Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 02-27-2019, 12:44 PM
SFT Historian

I did not read all of the link so it may not be what you need to know
Also recommend you send Shade a PM to confirm mixing additives.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...pics/1684658/2

from page two of the link.

"My two cents for posterity:

Recently I had my Versatrak fluid flushed for about $140 ($84 for four bottles on Amazon plus $50 labor at Econo Lube). You can save the $50 by doing this yourself. If that's still too much, I've talked to a person involved in the design of the VersaTrak system and here is what he said:

"The versatrak fluid is not that special, it is a just high quality synthetic gear oil with friction additives.

If you want, you can make your own brew, the formula is : Mobil 1 75W-90 gear oil, and a tube of friction modifier (LSD additive, GM #1052358, Ford #M2C118-A, Chrysler #4318060) you can use any brand, CRC, Redline, etc. use just enough to get rid of groaning noise.

Make sure you have identical tires on all four corners, the diameter needs to exact, do not mix and match different brands, even if same size, do not even mix worn and new tires. Do not tow you your Buick with 2 wheels off the ground."
"
Old 02-27-2019, 01:18 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWIZ View Post
I did not read all of the link so it may not be what you need to know
Also recommend you send Shade a PM to confirm mixing additives.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...pics/1684658/2

from page two of the link.

"My two cents for posterity:

Recently I had my Versatrak fluid flushed for about $140 ($84 for four bottles on Amazon plus $50 labor at Econo Lube). You can save the $50 by doing this yourself. If that's still too much, I've talked to a person involved in the design of the VersaTrak system and here is what he said:

"The versatrak fluid is not that special, it is a just high quality synthetic gear oil with friction additives.

If you want, you can make your own brew, the formula is : Mobil 1 75W-90 gear oil, and a tube of friction modifier (LSD additive, GM #1052358, Ford #M2C118-A, Chrysler #4318060) you can use any brand, CRC, Redline, etc. use just enough to get rid of groaning noise.

Make sure you have identical tires on all four corners, the diameter needs to exact, do not mix and match different brands, even if same size, do not even mix worn and new tires. Do not tow you your Buick with 2 wheels off the ground."
"
Thanks, guys for the help I will no doubt do what is the right thing and get as close to the specs as possible for the guy. at least he and I have an understanding that is will not be GM specific as for seals well I'll get that figured out as well I always somehow seem to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkclimber View Post
its a hypoid gear set,if the client just wants 30K more from it,put a full synthetic 50W in it and roll..The lubricant does two things-provides a oil cushion between the gears,and provides lubrication for the bearings.The original GM fluid may also have some type of friction modifier additive for limited slip differential clutch plates,but at this point the limited slip may not be functional or a priority for the customer. Make the customer aware of the issue and advise them this might give them good service and see what they think.I can't see that it wouldn't last at least 30K more. Can't imagine it'll get that hot as to scorch it,sounds like a snake oil sales pitch by GM..FWIW my opinion
It has just become apparent to me, that I may just be over thinking things with this. I am just frustrated with GM in general at the moment, next week it will be dodge and dealing with their pooch screwing ideas.

It's sad the dealerships and service are becoming more and more like reading crap on the internet, where you have to work way to hard at figuring out what is fact and what is fiction...

so I prolly am overthinking all this a bit too much. I think I need a long ass vacation. and just go fishing for about a month.... and get away from all this stress.

Thank all you guys for the help...

I Have Only One Wish, To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!
Old 02-27-2019, 03:51 PM

What are the pn's for the seals you need?
Old 02-27-2019, 04:13 PM
Grumpy Bastard

https://www.amazon.com/d/Transmissio...fer/B000QIW28O

Auto manufacturer's often dream up design that don't work with typical
lubricants. So they end up working with and oil or additive company or
companies that try to fix a piss poor mechanical design with chemistry.

Buy the right shit and forget it.

The volume of this market/application is so small, nobody bothers with it.
Don't use any of the home brew shit you will be sorry and be rebuilding it
again.

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 02-27-2019, 06:47 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade Tree Welder View Post

again.
Ron. here is the problem. the fluid is for the rear differential.
"not the transfer case. " and all three take a different fluid the fluid linked to says "it's for THE Transfer case."

