Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 02-09-2019, 02:37 PM
Lubrication Consultant

It's more likely that it will be in the control arm bushings, strut tower bushings, and torque arm/s motor mounts will have some to do with it but they would be fairly easy to diagnose cause you will feel the motor jump forward or backward when you put it in either gear usually just by that alone the torque on the mounts can give you some indication if you feel the engine jump at all should be solid when engaged

best way to spot bad and worn bushings is to just look at which ones have more off-centered space or tears and bad cracks in the rubber and go from there to its other components... Sorry, I don't have a cad program and I prolly couldn't use it if I did so this is the best I can do for examples...

if a bushing is in good shape the center of the component and the bolt should be very close to center of the bushing if it is off-centered by half it's worn if it is off-centered by a great deal top bottom forward or back and rubber is collapsed to a point where there is bolt center to bushing housing it is bad
and or severely cracked rubber in a bushing it is worn and of course chunks of rubber gone, it is bad...

you can visually inspect these components to get an idea of where to start looking for you alignment issues this same principle will include motor mounts strut towers shock bushing pretty much any type of rubber suspension bushings including transmission mounts.

look for these things first then go to the under torque loads to check if some don't look right or are not obviously bad or worn...
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0245.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	186.3 KB
ID:	149301Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0244.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	204.7 KB
ID:	149302

I Have Only One Wish, To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!
Old 02-16-2019, 08:51 AM
Elite Member

Not familiar with the AWD Taurus, but am familiar with the evil handling caused by a broken control arm bushing. My FWD '96 and '99 Taurus has a similar setup to the Daewoo front control arm bushings. The rear bushings of the front control arm pivot normally. I would look first at the front end before chasing the rear end control arms.

The front bushing is hidden inside the sub-frame and would be hard to get an eyeball on. If you have the place and tools to work on it, pull the control arms out and replace the front bushings.

https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums...ad.php?t=48019

I should add that the sub-frame mounts get wanky at times, but they won't cause the extreme evilness of the front control arm bushings going south.

I believe in gun control.

Gun Control: The ability to consistently hit what you are aiming at.

Weldor by choice, engineer by necessity.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:27 AM

Apologies for starting a thread and then not following up. My son took the car away a week ago, so I have not had a chance to do anything more with it. Hence no further updates. Hopefully it will come back home soon.

Before it left, I did put a pry bar to the control arm rear bushings. With some encouragement I could induce about 1/4" movement on either side. There was no movement at all on the front pivots. Conceptually, 1/4" seems like a lot to me - that translates into quite an angle change at the wheel which would definitely affect alignment- but I don't know what would be considered normal. Both sides are the same. The bushings show individually on the parts lookup, but are not offered via Ford or my local NAPA. Both only sell complete control arm assemblies.

Any guidance on what would be considered normal for "give" in the rear bushing?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Control Arm rear bushing.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	8.3 KB
ID:	149535   Click image for larger version

Name:	Control Arm.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	149536   Click image for larger version

Name:	CA 1.png
Views:	28
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	149539   Click image for larger version

Name:	CA 2.png
Views:	25
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	149540  

Last edited by Big_Eddy; 02-19-2019 at 09:56 AM.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:01 AM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Eddy View Post
Apologies for starting a thread and then not following up. My son took the car away a week ago, so I have not had a chance to do anything more with it. Hence no further updates. Hopefully it will come back home soon.

Before it left, I did put a pry bar to the control arm rear bushings. With some encouragement I could induce about 1/4" movement on either side. There was no movement at all on the front pivots. Conceptually, 1/4" seems like a lot to me - that translates into quite an angle change at the wheel which would definitely affect alignment- but I don't know what would be considered normal. Both sides are the same. The bushings show individually on the parts lookup, but are not offered via Ford or my local NAPA. Both only sell complete control arm assemblies.

Any guidance on what would be considered normal for "give" in the rear bushing?
Try Rockauto.com for your parts you can get the same brands there as any local parts house and for sure no doubt cheaper...

Oh and need better pics without being so small can't see but the bushing, it looks to be in bad shape but again pic is too small for some of us half-blind farts.

Oh and please explain give? or play a bushing should have NO play, and as for give depending on how much force is used. but what is acceptable give.... a large amount of force will produce give in slight manor pry bar force should yield not much.

Last edited by MetalWolf; 02-19-2019 at 10:09 AM.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalWolf View Post
Oh and need better pics without being so small can't see but the bushing, it looks to be in bad shape but again pic is too small for some of us half-blind farts.
That was not a picture of my bushing - borrowed the picture to give an idea what it looked like overall. If the car were here - I could take some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalWolf View Post
Oh and please explain give? or play a bushing should have NO play, and as for give depending on how much force is used. but what is acceptable give.... a large amount of force will produce give in slight manor pry bar force should yield not much.
I used a 18" wrecking bar between the subframe and the control arm, and with a reasonable force on the end of it, I could stretch the rubber so the pivot shifted outward 1/4" . There is no slop or gap or looseness around the arm - and it springs back when I take the pressure off. More pressure did not result in more movement.
Old 02-19-2019, 04:12 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
That was not a picture of my bushing - borrowed the picture to give an idea what it looked like overall. If the car were here - I could take some.

I used a 18" wrecking bar between the subframe and the control arm, and with a reasonable force on the end of it, I could stretch the rubber so the pivot shifted outward 1/4" . There is no slop or gap or looseness around the arm - and it springs back when I take the pressure off. More pressure did not result in more movement.
No play is acceptable. Any perceptible movement in suspension parts in any direction other than their normal range of motion is a cause to change it. 18” bar doesn’t transmit near as much force as the road, engine and chug holes.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinDodge View Post
No play is acceptable. Any perceptible movement in suspension parts in any direction other than their normal range of motion is a cause to change it. 18” bar doesn’t transmit near as much force as the road, engine and chug holes.

Thanks
That was what I expected to hear but given both sides are the same was not positive. I'll get parts on order.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
Old 02-19-2019, 06:17 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Thanks
That was what I expected to hear but given both sides are the same was not positive. I'll get parts on order.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinDodge View Post
No play is acceptable. Any perceptible movement in suspension parts in any direction other than their normal range of motion is a cause to change it.
That is the best way to explain it...

Rubber/neoprene bushings are fairly stout and will have some flex to them under force or pressure but as SmokinD mentioned within their normal range
So if you use an 18" pry bar while on the ground and you get 1/4" of flex or travel in a bushing it is worn and needs replacing now with that being said off the ground is a different story, depending on which position you pry on the bushing you will be able to force it to move but good bushing will only move very slightly worn bushing will have much more movement.

Old 02-22-2019, 05:43 PM
Post Fiend

As Neal implied, ANY looseness in a front end is unacceptable. If you can induce 1/4" play with a pry bar, be confident that the car "under load" can induce much more. Which will cause a "wander" or pull...

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
Lincoln Patriot autodark (freebie)
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...
Old 03-17-2019, 06:36 PM

Almost a month later but got the parts, got the car back, fixed the press, and finally replaced the lower control arm rear bushings on both sides. Problem gone. Yay!

Sent from my iPad using ShopFloorTalk mobile app