to go OT but I have a very nicely constructed Roush floor jack. About a month after the warranty was over it leaked out most of its fluid from the main piston seal. There is a hydraulic guy here that "fixed" it for me in exchange for some welding work. Took him 3 months and he gave it back to me with no fluid in it... Anyhow, it has started leaking again...

But yes, check the fluid and have a pan ready in case it pukes out...

Anyone have a source for hydraulic seals and such?
__________________

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
Lincoln Patriot autodark (freebie)
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-05-2019, 10:58 PM
toprecycler's Avatar
toprecycler toprecycler is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Petoskey, Michigan
Posts: 3,587
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccutter View Post
Not trying to go OT but I have a very nicely constructed Roush floor jack. About a month after the warranty was over it leaked out most of its fluid from the main piston seal. There is a hydraulic guy here that "fixed" it for me in exchange for some welding work. Took him 3 months and he gave it back to me with no fluid in it... Anyhow, it has started leaking again...



But yes, check the fluid and have a pan ready in case it pukes out...



Anyone have a source for hydraulic seals and such?

http://herculesus.com/

Is where my shop gets most of our seals.



Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk
__________________
Brian

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-06-2019, 03:36 AM
MetalWolf's Avatar
MetalWolf MetalWolf is offline
Lubrication Consultant
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: LaVernia,Tx.
Posts: 2,774
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by toprecycler View Post
http://herculesus.com/

Is where my shop gets most of our seals.



Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk
Do you have a good source like this for automotive seals?
I could sure use a good parts house bypass source...
__________________
MetalWolf, AKA---- Metallic Shapeshifter-----

I Have Only One Wish, To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-06-2019, 07:58 AM
gimpyrobb's Avatar
gimpyrobb gimpyrobb is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Cincy Oh
Posts: 1,803
Default

I have a place that I've used for years now, Pride seal. Those guys rock.

Typical as of late, I'm working 6 of the 7 days this week. I probably wont get back to this till May the way things are going right now
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-06-2019, 09:02 AM
Ironman's Avatar
Ironman Ironman is offline
Iron Modification Investigator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Warburg, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 13,268
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpyrobb View Post
A buddy brought me a pallet jack, says the hydraulic doesn't work. Seems to me, the pressure bleeds off. Is there a safety on these things to keep from overloading? Its rated at 5k and there is no leaking hydraulic fluid but it won't lift 800lbs. Another thought, I'll have to verify its full of fluid first! it was late yesterday and I was worn out from setting up pallet racking. I didn't see a model number or manufacturer on it either.
Time for a seal kit, they usually take common O rings. I don't think this is your problem, but it should be eliminated as a probable cause.

Usually when you have pressure bleeding off, it is because someone lifted something too heavy. Any jack will lift more then it should, like humans.
When the pressure is released high pressure oil will cut a groove in the seat of the release valve and thereafter will leak down.
The valve itself has a cone shaped end on the release screw. It could be the screw, but more likely the brass seat that is damaged.

I have been told that putting the right sized ball bearing in there and tapping with a hammer can repair the cut seat, but I have not tried it. I would rather turn a punch end to the right shape and hit it that way to reshape the seat. That does work.
__________________
Gerry
You got freedom of speech, if you don't say too much.
Aaron Neville

"I must abide by my core values, my ethical responsibilities and constitutional obligations. There can be a cost to acting on one’s principles, but there is a bigger cost to abandoning them.” Jane Philpott
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-06-2019, 01:03 PM
mccutter's Avatar
mccutter mccutter is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 8,147
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by toprecycler View Post
Is where my shop gets most of our seals.
Thanks Brian. I've downloaded the pdfs and will glance through them later...
__________________

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
Lincoln Patriot autodark (freebie)
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-06-2019, 06:23 PM
toprecycler's Avatar
toprecycler toprecycler is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Petoskey, Michigan
Posts: 3,587
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalWolf View Post
Do you have a good source like this for automotive seals?

I could sure use a good parts house bypass source...


They stock both standard and metric sizes. We identify seals as we rebuild cylinders and pumps, and then choose the closest fit we can. Sometimes we can’t find an exact match for OEM, then we will try to modify existing parts to take a new size seal, and if that does not work, then we will make new parts that will.

If you can measure the seals you need, you might be able to cross it over to something that will work, if you can’t find seals in the normal stores.


Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk
__________________
Brian

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-06-2019, 06:36 PM
MetalWolf's Avatar
MetalWolf MetalWolf is offline
Lubrication Consultant
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: LaVernia,Tx.
Posts: 2,774
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by toprecycler View Post
They stock both standard and metric sizes. We identify seals as we rebuild cylinders and pumps, and then choose the closest fit we can. Sometimes we can’t find an exact match for OEM, then we will try to modify existing parts to take a new size seal, and if that does not work, then we will make new parts that will.

If you can measure the seals you need, you might be able to cross it over to something that will work, if you can’t find seals in the normal stores.


Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk
Do they do/make/carry the seals for like automotive axle and hub, rear main for engine type? is what I'm looking for. I have 4 major players in the supply business here available locally for that stuff but always seem to come up empty handed with them for the most part, the only competent guy has sold his business and is gone after 45 years... sad as he knew his stuff by heart when it came to bearings and seals and could always seem to find what a guy needed... nowadays it's a bunch of school kids who can't use a computer for anything but gaming...

pic is example seal type
Click image for larger version

Name:	413dPjQvytL.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	149737
__________________
MetalWolf, AKA---- Metallic Shapeshifter-----

I Have Only One Wish, To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Web Search:

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.