Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 02-19-2019, 10:39 PM
SmokinDodge's Avatar
SmokinDodge SmokinDodge is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Missouri
Posts: 5,858
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
Gearbox drive makes it sound if the company is small time, and is picking
from a catalog. But it must pencil out. Running a 6 pole alt at 1200
should be cheaper to build, and cheaper maint.

Does the gearbox mount inside that extended bell housing ?
Maybe a planetary gearbox ?

60 gallons of oil sounds awfull small amount for an engine of that size.
FWIW a 4400 hp diesel engine on a loco uses 8 barrels....

I work with a contract engineer once in awhile, he did a garbage mound
power house set-up very similar.

He said the gas is very dirty, and needs cleaning, had a couple of filters
in series to clean it up before the engine.
Ya we are pretty small time. Down right minuscule.

I’m not sure what the gear box will be. This is the first one in the Western Hemisphere and details are a little light right now.

Most our engines are outside their peak efficiency at 1,200 rpm and while they can make some KW at 1,200 rpm they make more and cleaner power with max boost at rated RPM. We have some older 1,200 rpm guascors that we rebuilt to run at 1,800 and it adds roughly 40% more HP at the same emissions levels.

The 56 liter takes 60 gallons of oil. This engine is 110 liters. I do not know the sump size of this one but if we apply a little grey matter I bet it’s gonna roughly double the 56.

There is virtually no maintenance to these gen ends. I saw more trouble with the RV units and mice while at Cummins than these ever have. They run 24/7/365 so they are constant speed, temp etc. Not much problem with condensation, rust, or foreign matter. As long as they get ONLY two pumps of the super grease at the prescribed interval most the gen ends will run 60,000 hours with no issue.
__________________
The guy that said money can't buy happiness never bought a tank of fuel for a turbo diesel.............
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-23-2019, 02:01 AM
Whitetrash's Avatar
Whitetrash Whitetrash is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Estes Park, CO [Around 8000 Ft. Elv.]
Posts: 2,751
Default

No hijack intended here just sort of shaking my head. These clowns built this enormous facility in the middle of oil and gas production country and then instead of building a power generation site with units like you folks produce. Decided they would generate and scrub bio-gas and pipe it to CA. Even tho the facility is in Bum-F**k no where so to speak the neighbors started complain about the holding pond/small lake of Shiite as the Scots call it and it's smell. To say it's not cost effective is a major understatement. But, I guess everybody gets to hug a tree and say they are saving Gaia
https://www.greeleytribune.com/news/...h-weld-county/
__________________
"Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery."
Winston Churchill
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-23-2019, 09:01 AM
SmokinDodge's Avatar
SmokinDodge SmokinDodge is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Missouri
Posts: 5,858
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitetrash View Post
No hijack intended here just sort of shaking my head. These clowns built this enormous facility in the middle of oil and gas production country and then instead of building a power generation site with units like you folks produce. Decided they would generate and scrub bio-gas and pipe it to CA. Even tho the facility is in Bum-F**k no where so to speak the neighbors started complain about the holding pond/small lake of Shiite as the Scots call it and it's smell. To say it's not cost effective is a major understatement. But, I guess everybody gets to hug a tree and say they are saving Gaia
https://www.greeleytribune.com/news/...h-weld-county/

Some of the sites are weird and that looks like no exception. We have a couple sites that are now running off the pipeline and selling the gas out of their digestor????

I think it’s a lot like farming and is most likely heavily subsidized by the government.
__________________
The guy that said money can't buy happiness never bought a tank of fuel for a turbo diesel.............
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-23-2019, 10:20 PM
Whitetrash's Avatar
Whitetrash Whitetrash is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Estes Park, CO [Around 8000 Ft. Elv.]
Posts: 2,751
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinDodge View Post
Some of the sites are weird and that looks like no exception. We have a couple sites that are now running off the pipeline and selling the gas out of their digestor????

I think it’s a lot like farming and is most likely heavily subsidized by the government.
That wasn't the best link last night as it just talks about the court fight going on now. This link will give you a better idea about this project. I had to fill in running rolloff for the site in Ault and hauled a few boxes out of this place it's huge. The holding pond for the ahem Biomass is probably 1/2 an acre across. It ain't no wonder it sucks to be downwind
https://www.edf-re.com/project/heartland-biogas/
__________________
"Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery."
Winston Churchill
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-23-2019, 10:38 PM
SmokinDodge's Avatar
SmokinDodge SmokinDodge is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Missouri
Posts: 5,858
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitetrash View Post
That wasn't the best link last night as it just talks about the court fight going on now. This link will give you a better idea about this project. I had to fill in running rolloff for the site in Ault and hauled a few boxes out of this place it's huge. The holding pond for the ahem Biomass is probably 1/2 an acre across. It ain't no wonder it sucks to be downwind
https://www.edf-re.com/project/heartland-biogas/
You want nasty? Pull the intakes off an engine that’s been snorting that shit for 60,000 hours. Blech

