Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 02-25-2019, 10:14 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Default Million Dollar Oil question for the expert... VersaTrack... Or SL034

Well, Ron. I am hoping you can tell me if there is a substitute for the VersaTrack SL034. rear differential fluid for a 2005 Chevy Equinox.
There is not a parts house here who stocks it and dealer has to order it but are pretty sure they can not get it either.

I am rebuilding the rear diff. in an equinox AWD and am finding it hard to get the fluid for it. this dang thing makes no sense what so ever. I bought the gear and bearing set for this thing with ease. but no one carries the differential fluid or the seals for this thing. and I am being told by the MFG/dealership there is nothing else that can be used or it will scorch the diff... but the trans and T-case can use a type from purple that crosses over for those components. Just not for the differential... So what is so specialized about this fluid?

I Have Only One Wish, To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!
Old 02-26-2019, 03:21 AM
Elite Member

These guys claim to have it for $22. https://paceperformance.com/i-513377...d-16-9-oz.html
Old 02-26-2019, 10:17 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samcord View Post
These guys claim to have it for $22. https://paceperformance.com/i-513377...d-16-9-oz.html
That links to the transfer case fluid, in this case, the transfer case and trans take different fluids and the rear AWD diff take a very specialized fluid or it will scorch the ring and gear set.

I went to the dealer and Oh I can buy all the gear set and bearings set with no issue. but ya can't find or buy the fluid or seals for the dang thing. GM said they can't get it and won't even try to order it seals or fluid I was in a WTF mood with them over that... what good are gears or bearings if you have no seals or fluid his response is well we rather you buy the complete rear differential
and Dam that pissed me off...

today alone I have been to every parts house and none will not have or can even order the stuff seals included
So I went to all 5 of the major players in a 200 radius and all said the same thing we can't get the fluid or the seals couldn't even cross numbers over or measure match the two seals... Why should a person have to spend 15 to 2k on a new diff just to get two seals and a half a quart of, correct, fluid?

Old 02-27-2019, 03:26 AM
Blast this!

Can you find a number on the seals ? If not od ,ID at a bearing house ,take the old one and they should be able to come up with a worker .At least my local IBT has been a blessing on my odd stuff that is along the lines of KOA our friend in Linn Lake .
Old 02-27-2019, 06:56 AM
Elite Member

Default Million Dollar Oil question for the expert... VersaTrack... Or SL034

So if you buy a new differential, does it use the same obsolete fluid?

Or is this way that Gm is realizing that they really screwed the pooch on this design, and will not allow parts anymore to fix it?

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 02-27-2019, 09:22 AM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by midmosandblasting View Post
Can you find a number on the seals ? If not od ,ID at a bearing house ,take the old one and they should be able to come up with a worker .At least my local IBT has been a blessing on my odd stuff that is along the lines of KOA our friend in Linn Lake .
Can not be matched thought that my self spent the whole day chasing the experts on seals and bearings all were dumbfounded no crossing over numbers and even measuring to fit failed and it is just 03-05 equinox and torrent they screwed the pooch.

Old 02-27-2019, 09:30 AM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by toprecycler View Post
So if you buy a new differential, does it use the same obsolete fluid?

Or is this way that Gm is realizing that they really screwed the pooch on this design, and will not allow parts anymore to fix it?

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk
yes, it will be the same fluid. and yep it comes dry.

I'm going to say *&^% IT. and use "a high quality?" I mean, an expensive full syn. in it, and the heck with it.
I have already talked to the client, And He agrees if he gets another 30k out of it he would be happy.
being it has no real value for a trade-in of any sort. and he doesn't want to sell a POS to anyone after all the problems he's had with this thing.

Old 02-27-2019, 09:42 AM

Boy! That sucks.

The fluid is probably a high shear value full synthetic blend of gear oil would be my guess. The way i look at it, if Mobil doesn't have it, nobody will. Wonder if one of the hydraulic tractor oils mention here would work?

Got lathe and mill? Modify things for a different seal set to fit.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:59 AM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4gsr View Post
Boy! That sucks.

The fluid is probably a high shear value full synthetic blend of gear oil would be my guess. The way i look at it, if Mobil doesn't have it, nobody will. Wonder if one of the hydraulic tractor oils mention here would work?

Got lathe and mill? Modify things for a different seal set to fit.
the fluid was supposedly an AC Delco/GM product only. so I am clueless to the oil factor on this. and is so irritating no one can say for sure all have a different idea of and have speculation of what it is. including, the GM dealership which was the worst help hands down!

as for making it work I prolly could but! he just needs it to go a little longer before it goes to the crusher so mill and lathe time would be fruitless for both me and him.

Old 02-27-2019, 11:54 AM

Default GM versatrack rear lube

its a hypoid gear set,if the client just wants 30K more from it,put a full synthetic 50W in it and roll..The lubricant does two things-provides a oil cushion between the gears,and provides lubrication for the bearings.The original GM fluid may also have some type of friction modifier additive for limited slip differential clutch plates,but at this point the limited slip may not be functional or a priority for the customer. Make the customer aware of the issue and advise them this might give them good service and see what they think.I can't see that it wouldn't last at least 30K more. Can't imagine it'll get that hot as to scorch it,sounds like a snake oil sales pitch by GM..FWIW my opinion
Strands Gear Drive Drill Press, RongFu 3hp Gear Drive Drill
Tannewitz 36" Contour Saw, 16" 5hp Chop Saw
Rockwell 6x48 belt grinder,Grizzly 6x48 belt sander
48" Chicago Box Pan Brake, Hydraulic compact Press Brake
3 forklifts,4 generators,2 IR Air compressors
Not Enough Room