Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 03-07-2019, 12:48 PM

Default WTB: new camera system

I need a new home camera system. I have a 4 camera system right now, but it's about 10 years old and is starting to show its age. It's been getting random static on the images for a bit now and yesterday it completely froze up. I had to reset the system a few times and finally got it working again. I know its only a matter of time before it goes completely dead.

It's a good system, I used to work for ADT as an installer and this was top of the line about 10 years ago, but I want to be able to view it on my phone, and I have some other features that I want, so I'm looking for suggestions for a new system. I'm not in contact with the guys at ADT anymore, so I don't really know what's out there. I don't really need it for security reasons, I use it mainly to view who's in my driveway when I'm in my man cave downstairs, and the wife and kids use it alot for "What did I do with my purse when I came home two days ago?" I'd prefer hardwired so I never have to deal with batteries, but I'm not opposed to wireless. I can run all my own cabling.

List of needs:
1. I want to be able to pull up the live current view of any camera on my smartphone.
2. I don't need to pull up past recordings on my phone, I want a DVR for that.
3. Be able to view from a monitor.
4. No monthly fees.
5. Minimum 6 channel, indoor/outdoor, IR camera capable..
6. To be able to pan (180°) and tilt camera remotely via smartphone. (Not even sure if this is technologically possible yet, but I have one outdoor camera location that I would love to do this with)

Any suggestions that will cover all these points?
Old 03-07-2019, 01:02 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
I need a new home camera system. I have a 4 camera system right now, but it's about 10 years old and is starting to show its age. It's been getting random static on the images for a bit now and yesterday it completely froze up. I had to reset the system a few times and finally got it working again. I know its only a matter of time before it goes completely dead.

It's a good system, I used to work for ADT as an installer and this was top of the line about 10 years ago, but I want to be able to view it on my phone, and I have some other features that I want, so I'm looking for suggestions for a new system. I'm not in contact with the guys at ADT anymore, so I don't really know what's out there. I don't really need it for security reasons, I use it mainly to view who's in my driveway when I'm in my man cave downstairs, and the wife and kids use it alot for "What did I do with my purse when I came home two days ago?" I'd prefer hardwired so I never have to deal with batteries, but I'm not opposed to wireless. I can run all my own cabling.

List of needs:
1. I want to be able to pull up the live current view of any camera on my smartphone.
2. I don't need to pull up past recordings on my phone, I want a DVR for that.
3. Be able to view from a monitor.
4. No monthly fees.
5. Minimum 6 channel, indoor/outdoor, IR camera capable..
6. To be able to pan (180°) and tilt camera remotely via smartphone. (Not even sure if this is technologically possible yet, but I have one outdoor camera location that I would love to do this with)

Any suggestions that will cover all these points?
I'm not sure but HF has a DVR 6 camera system it might fit your needs except for the rotating camera and I'm not sure if the WIFI part is free service but it might not hurt to check it out...

I Have Only One Wish, To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!
Old 03-07-2019, 01:16 PM
Post Fiend

I've been looking at something like THIS on Debay for $170. Noting that it doesn't have a hard drive but one could be added. Systems are rated well but I'm still researching. You'll need a network connection to be able to view remotely which is what I'm after. Not a fan of the Alexa/Google "home" systems...

PS: although wireless, you will still need a 120 outlet to run the power adapters for the cameras. I couldn't see going with a wired system, nowadays but I'm sure you could get a system pretty cheap. HF had a wired system for $240ish with hard drive and small monitor. But I'm sure many of us have an old monitor that could be repurposed for security use...

PPS: I know someone with a wireless rotatable indoor camera. More of a novelty at this point. I think it was around $60ish from Zamazon.

I'm following this thread...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	171.7 KB
ID:	149751  

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
Lincoln Patriot autodark (freebie)
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...

Last edited by mccutter; 03-07-2019 at 01:22 PM.
Old 03-07-2019, 02:05 PM
Curmudgeon

Scratch, I have an 8 camera system; the brand name of the dvr is Faittoo, which was available on Amazon for about $80 with no hard drive installed. I put a terrabyte in it which runs it for about 30 to 50 days before it starts recording over at the beginning.
I picked this brand because I wanted at least one tilt/pan/zoom camera in the system & that required a 960H compatible system. And, as per your requirement, it is easy to setup for viewing on your phone using the IP Pro app. It also allows any combination of IP or hard wired analog cameras. My son ran the wires for me & we got it up & running in less than half a day a couple of years ago. I was able to watch my little corner of the world from my hospital bed during the lost summer of 2017, which provided me considerable entertainment.

Now that I've typed all of that, I see that today Amazon says:
"Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock."
However, it might be helpful to read the item description just to get the list of features to compare to other systems that are available. It might give you a better checklist of features to meet your expectations.
And of course, there are several competitive systems recommended on that page.
Oh, and in case you're interested, the TPZ camera is pretty cool too. The least expensive one I found at the time was this Sunba for about $80, also "currently unavailable".
However, there are many competitive listed on that link starting at about $110. I'm glad I bought 2 at the time. My other cameras came with a plain Zosi system, just the standard analog hard wired bullet cameras.

