Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 03-03-2019, 03:25 AM
Lubrication Consultant

Default Possibly Useful Or Must have Tool Stuff for the DIY Guy's/Gal's

Ok, So lately I've not been able to do the normal routine out in the shop. Or Spend as much time as I would like.

So this will prolly be more of a tool and gadget review sort of.
Now I know some of you may not be interested in any of this stuff as you may already have or have no use for it, but thought I'd share some of what I found to either be useful or useful to the purposes intended for.

So I find my self surfing the web looking for parts the work that my helper can do alone, But also find other things I wanted in tool supplies etc.

I've seen these before on infomercials BG and other places. one being the cone-shaped thread un-boogers that make the tip of things like all tread, anchor bolts and jacked up lug threads.

And since it takes time to grind a chamfer with the bench grinder or run a tap die to get that first couple of threads un buggerd.

I thought it would be a useful tool being can't always remove a stud or bolt or be near the grinder or having the right tap die... So I picked one up and will see how it works.

The other item I fond that would be useful is a smart charger for the rechargeable batteries for the battery powered drop and portable shop lights and flashlights, This ones will charge and do most all the types of smaller common used batteries Ni-cad and lithium in triple-A double and the 18650 size which is the specialty replacement for the little carrier cartridge that holds the three triple A batteries...

now what surprised me was the ability to take one of the weak rechargeable batteries that will still charge or only charge partially and rejuvenate it... how that works I don't know but the charger does it automatical when you put a weak or bad battery in the other thing is it will show you a battery that has been overcharged and then discharge it and then recharge it to proper level It is kind of neat really as I have thrown so many expensive rechargeables away over the years, because they would not charge or would not hold charge but a few minutes.

I have tested it by deliberately using some of my weak and bad chargeable batteries and got to say it works. and they are holding strong

I Still Have a few more little od and end things to come in yet as I went on a small low budget spending spree for what my little piggy bank would allow.
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0265.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	211.2 KB
ID:	149679

I Have Only One Wish, To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!
Old 03-03-2019, 12:41 PM
Elite Member

"smart charger for the rechargeable batteries" - got a link by any chance? Not totally happy with the chargers I have...

"18650 size which is the specialty replacement for the little carrier cartridge that holds the three triple A batteries"

You gave me hope on that one, til I tried it - apparently those little carriers come in different lengths, 'cause I pulled the one out of a magnetic ended light I like and the 18650 is nearly 3/8" LONGER than the carrier - and the carrier is ALREADY a tight fit

Oh well, good try; I'll keep that in mind for any OTHER devices that have that obnoxious carrier in 'em, considering I have quite a few of those 18650's around.

anyway, if you got a link to that charger I'd appreciate it... Steve
Old 03-03-2019, 12:59 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BukitCase View Post
"smart charger for the rechargeable batteries" - got a link by any chance? Not totally happy with the chargers I have...

"18650 size which is the specialty replacement for the little carrier cartridge that holds the three triple A batteries"

You gave me hope on that one, til I tried it - apparently those little carriers come in different lengths, 'cause I pulled the one out of a magnetic ended light I like and the 18650 is nearly 3/8" LONGER than the carrier - and the carrier is ALREADY a tight fit

Oh well, good try; I'll keep that in mind for any OTHER devices that have that obnoxious carrier in 'em, considering I have quite a few of those 18650's around.

Steve the place I get them does not have a linkable site not sure why.

here is the same one but it only has 6 ports and the next link is the portable one that works with house plug or car adapter that holds four batteries
I will say I am super happy it was amazing the abilities to bring back some rechargeable batteries and I have charged on the four-port charger a couple of 1865 batteries and 1 triple A and a double A and it automatically adjust the charge for each individual battery, anyway here are the two chargers I have the only difference is I order direct from Mfg. suppliers but you should look both up on eBay and Amazon and see who sells them cheaper.
https://www.banggood.com/GOLISI-S6-L...r_warehouse=CN

https://www.banggood.com/Nitecore-NE...r_warehouse=CN

Old 03-03-2019, 01:17 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:

also, consider the 18650 takes a plastic sleeve around it to keep the battery from banging around in there that will damage the battery internals from dropping sort of like a shock a barrier those short flashlights you get for free at times from HF with cupon have the short carrier in them I get them for the carrier only LOL!