Its what is driving me so dang crazy... So according to the MFG and the web forum on this 05 Equinox All-wheel-drive car, is no fluid available.
it has "no transfer case" just a front transaxle and rear differential...

The fluid is no doubt why there are so many in the bone yards right now with blown rear diffs. they are so cheap and plentiful you can buy one used for 75 bucks but all have the same issues blown bearings gears or are total trash... either from homebrew or improper fluid.

So It is why I want to be sure of what goes in it. and if no proper fluid is available? what is the next best thing to do?

Old 02-27-2019, 10:47 PM
Post Fiend

ACDelco VERSATRAK Fluid is a blend of synthetic base oils and performance additives specially formulated to give the proper friction characteristics, gear protection, and oxidation resistance needed for the transfer case and carrier assembly differential in the VERSATRAK All-Wheel Drive System. Do not use VERSATRAK fluid in standard or limited slip rear axles. Use VERSATRAK fluid only in applications that specify VERSATRAK fluid.

Key point being “and carrier assembly differential”

If it were me I would go to the dealership and buy the damn oil. You have been getting jerked around by dicks so far. Have a pic of the door tag and glove box code when you go in. They surely do services on vehicles of this vintage and change the oil in the rear ends. If they give some bullshit line ask them to spell their name. When they ask why, tell them it’s so you can make sure it’s correct when you call customer support/corporate. That usually gets the ball rolling in a corporate atmosphere. They will be all kinds of helpful once they have some skin in the game.
Old 02-27-2019, 11:06 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinDodge View Post

ACDelco VERSATRAK Fluid is a blend of synthetic base oils and performance additives specially formulated to give the proper friction characteristics, gear protection, and oxidation resistance needed for the transfer case and carrier assembly differential in the VERSATRAK All-Wheel Drive System. Do not use VERSATRAK fluid in standard or limited slip rear axles. Use VERSATRAK fluid only in applications that specify VERSATRAK fluid.

Key point being “and carrier assembly differential”

If it were me I would go to the dealership and buy the damn oil. You have been getting jerked around by dicks so far. Have a pic of the door tag and glove box code when you go in. They surely do services on vehicles of this vintage and change the oil in the rear ends. If they give some bullshit line ask them to spell their name. When they ask why, tell them it’s so you can make sure it’s correct when you call customer support/corporate. That usually gets the ball rolling in a corporate atmosphere. They will be all kinds of helpful once they have some skin in the game.
That may be what needs to be done as when I went to the dealership he flat out said we do not service them any longer and we do not carry the Versatrack diff. fluid or the shaft seals for the diff. but we will sell you a whole differential can have one shipped in and again I said well does it come with fluid he said NO they ship dry! I asked him then if you don't carry or sell the proper fluid needed then why the "F" would you offer to sell me a differential then... Cat got his tongue and other people standing there started laughing a little...

so he got up and walked out of the part desk... I waited for 5 minutes just to see if he was coming back, Nope!

I started to walk off cause I was a bit livid with the circus and seen he started to come back to the counter. and as soon as he saw me turn and walk back he walked out again.

So I can be an asshole at times... so I sat down in the chair and waited for another 15 minutes... conversated with another customer and sure enough as I got to the door to walk out he is peeking out the side door of the room he walked off in too.

I had a mind to just go back and sit some more but figured it wasn't fair to the other folks that were there to do business, PLus I had better things to do so I left still a bit perturbed but at least he did feel like to dam fool he was...

Old 02-28-2019, 10:24 PM
Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalWolf View Post
VersaTrack SL034. rear differential fluid for a 2005 Chevy Equinox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade Tree Welder View Post

again.
Wolfie,

Your confusion, is this.

The Fluid you want is call VersaTrak.

SL034 is the equipment name, i.e. your axle, and is NOT part of the oil name.

Buy the oil from Amazon and use it is the correct oil...

Syntax, spelling and context is important. Ask cutter.

Old 02-28-2019, 10:26 PM
Grumpy Bastard

https://paceperformance.com/i-513377...d-16-9-oz.html

Read the description to the very end.

Old 02-28-2019, 10:35 PM
Post Fiend

Sounds like a Haldex unit...sort of... LINK

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
Lincoln Patriot autodark (freebie)
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...