I’m surprised they built it anywhere near houses. A lot of our locations are so rural any one in the area is likely an employee.
__________________
The guy that said money can't buy happiness never bought a tank of fuel for a turbo diesel.............
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-23-2019, 11:10 PM
terry lingle's Avatar
terry lingle terry lingle is offline
Something's Fishy ...
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Birch Island, BC, Canada
Posts: 5,257
Default

30 years ago I was offered the chance to bid on the maintenance contract on the MAN gen sets running on the methane from the sewage treatment plant on Iona island which is a part of the Vancouver airport complex.

These sets supply power to the airport which uses a lot of power thus reducing the grid load.

I took the tour read the documents and pulled the dipstick on an engine.
That oil smelled like the raw sewage which contained from the blow by down the cylinders. I declined to bid that contract as did every other company that I knew were asked to bid.

I found out later that the engines were just coming out of the original factory install/maintenance contract that was part of the tender for the gen set supply and that the supplier was not going to provide any further service.

Just disposing of the used oil and filters which were considered bio hazard waste was an almost impossible task.
Training a crew to meet work safe requirements would be an added cost and you might need a new crew for each service.
__________________
Life beats the alternative hands down.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-23-2019, 11:24 PM
Whitetrash's Avatar
Whitetrash Whitetrash is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Estes Park, CO [Around 8000 Ft. Elv.]
Posts: 2,751
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry lingle View Post
30 years ago I was offered the chance to bid on the maintenance contract on the MAN gen sets running on the methane from the sewage treatment plant on Iona island which is a part of the Vancouver airport complex.

These sets supply power to the airport which uses a lot of power thus reducing the grid load.

I took the tour read the documents and pulled the dipstick on an engine.
That oil smelled like the raw sewage which contained from the blow by down the cylinders. I declined to bid that contract as did every other company that I knew were asked to bid.

I found out later that the engines were just coming out of the original factory install/maintenance contract that was part of the tender for the gen set supply and that the supplier was not going to provide any further service.

Just disposing of the used oil and filters which were considered bio hazard waste was an almost impossible task.
Training a crew to meet work safe requirements would be an added cost and you might need a new crew for each service.
Our CEO has drank the Koolaid and is a global warming disciple. I thank the Big Man every day that I work at a small site in the mountains where CNG will not be cost effective for our fleet due to the logistics of building a CNG fueling station. Long Live Diesel http://mediaroom.wm.com/waste-manage...ille-kentucky/
__________________
"Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery."
Winston Churchill
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-23-2019, 11:50 PM
SmokinDodge's Avatar
SmokinDodge SmokinDodge is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Missouri
Posts: 5,858
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitetrash View Post
Our CEO has drank the Koolaid and is a global warming disciple. I thank the Big Man every day that I work at a small site in the mountains where CNG will not be cost effective for our fleet due to the logistics of building a CNG fueling station. Long Live Diesel http://mediaroom.wm.com/waste-manage...ille-kentucky/
The CNG isnt really bad. We had a fleet slip seating about 40 trucks making 200,000 miles a year per unit. The issue I took was the green weenies pushing how much more eco friendly the CNG is when infact it gets half the economy and the fuel is a little over half of what diesel normal runs. So, more fuel burnt, less power and higher cost. Reaaaal fucking green.
__________________
The guy that said money can't buy happiness never bought a tank of fuel for a turbo diesel.............
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-24-2019, 12:06 AM
Whitetrash's Avatar
Whitetrash Whitetrash is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Estes Park, CO [Around 8000 Ft. Elv.]
Posts: 2,751
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinDodge View Post
The CNG isnt really bad. We had a fleet slip seating about 40 trucks making 200,000 miles a year per unit. The issue I took was the green weenies pushing how much more eco friendly the CNG is when infact it gets half the economy and the fuel is a little over half of what diesel normal runs. So, more fuel burnt, less power and higher cost. Reaaaal fucking green.
OK, I only have an ancient propane truck for a performance comparison. We had a 20 Yd truck years ago we ran in town. It was a gutless pig. The helper used to run up the driveway to the transfer station and sit in the shack while the "Whale" labored up the driveway. The 1/2 the cost twice the fuel has been noted and I get to stir shit at morning meetings I'm old school diesels are what you use to get work done period. You don't use F--n Unicorn farts and Rainbows just my 2 cents.
__________________
"Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery."
Winston Churchill
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Web Search:

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.