Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 03-04-2019, 05:36 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
So...inquiring minds want to know what project is this, are their pictures
I have a few projects in mind that could benefit from a unit like this but only one where I think this particular unit would be suitable.

I wish to make large scale barbed wire. My plan is to make the barbs from 3/8" rod that I will likely wrap on my lathe or I may use this unit to do so. I also want to twist two lengths of 5/8" rod together to form the runs of a fence. This is a future project but I took advantage of this unit now as the price was right.

Aren't energy consumption and computers supposed to make life less stressful?

If you are not having fun then you are doing it wrong.
Old 03-04-2019, 05:54 AM
Elite Member

The lead box cover is missing on this unit. This is where I believe the different wiring configurations are shown.

The data plate shows voltages for the motor and brake. It also shows two RPM ratings, 1730/18 for the motor and reducer output, there is no gear ratio indicated. There is no other data plate on the speed reducer portion of this unit.

Because of this I believe this to be a specialized power unit and not intended to be separated or sold individually except perhaps as replacements.

Old 03-04-2019, 09:07 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

I think the data plate gives you everything you need to contact the manufacturer for a wiring diagram. Any industrial electrician can also help you out on the configurations.
But you said you have hooked it up and tested, so you must have an idea of it.

"I must abide by my core values, my ethical responsibilities and constitutional obligations. There can be a cost to acting on one’s principles, but there is a bigger cost to abandoning them.” Jane Philpott
Old 03-04-2019, 09:02 PM
Stuff, Just stuff

Here is a picture inside the lead box of the unit I have, It is a 2 speed motor and the brake connector magic box is shown as well.

I thought I had a picture of the tag on the motor, I do not right now. I do remember the brake being called out on the tag as 120 volt single phase and the motor as 480 3 phase.

Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mixacotilt23.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	197.6 KB
ID:	149717  
Old 03-04-2019, 09:42 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotts View Post
Here is a picture inside the lead box of the unit I have, It is a 2 speed motor and the brake connector magic box is shown as well.

I thought I had a picture of the tag on the motor, I do not right now. I do remember the brake being called out on the tag as 120 volt single phase and the motor as 480 3 phase.

Scott
I don't know anything about these motors types. So this may be A totally dumb question. but if it has a break and it is electric on a separate power feed from the motor circuit... Can the whole brake be taken out of the motor and deleted completely circuit and all? And then you have just the motor it's self.

I Have Only One Wish, To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!
Old 03-05-2019, 08:45 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
I think the data plate gives you everything you need to contact the manufacturer for a wiring diagram. Any industrial electrician can also help you out on the configurations.
But you said you have hooked it up and tested, so you must have an idea of it.
There are only three wires in the box capable of handling motor current. These are the wires I used to test at 230 V 3PH, the motor seemed to run normal.

All other dual or multi voltage motors I have seen have more than three wires that can be connected in different ways for different voltage inputs. I am wondering how a motor would behave when connected to 230V while wired for 460V?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	192.3 KB
ID:	149726  

Old 03-05-2019, 08:50 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalWolf View Post
I don't know anything about these motors types. So this may be A totally dumb question. but if it has a break and it is electric on a separate power feed from the motor circuit... Can the whole brake be taken out of the motor and deleted completely circuit and all? And then you have just the motor it's self.
This was my initial intention however when I discovered the loose motor shaft I decided that "if it ain't broke don't fix it". I came this close to continuing removal but I didn't' want to "open a can of worms".

Old 03-05-2019, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by threepiece View Post
There are only three wires in the box capable of handling motor current. These are the wires I used to test at 230 V 3PH, the motor seemed to run normal.

All other dual or multi voltage motors I have seen have more than three wires that can be connected in different ways for different voltage inputs. I am wondering how a motor would behave when connected to 230V while wired for 460V?
The motor will run fine on 1/2 voltage or even 1/3 the rated voltage. It will run up to speed like normal. The horsepower will be way less. I have even run 600 volt motors on 230 volt.
Is there any sign of rewinding on that motor?

I would talk to Terry Lingle on this, he has seen alot more of them.

"I must abide by my core values, my ethical responsibilities and constitutional obligations. There can be a cost to acting on one’s principles, but there is a bigger cost to abandoning them.” Jane Philpott
Old 03-05-2019, 10:11 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
The motor will run fine on 1/2 voltage or even 1/3 the rated voltage. It will run up to speed like normal. The horsepower will be way less. I have even run 600 volt motors on 230 volt.
Is there any sign of rewinding on that motor?

I would talk to Terry Lingle on this, he has seen alot more of them.
I have a habit of squeezing rotating motor shafts or power tool spindles with my bare hands to test their torque output. I realize this is in no way definitive but after doing it for so long I have developed somewhat of a sixth sense about it. I did not notice a deficiency when warming up this shaft.

Old 03-05-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by threepiece View Post
I have a habit of squeezing rotating motor shafts or power tool spindles with my bare hands to test their torque output. I realize this is in no way definitive but after doing it for so long I have developed somewhat of a sixth sense about it. I did not notice a deficiency when warming up this shaft.
Then, even if it is not at 1hp, there may be plenty of power for your needs. And it is possible that the last user did have it wired for 230 volts.