All told, I spent just about $300 at the time which left me with a surplus Zosi dvr that I gave away. It has been a good investment for me with respect to peace of mind as well as entertainment.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 03-07-2019, 03:11 PM
Master Procrastinator

I know nothing about these, but I'm about to. I want to see if they're compatible with what I have in mind. https://nest.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI...E&gclsrc=aw.ds They continue to add new stuff to the list of 'appliances'.

Pray like everything depends on God, and work like everything depends on you.
Old 03-07-2019, 03:29 PM
Post Fiend

I just put in a blink set of three cameras in my shop. I’m pretty happy with them but they are static. No monthly fee is the best part
Old 03-09-2019, 01:25 AM
Lubrication Consultant

I'm sure this is prolly not feasible as the system seems to have changed upgradable I'm sure but I think its a bit pricy for just coming with only two cameras but does do all you wanted other than rotating a camera
I don't see where it offers any hosting information and I can't see the fine prints stuff so might not be worth looking at.

Name:	63842_W1SS.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	195.7 KB
ID:	149775

Old 03-13-2019, 02:05 PM
Post Fiend

Question Might have a winner?

I've been thinking HARD about this setup from Zamazon for $190. LINK Seems to have everything I'm looking for and is well-rated (4 out of 5 stars).

Initially, I was thinking of using wireless cameras BUT a power source would still have to be plumbed for each camera not near a power outlet. In my case, to put a wireless camera outside my door, I will have to route conduit to an outlet 6' from the light switch below that is just inside the door. The camera will be under the soffit above the door outside and I don't want it easily unplugged nor do I think the power pack would reach from the eaves of the 12' ceiling.

With a wired system, both the video and power cables are bundled and in my case, would be "easier" to route in the rafters than running an outlet and attaching to existing wiring. And it will easier allow for moving the camera, if necessary. One "issue" will be that I have to get an additional 100' cable assy. to be able to reach the DVR box, about $9. The included cables are 60'.

Another issue is that I will have to put the wires inside some flex or liquidtite where they lay inside the soffit as I suspect that is a pathway for rodents. I have the liquidtite already so shouldn't be a very big deal.

I also looked at this set from NewEgg for $144. LINK It could also work but I'm always leery of "open box" items. Mainly: Why was it returned? That is the last pic.

So what do you think?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	zosi1.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	149914   Click image for larger version

Name:	zosi2.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	149915   Click image for larger version

Name:	bnc100ft.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	149916   Click image for larger version

Name:	zmodo.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	149917  

MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart 250ci plasma
Old 03-19-2019, 12:44 AM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccutter View Post
I've been thinking HARD about this setup from Zamazon for $190. LINK Seems to have everything I'm looking for and is well-rated (4 out of 5 stars).
The bullet was bitten and I picked up the above. As mentioned I also picked up some 100' cables (video/12v power). So far I built a shelf for it and mounted my 24" shop TV and one camera to the underside which covers most of the office and the safe. As usual, the shelf is overkill but I used some closet brackets I had leftover from an auction lot (ie: free) with toggles in the top holes. It ain't going nowhere!

I had a mounting adapter for the TV from an auction lot (ie: free) and created a bracket out of 2"x1/8" Al and mounted the adapter to it after removing the base. The adapter allows the TV to be slid up and off of it if necessary. I connected the Zosi with an HDMI but have a VGA cable at home I am going to use instead. This will allow me to hook the Roku back up in the HDMI port not that I ever watch it... The black thing on the wall above the breaker box is the antenna which receives a number of decent OTA channels. I usually keep it on MeTV. Kids each got one of these 720p Orions for Christmas about 5 years ago but have now moved onto bigger and better TVs. They now live in the shops and are quite happy although the remotes are pooched. Buttons on the side easily turn it on and change the source from TV to security monitor.

I left enough room on the shelf for the mouse to live to be able to program the Zosi. As soon as it was all plugged in and turned on the image from the one camera was viewable. I programmed the password and changed the number of screens showing from 8 to 4. I need to get a 20'ish CAT5 cable to hook it to the router then I will be able to program/view it from my phone or computer at home (for example). They include a Q-code you can scan with your phone that makes it easy to set it up as long as the app is already downloaded and installed.

I really need to tidy up the wiring on top with a different power strip but more importantly install the M-to-M BNC adapter shown below of which a 5-pack has been ordered. I do have F-to-F connectors which allow the joining of cables which was the opposite of what I was looking for in this case. I had hoped to just plug the 3' camera cable in the back of the Zosi but it was not quite that simple. I temporarily plugged in one of the included 60' cables to check function. I'll eventually bring in the other cables from a hole in the ceiling once they are mounted.

Anyhow, so far so good...

PS: you can see my 70* cardboard pizza slice on the table I am using to visualize the camera viewable area. And not shown in the first pic is a 1-to-4 power adapter for the 4 camera's power. And another power pack is for the Zosi. Everything runs on 12v DC (via power brick) if you wanted to wire up your motor home or make an intricate dash cam, for example!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	zosi1.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	150006   Click image for larger version

Name:	inplace.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	177.7 KB
ID:	150007   Click image for larger version

Name:	inplacecloseup.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	166.6 KB
ID:	150008   Click image for larger version

Name:	bncmtom.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	150009  

MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart 250ci plasma

Last edited by mccutter; 03-19-2019 at 01:31 AM.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:59 AM
Lubrication Consultant

Hey, That looks pretty clear. looks to be a fairly decent system... what is the distance on the clear focal point...

Tags
camera, cctv