also depending on how long the cap thread is on the light that 3/8 of an inch can be taken up with a bushing slip ring and light will then work with the longer 18650 series...

also, I'm replacing the 5800 mah 18650 for the 12000mah they seem to be much better-made hold up longer and stay brighter far longer I ordered a pack of 20 was like 45 bucks for the twenty of the Ultrafire brand.
not sure what they be on BG or Amazon
but recg=hargable batteries like that are a good investment and do save money considering the way the lights eat up high priced Duracells

and if you use lights like these the charger and batteries, it dang sure pays for itself in the first month or two...

Old 03-03-2019, 03:59 PM
The Real Deal

When using a grinder or belt grinder hold the bolt or threaded rod in the position in the pic and the nut will start the first time every time. don't hold the piece sideways to the grinder or the nut will not start the first time every time.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	grind.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	149691  
Old 03-03-2019, 04:09 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digr View Post
When using a grinder or belt grinder hold the bolt or threaded rod in the position in the pic and the nut will start the first time every time. don't hold the piece sideways to the grinder or the nut will not start the first time every time.

Makes sense as to think where the burr will be after grinding. I find it makes a huge difference when grinding with a hand grinder, how I hold the wheel to the edge of the steel, as to how it feels after.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 03-03-2019, 06:42 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Yeah, I get that. might not be totally convenient every day use other than maybe for a construction worker or contractor.

But it's still pretty hard to hold a lag bolt anchored into a concrete slab, tractor/truck wheel stud, still on the tractor, or other Items that are like that up to the bench grinder...

I mean, It's not like when I was younger and was carrying around a 6pack and two arms and chest full of bulging muscles and able to wear a pair of tight fitting 501 levies, raging with testosterone ya know... may not have been able to do it then either... but the girls use to imagine, some of us guys could pull off such epic feats...

This is more a user-friendly quick and easy, For the guys now years older who now sport around in their bib coveralls, carrying their 6 pack of brew in their lunch box over their bellies a bulging over the belt... and leading a cartoon bubble trail of flagellants from the not so agreeable morning, toco's different times and situations...

Old 03-03-2019, 08:06 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Did a quick test piece with a before and after. Cuts a fair chamfer, with ease using the cordless drill, a chamfer cut to fix buggered end was about 3-4 seconds, and I think 3/8 is about as small as this size will do.
I'll give it a thumbs up for its intended use... I'll have to abuse it quite a bit more before, I can say it has any star number ratings.

Name:	DSCN0270.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	206.3 KB
ID:	149693Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0272.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	188.1 KB
ID:	149694Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0273.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	179.7 KB
ID:	149695Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0265.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	211.2 KB
ID:	149696

Old 03-03-2019, 08:40 PM
Elite Member

Randall, the nitecore i4 appears to be a slightly newer version of one of mine, amazon wants about $6 less than BG (and, from all reports, about 60 days less shipping time)

I'll check out those Ultrafire batts too, altho I've had a few probs with that brand (and others); there's too many cases of "oriental optimism" regarding maH ratings in my experience.

So far I seem to be having better luck with Odec 18650's, and THEY only claim 3350 mAh - (I'm thinkin' that's a REAL 3350, instead of others' WISHful 6000 )

Later... Steve
Old 03-03-2019, 08:49 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Randall, the nitecore i4 appears to be a slightly newer version of one of mine, amazon wants about $6 less than BG (and, from all reports, about 60 days less shipping time)

I'll check out those Ultrafire batts too, altho I've had a few probs with that brand (and others); there's too many cases of "oriental optimism" regarding maH ratings in my experience.

So far I seem to be having better luck with Odec 18650's, and THEY only claim 3350 mAh - (I'm thinkin' that's a REAL 3350, instead of others' WISHful 6000 )

Later... Steve
Yep, I have had some issues as well don't know if they've hit US market yet but now have color codding surefire and you can sure tell by their wright when you compare them in your hand. the ones that are lightweight are very questionable as to being true 9800mAh and then you get some 4500mAh that are twice as heavy so yeah I get ya on the questionable china stuff...
and for what some of this stuff cost me I can't complain as I really don't have much of anything invested, it's more wait time than anything